Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 10:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Track & Equipment Conditions
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Track & Equipment Conditions  (Read 4190 times)
cnj1524
Railfan

« on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 9:29am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Will they be regrading the track because I was told the reason(other than restoration)is that 60's leaf springs were breaking because of bad track conditions.
Last time I was there it looked like the deadline has also grown with coaches,DLW's
CNJ's,open window cars.Anybody have any info about whats happening with these cars as they have been oos for sometime.I also read about the doodlebug(private owned) being restored but it looks like that has stopped.

« Last Edit: Jan 15th, 2007, 8:16pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
Black_River_Joe
Historian
Re: track & equipment conditions?

« Reply #1 on: Nov 23rd, 2006, 10:12am »

i dont know but i would like them to restore the line to lambertville

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 9:15am »

Their track has always been bad...notoriously bad.

The South end to Lambertville was always the worse end, but the north end wasn't that much better.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 10:06pm »

on Nov 24th, 2006, 9:15am, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Their track has always been bad...notoriously bad.

The South end to Lambertville was always the worse end, but the north end wasn't that much better.

.... which is why they should fix the line to lambertville and then when 60 is fixed, they can run it there making enough money for the north end

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 10:14am »

Well, it's been said time and again...passenger trains don't pay the bills...freight does.

They should concentrate track work on the north end first...that's where their most revenue comes in ....the south end has NO freight whatsoever....no potential either for it.  And the old "if you build it they will come" train of thought doesn't always work.

Reinstating passenger only service to Lambertville, with steam no less, will only put them more in the hole financially.

Best chance for L-ville is maybe get the line into class 1 (15mph) standards and seeing the 4666 go back into serivce on it.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 3:53pm »

The Black River Railroad Historical Trust intends to restore full passenger service to the Southern Division of the Black River & Western Railroad as soon as possible. However, this will not be within the next few years because of several factors. There is some limited freight potential for the line, including a lumber outlet and a micro brewery, but this in itself would not sustain the line. The primary problem we face in any project like this is manpower. Even if we had the money to do this project tomorrow, there are not enough volunteers to run the trains. Come volunteer!!!

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 8:15pm »

Welcome to the forums, BRWRuckus! Enjoy your stay here!

I for one would love to see the Lambertville section of the line rehabilitated, but as you said it won't be done anytime soon. Maybe part of the problem is that the BRW historical trust is not advertising enough. I'm sure if they put out ads "Help save the Lambertvile branch", you might just start to see some volunteers.

Oh well...
Joe...

Black_River_Joe
Historian
Re: Track & Equipment Conditions

« Reply #7 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 10:28pm »

i would love to volenteer to help restore the lambertville branch

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 3:53pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I would to

WELCOME TO RAILFAN  BRWRuckus

Anthony

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:38pm »

Thanks for the welcome guys. My name is Mike. I am one of the Directors of the BRRHT and I am in charge of our Public Relations/Advertising efforts.  

One of the perenial problems at the BRW has been poor advertising. This is something we have recently begun working on, and much time will be spent this year attempting to recruit new members.

As far as the Lambertville service goes, more volunteers are certainly the key. We will need many things to be worked out....everything from appropriate equipment, to insurance costs, advertising expenses, schedules, maintanance, capital investment (initial repairs), you name it.

I am not at liberty to go into detail about our current plans for Lambertville. What I can say is that we will begin working on restoration of Lambertville service the very instant we see it as being within our human and financial means.

My personal LONG term vision? "High speed" steam runs between Flemington and Lambertville....ah that'll be the day. And high speed....well that can be anything over 20 mph and it would be a pleasant change from the ordinary steam train ride!

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jan 22nd, 2007, 3:45pm »

Since this is a Track & "Equipment" Conditions topic what do you know in the lines of what coach will be restored next. Last time I asked anyone that they told me that it would be wich ever one was going to cost less, and I think that was you.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #11 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 7:56am »

That's a tough call, and it's one that hasn't been made yet. Restoration work on BRW coach 491 is nearing completion. This coach was used on regular BRW passenger trains until mid summer 2006. It has had some minor draft and running gear work done, some rewiring, and interior cosmetic restoration.

We are interested in restoring one or more of the "Boonton" cars currently in storage at Ringoes yard, however they will require very expensive truck work to be returned to service.

The best candidate at this point is probably the former CNJ 1009 coach in storage on the BDRV. The major obstacle is moving it to the Ringoes yard since it is on friction bearing trucks that NS doesn't play nice with.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 4:40pm »

then why dont they restore the open window car BRW #302 and cut some bushes...that would attract more people

pumpkin_head
TRAINing

« Reply #13 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 8:55pm »

Rebuilding the line to Lambertville would be amazing.... except it might give the NHRR a run for their money... From what I've seen thought, that track (or lack there of in some places) needs a ton of work. Being that the going price of a tie is around $28 and you'd need how many It be a fortune in wood alone not to mention balast, spikes, rail, plates, and of course the most pricey of all man power to cut  down the forrest thats grown in the gauge.

However, they could probaly cordinate some cool trips with the lambertville station diner.

"oh well"
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 3:57pm »

they could have volenteers that do everything all the BRW has to do is to buy the stuff which will save like 5,000 dollars and welcome pumpkin head

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 6:45pm »

WELCOME TO RAILFAN pumpkin_head...........

Anthony

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 2:15pm »

Unfortunately the volunteers can't do everything. You can only get so far with a "weekend workforce".

The actual cost of installing one new wood tie is approximately $150-$175, including labor and materials.

The work that we know needs doing on the Southern Division includes significant tie replacement, reinforcement of the sub-roadbed along sections of the creek and canal, and bridge redecking. Some structural issues may need to be addressed on a couple of bridges as well.

Lots of money...lots of time.  

Meanwhile, there's several miles of BRW trackage in service that need constant attention so it doesn't end up in the same situation. The last thing we need is a nice rebuild Lambertville railroad....that can't connect to the outside world because we neglected the railroad in between!

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
rwk
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 6:47pm »

Why can't old coaches be moved on NS? Would NS ever allow a public excursion, steam or diesel on it's tracks, why or why not? Is the line still intact from Flemington to Somerville? The ex-CNJ line?

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 7:20pm »

im pretty sure that the somerville line is not operating because there are about 15 or so freight cars at the switch in three bridges

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Feb 6th, 2007, 7:27pm »

I have a question, maybe Mike can help me out with this one -

Are the conditions of the track so bad that #60 can not run on the BR&W? If my memory does me right, and the employee I asked about 10 years ago or so knew what he was talking about, he told me that 60 weighs 100 tons...flat. I'm not sure how much a early geep weighs in at (either 7 or 9) but I can't imagine it weighs any less than 90 tons, right? Hence the reason I can't understand why 60 would cause problems. I'm slightly confused about that.

Thanks,
Colin

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »