Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 4:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Track & Equipment Conditions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Track & Equipment Conditions
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Track & Equipment Conditions  (Read 4222 times)
maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: Track & Equipment Conditions

« Reply #20 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 8:41pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Standard GP9. Weight- fully loaded... 244,000 min. lbs.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #21 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 11:21am »

I think the reality is Colin, that the track is the culprit, not the engine.

The suspension sytems of the Steam Loco vrs. a Diesel differ in many ways....mainly leaf springs vrs. coil springs.

It's not the damage the engine is doing to the track, its the expensive and time consuming damage the track is doing to the engine.

cjvrr
TRAINing

« Reply #22 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 1:25pm »

on Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:55pm, pumpkin_head wrote:       (Click here for original message)
man power to cut  down the forrest thats grown in the gauge.

PH,  there is no forest IN the gauge.  The Volunteer Railroaders Association and a few BR&W guys cleared the line south from Ringoes.  Up until last summer it was passible with railroad motorcars.    

It would go a long way if the entire line was sprayed with Roundup in the spring.   The briars tend to grow 6" per day in the summer so they are a constant battle.  The line north of Ringoes and into Flemington is kept in better shape than between Flemington and Three Bridges.

cjvrr
TRAINing

« Reply #23 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 1:31pm »

on Feb 6th, 2007, 6:47pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why can't old coaches be moved on NS? Would NS ever allow a public excursion, steam or diesel on it's tracks, why or why not? Is the line still intact from Flemington to Somerville? The ex-CNJ line?

rwk,

Friction Bearing trucks (which these cars have) are no longer accepted in interchange.  Most of the Class I railroads will NOT let them on their tracks.   If they were on roller bearing trucks, NS might interchange them if they met all the other requirements.   In the long run it may be cheaper to put it on a flatcar or truck it outright.

Public Excursions on NS and CSX are discouraged through their insurance requirements.   I believe it is a $100 million dollar minimum.   This makes ticket prices to the public unrealistically high.  Hence the reason there are almost no public excursions on NS and CSX and won't be for quite some time.

Chris, not affiliated with the BR&W group.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #24 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:56pm »

It is true that we pay more attention to the line between Flemington & Ringoes, since that is where our passengers generally ride. There are several track projects in the works by the BR&W, including extensive weed spraying of the line from Three Bridges to Ringoes. Leftover weeds-die-forever juice may be used to tame the jungle on the line to Lambertville.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #25 on: Feb 14th, 2007, 7:26pm »

Are there any plans for work to be done to the BR&W caboose 200?

Cornwall Railroad Historian
RCT&HS Member & Volunteer
Co Moderator of the Reading & Northern board

"Don't overlook the shortlines - Bigger isn't always better!"
Black_River_Joe
Historian
  975.jpg - 77141 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 7:54pm »

speaking of cabooses, what happened to this one

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/975.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
de-rail
Historian
  BRWRR_072-2.jpg - 21660 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 8:02pm »

Never seen it before Joe. But it has the same shape as 200, and the same yellow stripes.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRWRR_072-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
caboose9
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 8:29pm »

brw_60_752 - "Speaking of cabooses, what happened to this one?

Hi,

This one looks like BR&W 34, an ex-RDG Class NMj caboose that is/was in Scranton, PA.

Happy Hunting, Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 11:08pm »

ok now what is going on with #11. it is just sitting in Flemington rusting. Is 11 ever gonna be restored? is the trust gonna do something with it in the future? cant they at least take the weeds and brush off of it?  every time i head to the BRW i see that crane, it brings a "dead" look to the railroad, if you are a guy from out of state, remember "first impressions last"

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  1125.jpg - 49426 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Feb 15th, 2007, 11:11pm »

for those of you that dont know, #11 is the american crane car

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/1125.jpg
Click Image to Resize

de-rail
Historian
  Good_crane_pic.jpg - 44758 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 9:54am »

Well they don't really need it since they have the nice one.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Good_crane_pic.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 12:50pm »

yea but that one is a short one , #11 is an AMERICAN crane car and is part of the original Black River fleet . it has the diamond which is why something should be done , but not sell it

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 12:54pm »

also they could fix it so they can display it at railroad days like moving stuff in the yard, like parts and stuff and let people use it as an activity and the other crane says BDRV not just BRW, this is an original piece of  the Black River and should be restored.

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #34 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 5:26pm »

on Feb 15th, 2007, 11:08pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
ok now what is going on with #11. it is just sitting in Flemington rusting. Is 11 ever gonna be restored? is the trust gonna do something with it in the future? cant they at least take the weeds and brush off of it?  every time i head to the BRW i see that crane, it brings a "dead" look to the railroad, if you are a guy from out of state, remember "first impressions last"
It's not there anymore. I did not ask where it went. It is an interesting piece as all railcranes are.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 8:22pm »

ITS GONE!!!!? when did they do this?

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 2:27pm »

The BRW American crane and its flatcar remain on Ralston siding in Flemington. There are no current plans to either dispose of or restore this equipment. As someone else pointed out, the BRW has a functional crane and fortunately does not have a need for two. This would be a nice piece to see restored, but it does not have any significant historical value and it is very low on the totem pole / wish list right now.

There is some track rehabilitation being planned for the area where this crane is stored, so it is likely that it will be moved in the not-so-distant future. Never fear, it will probably be moved to Ringoes.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 6:32pm »

ok thats  good i guess, at least they will be moving after several years, when is the track work supposed to begin about?

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 6:43pm »

UH OH. Sorry. I swear I looked for it quite some time ago and it was'nt there.. I can't remember. Did they move it from it's old spot? Now I am confused. Well at least that crane is still around. I'm glad our trust director and chairman cleared it up. Sorry for the false report. As punishment I will drive across town tomorrow after work and find it.  Jim.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #39 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 6:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Cool pics. it is sad to see the fate of the old cars and cranes

Anthony

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »