Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 11:44pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Steam Loco #148
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Steam Loco #148
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Steam Loco #148  (Read 723 times)
Hulka
Railfan
Steam Loco #148

« on: Oct 24th, 2006, 6:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What time frame did the #148 run at BR&W?  http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/5398/brw.htm

Is a link that I saw it on.  I saw a picture somewhere else of it pulling a few coaches.  Anyone have any info on it?

J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: Steam Loco #148

« Reply #1 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 8:15am »

This one, you mean? http://www.geocities.com/brw148/brw148.jpg

I'm not sure of the exact time she ran, but judging from the looks of the photo, perhaps the late 1960's, early 70's, and maybe even the 80's.  

She's no longer at the BR&W, as she only had a short career there... not quite sure where she went to though, anybody else know?

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 8:25am »

Guys,

First of all, that is a beautiful picture of those classic FEC Pacifics. Now I could be one hundred and ten per cent wrong on the next thing I write. But I thought I saw a picture of the #148 some place up in Michigan. Cab was off, boiler was in primer.
Saw this pic in Trains mag. some time ago. Anyone else see that pic?

As an aside, I had the very good fortune to be able, years ago, to ride in the cab of sister engines #113 and #153 at the Gold Coast Railroad Museum when it was located in Ft. Lauderdale,Fl. Ah, fond memories.

Take care,

Bruce

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Oct 29th, 2006, 10:42pm »

I was just wondering because my grandfather would take me up there when I was a kid to ride the train in the early to mid 1980's I think it was.  I was just wondering if it was #60 or #148 that pulled the coaches.  I guess I will hope that they have some pictures somewhere to tell for sure.  I wonder if they ever ran at the same time?  

Those were the days though...........take the train to Flemington from Ringoes then back to Ringoes from Flemington, jump off at Ringoes and get on the moterized coach car and head to Lambertville.  The engineer used to let me sit up by him going to Lambertville for 3/4 of the way.  One section I had to go back to me seat.  I forget the reason why, but as a little kid you did not care it was so cool, and still is, to ride up front and see what is going on.

pennsy643

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:00pm »

on Oct 24th, 2006, 6:02pm, Hulka wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What time frame did the #148 run at BR&W?  http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Bleachers/5398/brw.htm

Is a link that I saw it on.  I saw a picture somewhere else of it pulling a few coaches.  Anyone have any info on it?  

Please see my post under "what ever happened to..." for information about some of the BR&W's past engines.

But to answer this one question.  148 ran on the BR&W during 1971, 1972, and 1973.  It moved to the Morristown & Erie RR at Whippany, NJ in 1974.  The M&E ran 148 on their Whippany Toonerville tourist train during 1974, 1975, 1976., and 1977. The last time 148 was under steam--anyplace--was in the fall of 1977.  Since then she has been stored (and sometimes worked on) in NJ, MA, CT, and (to answer another question) yes Michigan.  Today 148 is in Colorado and supposed to be restored to operation (although I haven't heard any new news lately from CO about 148 ).

Regards,
Jim Robinson

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:03pm by pennsy643 » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

brw148.jpg - 29131 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:14pm »

Hi Jim,

Nice to know one of my favorite Pacifics is alive and well.

In the time frame at BR&W, I got a chance to ride to Ringoes in her cab. Great experience and I even tried to quill the steam whistle. Almost made a whipoorwill.  

Here she is in all her glory. Enjoy

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/brw148.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:15pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 3:25pm »

Jim,

Thanks for the info update on the 148. I glad I'm not loseing my mind yet.

Alan,    

Great picture. I get goose bumps just looking at it.  Thanks for shareing.

Take care,

Bruce

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 6:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Nice pic Pennsy
~AnthonyD~

bluecomet68
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 1:16pm »

Great to see that shot. I saw 148 on one of her last years of service. I remember going with my Dad to see the train leave the Raritan station early in the morning. She had a "The Blue Comet" sign on the top of her boiler front. I'm guessing that was '75 or '76. It's amazing what you can learn here--I never knew 148 ran on the BRW.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 2:06pm »

Hi All,

Boy, did she run on the BR&W !!

Showed up that AM, put the Mrs. and Junior on the train, and went to the cab. Climbed on board, got friendly with the crew, and was invited to ride the cab to Ringoes. When I got to Ringoes, remembered about the Mrs and Junior, and ran to their car. That is when WWIII began. Got thoroughly chewed out, and stayed put for the return trip. Had a marvelous cab ride to Ringoes and totally forgot the rest.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
enzio
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: May 22nd, 2008, 1:08pm »

If anyone has their ear to the "rail" so to speak, as to any restoration work being done on her, please let me know.  I really need to see this engine alive again.  I was one of my firsts!  I was 5 years old in '77 when my Parents took me to Whippany to see her.

Thirty one years later, its a looooooooooong time.
Whats her condition in CO?

Stephen R. Gargiulo
bluecomet68
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 12:06pm »

Does anyone have any photos or videos from the CNJ excursion train 148 pulled in Dec. 1975?

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »