Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 18th, 2017, 2:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Modeling the BRW: Car By Car
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Modeling the BRW: Car By Car
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Modeling the BRW: Car By Car  (Read 3693 times)
rmseel
Chaser
Re: Modeling the BRW: Car By Car

« Reply #140 on: Jun 15th, 2007, 10:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks for the feedback!  As for the extended smokebox the best idea would be to come up with a junk Spectrum 2-8-0 shell, cut a ring off the smokebox and stick it on the front.  It may be a pricey option, but you'll have the assurance the fit will be a perfect match.  Now that I've said that I may do that myself some day -- sice I'd only have to repaint the graphite areas.

When I finished the model a few years ago I shared these photos with the folks in Ringoes, and they even asked me if I would model a few more so that they could sell them in the gift shop.  I was flattered by their asking, but it would be more difficult than I could substantiate.  There has got to be at least $50 worth of brass detail castings from dozens of sources from all over the country and I was not forsighted enough to keep the list.  Tsk tsk, I know.  About the only original detail part is the air compressor.  Everything else is replaced or added: stack, class lights, both domes, bell, headlights & brackets, number plate (where Bachmann's headlight was), handrails and grabs, 3 air tanks, piping, generator, whistle, turrent & housing, steam lines, power reverse, brake cylinder, air and signal hoses, and maybe a few other things.

I did this project before the internet was as useful as it is today.  The folks in Ringoes were very helpful in allowing me to wander the yard and take some very detailed, close-up photographs that I could use as reference.  Maybe I'll scan those and post them some day.  The 60 was parked outside and was recently finished with the last operating season before the current (?) rebuild -- I think it was in February, but I don't recall the year.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #141 on: Jun 16th, 2007, 6:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I bet you could go into business making those, but I'm not sure how much People would pay for those in the gift shop, because she is worth allot...I see you have the BRW logo on the coaches. How did you get it like that?

Anthony

rmseel
Chaser

« Reply #142 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 12:11am »

I only put the rectagle logo  the combine by scaling an internet-available graphic image and printing it on a sheet of blank decal film.  In doing this, though, I realized the quirks of DIY decals and four-color processes.  The image is transluscent for the layering of inks to get the right colors.  I slid the decal onto that dark green car body and the image disappeared!  Fortunately, I had enough logos to spare.  I painted while over my see-through decal and applied another.  Next time, I'll have to use white decal film and trim really close.  The name lettering was single words from Champ in dulux gold "BLACK", "RIVER" and "& WESTERN."

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #143 on: Jun 18th, 2007, 1:03pm »

That does not sound too hard. Thanks for posting that

Anthony

rmseel
Chaser
  100_0423_816x612.jpg - 111465 Bytes
« Reply #144 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:21pm »

Okay folks ~ I have some photos in sunlight to post.  Here's the RPO with the logo decals mentioned before.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/100_0423_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rmseel
Chaser
  100_0422_816x612.jpg - 102813 Bytes
« Reply #145 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:22pm »

I just realized how dusty my stuff is -- sorry about that!  Here's one of four coaches, this one with markers.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/100_0422_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rmseel
Chaser
  100_0426_796x430.jpg - 54004 Bytes
« Reply #146 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:24pm »

Back to 60.  Even without the extended smokebox and taller boiler it came out as close as anything else commercially available.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/100_0426_796x430.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rmseel
Chaser
  100_0427_816x612.jpg - 117936 Bytes
« Reply #147 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:25pm »

Close-up face shot.  I even added the air tank "under the chin."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/100_0427_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rmseel
Chaser
  100_0428_790x267.jpg - 39389 Bytes
« Reply #148 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:26pm »

Side view

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/100_0428_790x267.jpg
Click Image to Resize

rmseel
Chaser
  100_0434_777x446.jpg - 55289 Bytes
« Reply #149 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 3:29pm »

Tender shot.  I also have an IHC/Mehano 2-6-0 that looks like a promising kitbash for the ex-DL&W, ex-BR&W 565.  Maybe I'll get around to that one some day.  But first, my 60 will soon get a Soundtraxx decoder if I can find a close-enough whistle.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/100_0434_777x446.jpg
Click Image to Resize

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 4:08pm »

on Jun 18th, 2007, 12:11am, rmseel wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I only put the rectagle logo †the combine by scaling an internet-available graphic image and printing it on a sheet of blank decal film. †In doing this, though, I realized the quirks of DIY decals and four-color processes. †The image is transluscent for the layering of inks to get the right colors. †I slid the decal onto that dark green car body and the image disappeared! †Fortunately, I had enough logos to spare. †I painted while over my see-through decal and applied another. †Next time, I'll have to use white decal film and trim really close. †The name lettering was single words from Champ in dulux gold "BLACK", "RIVER" and "& WESTERN."

So I guess that is how you make custom decals, do you need certian type of printer?

The models look nice keep it up.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
rmseel
Chaser

« Reply #151 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 4:56pm »

Those decals were scaled-down gif images, copied several times and printed together on one sheet of blank decal film on a color laser copier.  If you use an inkjet printer you'll need to use a fixative over the image so that it won't bleed.  I have not used the inkjet process for decals yet, so that's just what I've read.  Keep in mind that you'll need to use "white" film unless you have a white or silver body color -- otherwise the body color will show through the decal and you probably would not want that. For metalic colors and white lettering I recommend finding a friend who owns an Alps printer.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #152 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 7:10pm »

I must say, I very impreseed with your work on 60 and the coaches. Realy nice job

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  Picture_007.jpg - 293911 Bytes
« Reply #153 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 9:50pm »

Steam is nice but dont forget about the Alcos  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Picture_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Black_River_Joe
Historian
  Picture_008.jpg - 222635 Bytes
« Reply #154 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 9:53pm »

and those passenger cars...notice the diner in the background

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Picture_008.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2007, 9:55pm by Black_River_Joe » Logged

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #155 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:06pm »

Of course not. I hope I get to see those cars tomorrow Joe. I hope to build a model like that in the future
Hey Joe, when did you put a logo on the cab of the alco? it use to have the # on it
Anthony

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:11pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #156 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:16pm »

on Jun 21st, 2007, 9:50pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Steam is nice but dont forget about the Alcos †

Yeah, no kit bashing or re-painting on that one . Where has your model of 752 been off to? Keep it up I can only dream of having the BR&W models you do.

« Last Edit: Jun 22nd, 2007, 5:26pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 7:44pm »

anthony, that is my dads...mine had the number on it....

SGP, 752 is being painted for the railroad days event.  more pictures of them tommorow

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  at-mp15-cnwlg.jpg - 33559 Bytes
« Reply #158 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 10:12am »

well after being at the BR&W for railroad days...here i go again with this

8159 you are mine practically

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/at-mp15-cnwlg.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #159 on: Jul 7th, 2007, 1:42pm »

You know I was trying to find an engine to model 8159, but could not find a good one. When Iím done with making a Strasburg Train I hope to make 8159 and then the caboose train. Would you mind posting a link for it Joe?

Thanks  
Anthony

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »