Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 1:31pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Track & Equipment Conditions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Track & Equipment Conditions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Track & Equipment Conditions  (Read 4212 times)
Hulka
Railfan
Re: Track & Equipment Conditions

« Reply #40 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 7:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It will be sad to see it go but on the other hand if they already have a working crane that looks to be in a lot better condition than #11.  I rather see them sell it for money and use it towards #60 or some track work that needs to be done.  

Same goes for the rail yard first impression.  I remember going there to ride #60 when I was a kid and the place was a lot cleaner looking.  Last time I was there was around 2002 or 2003 the place looked like a rail car grave yard.  My wife, at that time my girlfriend thought I was crazy when I told here I used to come up here as a kid to ride the train with my grandfather.  First impression to her was a rail road grave yard.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 8:59pm »

on Feb 26th, 2007, 6:45pm, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cool pics. it is sad to see the fate of the old cars and cranes

Anthony

Anthony, sometimes it isnt sad, cause stuff like that, attract people like me, and they keep coming back to see it, so in a way, it is pretty cool

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #42 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 9:35pm »

Back onto the track subject.  Despite the track being bad, I'm sure they can still run on it- just go slow.  Engine weight does affect the track....but then again it doesn't.  The thing that you have to worry about is axle loading- tons per axle.  That is why many of the CNW/Soo/Milwaukee Road/etc. engines were 6 axle because they had similar power and weight as a comparable 4 axle unit, but being a loco had 6 axles, their was less weight on the rail at that particular spot.  6 axles also allow the locomotive to "float" and track better on rough track.

Track work can move along very fast if you get a good crew out there and just go at it full strength.  Good equipment like a Harsco/Plasser tamper, tie inserter, spiker, etc. helps greatly as well.  Most of that equipment is pricey even well used and many shortlines subcontract that work out if they don't own the equipment.

Good luck to you guys at BRW.  If I were closer or gas was about $1/gal cheaper, I would help out.  I look forward to visiting your operation some time this year.

Steve

Got Steam!!!
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 6:21pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 26th, 2007, 8:59pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Anthony, sometimes it isnt sad, cause stuff like that, attract people like me, and they keep coming back to see it, so in a way, it is pretty cool

Very good point. sometimes it attracks me to things  ........................let's get back on topic with thetrack  remember it cost money to to all of that work

Anthony

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 7:18pm »

on Feb 27th, 2007, 6:21pm, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Very good point. sometimes it attracks me to things  ........................let's get back on topic with thetrack  remember it cost money to to all of that work

Anthony
There won't be much to say about track in February. At least the crane posts generated some interest. The topic is Track & Equipment Conditions.

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2007, 7:26pm by maps53 » Logged
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 8:41pm »

on Feb 26th, 2007, 6:43pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
UH OH. Sorry. I swear I looked for it quite some time ago and it was'nt there.. I can't remember. Did they move it from it's old spot? Now I am confused. Well at least that crane is still around. I'm glad our trust director and chairman cleared it up. Sorry for the false report. As punishment I will drive across town tomorrow after work and find it.  Jim.

did you ever go and find it? lol

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 4:21pm »

on Feb 27th, 2007, 8:41pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

did you ever go and find it? lol
Oh yes. I did find it. It's still in it's old spot as in your photo.  Jim.

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 10:13pm »

Having just gone over several messages it appears that everyone's heart is in the right place in preserving the history and heritage of the railroad.  A long time ago, in an obsure book on NJ railroads, it was said that every home in NJ was within 6 miles of a rail line.  It did not make much sense to me at the time, until one considers that there are no more trolleys running and they made up a large part of the rail infrastructure by which the statement was made.  Conversely, if one looks at the current rail lines and what has ben added after Conrail ripped out or abandoned non-profitable routes, we have more rails in NJ today than 2 decades ago.  They are needed more and more each and every day.  We also need the human capital to keep them running, and to preserve our rail heritage and history as well.  One or two people can begin to make a difference at bringing things back to life, but to maintain that effort requires one or two dozen in retrospect.  Anyone can begin by volunteering and receive training and qualify to do any job they desire, providing that desire is not limited to only the written word.  Besides, you may have a friend who would like a new experience as well, so just think of the team effort you could develop in that aspect. Your limitations are only limited to your imagination and desire.

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2008, 10:17pm by PRR4811 » Logged
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #48 on: Feb 13th, 2008, 8:34am »

For a couple of weeks beginning Monday Feb 18 there will be major track work taking place in Ringoes yard. Preliminary work has already begun and several ties have been installed.

The goal of this project is to immediately fix the worst sections of yard trackage and switches. Everyone is tired of yard derailments!

By the way, if anyone goes to the yard for any reason over the next few weeks, keep your eyes open for vandalism. Recently several more windows were smashed out of the Boonton cars and 2 fire extinguishers were discharged in one of the CN cars (#494). The bright side is that our Chief Enforcer is onto the hoodlums and will see that things get set straight. (Note, while I certainly do not advocate vigilante justice, I must say I'm rather amused by it).

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Feb 14th, 2008, 8:33am »

I think it's safe to say we're all disheartened by the vandalism in the Ringoes yard, and hope the perpetrators are caught.  All it does is set back the work the railroad is trying to do to make things better......

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  windows_mike.jpg - 24228 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 8:17am »

Saturday was a very productive day. Several volunteers were on the property working on just about every project we have going. Some of us worked on preparing the new windows for installation in the Bishop, guys were working on #60, we had a crew clean up the fire extinguisher mess in coach 494, freight ran, and a crew removed all the non-original material from the inside of our baggage car to begin the museum project.

We'll be back to work on the window frames this Saturday. If you want to help out contact Dick Hague, as he is in charge of this project.

Unfortunately it doesn't look too good for having the combine in service for the Easter trains, but we should be seeing it back on the train for opening day in May. Same goes for the windows in the Bishop....a handful of them may be installed by Easter, and they should all be in by May. (The Bishop will be on the Easter trains regardless how many windows have been replaced). We may also be getting new folding chairs to replace the aging, stained, rickety ones currently in the Bishop.

I don't have many pics yet, but will post more as I get them. Attached is yours trully staining window frames. Photo by Dick Hague.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/windows_mike.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  windows_gene.jpg - 21955 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 8:19am »

Gene Bally (aka Santa Claus) sands window frames. Photo by Dick Hague.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/windows_gene.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  freight.jpg - 56929 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Feb 19th, 2008, 8:23am »

752 returns light from freight. They didn't bring any cars back to Ringoes because of the track work taking place this week. They had to do some real gymnastics to get the passenger coaches to the station for cleaning, and ended up leaving the whole string of hacks and Scott's ore ginny at the station for the day. Photo by Dick Hague.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/freight.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 8:44am »

From the way it sounds, there will be only two serviceable coaches for the Easter trains (the 2 Canadian cars).  That being said, any chance of putting a couple of cabooses in the consist - i.e. one on each end??  Looking forward to Springtime......

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #54 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 9:38am »

The current plan is for the passenger consist on the Easter trains to be (in no particular order) 491, 494, and the Bishop. It's possible one the hacks will find its way onto the train but will not be open to passengers. Most of the hacks don't have adequate heat for passenger service, and the Bunny can't visit any passengers sitting in them since there's not a safe way for it to cross into the hack.

When we begin actually replacing the windows in the Bishop they will be done in small batches of 5-6 at a time so the car does not need to be taken out of service.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 5:10pm »

Just stopped up at Ringoes today, and a new building has been erected before the curve of the mill track. Yard track work is supposed to begin tomorrow morning. Nothing is in the yard except for the two amtrak bagage cars, the 420, the red observation, everything behind the doodlebug and the shop that 60 is in. otherwise all the cabooses, coaches and everything are on the runaround. 752 and one pipe car are on the main and a pipe car is in the yard. I wish I couldve taken some pictures, but my brother lost the camera. I should be getting a new on by the time the easter trains are running. Progress for the BRW is looking good.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Feb 26th, 2008, 8:30am »

It's sounding good.  I'm getting psyched about coming down there in a couple of weeks......

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #57 on: Mar 2nd, 2008, 4:49pm »

I went to the BRW today, looked around and some minor things changed   There are two NEW SWITCHES that have been placed in the yard, A bunch of NEW TIES and New everything, even the rail is heavier than the track that was previously there. Trackwork is almost finished and its unbelievable. Also 752 had the white strip painted on the side, "Black River" was redone in white paint, and all the handrails were painted. yellow and white.  The new track is up to NS/ CSX standards!!  

Wow great job BRW.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #58 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 7:35am »

Trackwork continues this week. Following are a few pictures of last week's progress. A couple of the switches have been installed, new rail and ties have been installed on the south ends of the mill track and pad track, and the mill track switch moved north by several feet. As you can see in the pictures, some of this track has yet to be leveled and it all needs to be tamped, but it's definitely looking good.  

Those remaining chores should happen this week, and I believe they'll be working their way up the main towards the station platform, but I'm not sure how far they'll be going. Most likely not north of the engine house lead.

In other news, our bridge at Ringoes over Route 579 was hit by a truck on Saturday just after lunchtime. I don't have many details yet, but the early report was that the truck only damaged the crash bar on the bridge and not the bridge structure itself. I have some pictures and will post tomorrow.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  100_0690_991x745.jpg - 182908 Bytes
« Reply #59 on: Mar 3rd, 2008, 7:49am »

Tampers are fun.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (182908 bytes, 991x745 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 100_0690_991x745.jpg - 182908 Bytes

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »