Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 11:54am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bel-Del is NOT being torn up
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bel-Del is NOT being torn up  (Read 1037 times)
brw60

« on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I removed the topic of "saving Bel-Del" because it was misleading.  The Bel-Del is NOT being torn up.

-Dan

WMSR_734
Former Member
Re: Bel-Del is NOT being torn up

« Reply #1 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 9:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I knew it...

I'm very happy to hear it for sure otherwise, because I am planning to be a volunteer there this summer. It will be my first time working on a steam locomotive if I do so, and I'm very excited too!

-Colin

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:03pm »

Hey Colin,
 You have a long time before you work on a steam engine. You better start studying the NORAC training manual lol.

« Last Edit: Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:04pm by NKP759fan » Logged

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:05pm »

Good, I was just tinking how suden it was!

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:07pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 4:48pm »

on Feb 23rd, 2006, 10:03pm, NKP759fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Colin,
 You have a long time before you work on a steam engine. You better start studying the NORAC training manual lol.

I'm only going to be a breakman, and I'll get to do some stuff around the engine, but I ain't going to fire her or anything...

Anyways, back on topic, I feel it is highly unlikely that the Bel-Del will be torn up. I really don't think it's happening.

-Colin

Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 24th, 2006, 8:32pm »

Well i went to the Bel Del meeting im a member of the NYS&W  Historical Society, The plan is we would like to extend past Carpenters all the way into Milford. If that does not happen the Rails To Trails Progrm will most likely come down from Frenchtown and make it a bike and walking trail. I'd like to know where you got your information from guys. Because i have gotten mine right from the horses mouth!

Thanks, Anthony

P.S. You dont have to believe me, but never say i didnt warn you...

Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 9:10am »

You were at the meeting last weekend? Whats your name? did i meet you. You know Don and Gary... If you were at the meeting you would have heard that they are raising money for the Bel Del line to Milford. If that money isnt raised their is a good possibility that the bike trail will be built. Did you get any green fliers to hand out? Have you givin any money towards the "Buy-A-Tie" Fund? Im serious about this whole operation here! I dont appreciate people telling me what is true and what is false when im part of the Bel- Del myself. So if you would please get back to me on this situation, I'd be happy to converse with you.  

Thankyou, Anthony Louis Ribera.

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006, 9:13am by Anthony_Ribera » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 9:58am »

Dan,

Being an old geeser that is into steam locomotives up to my eye balls, and one that does'nt want to see ANY steam operation shut down, I sure would like to see a clean cut report on this without the bravado. Since you are a moderator here , could we have an accurate, unemotional report on this situation.  I believe that would put a lot of the erronious information to rest about the Bel-Del.  
   Thanks for your consideration on this matter.

Bruce

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:15am by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
lerro984
Chaser
The Bel Del does need help

« Reply #8 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 5:54pm »

There was a meeting on Sunday 2/19/06 in the yard of the Bel Del and we discussed the future of the railroad. The Bel Del isnt making alot of money and is in a diare need for more ridership. As most people know, the majority of the line is hidden in the woods and doesn't have many great views of the Delaware River, except for the one spot by the I-78 bridge. It is beleived that the railroad must expand further south towards Riggleville and eventually into Milville if it is to become susscessfull.  

The Buy a Tie program is to help buy RR ties for the railroad so it can expand as far as it can. By the middle of March, what ever the Bel Del is able to gather up will be how far the RR can expand for the 2006 season. As in terms of ripping up the railroad, there is a rails to trails path begining in Milford. Fairly unused track can only be used for so long until it is unfit for traffic and it better off just used for a bike path. That wont happen anytime in the near future but is a distant threat.

As for the current trackage of the Bel Del, it is very important that the ties be replaced in order for the trains to run further into what many consider the best parts of the entire line.  

I dont understand why moderaters of this forum would not let such a program as the "Buy a Tie" be left on for advertisment and support. I thought this website was for all railfans and railroad preservation. If the "Buy a Tie" letter is rewritten to just a flyer for support, it shoudl be left on and be seen. After all, we only have 2 weeks left in order to gather up money for a "Railroad". Isnt that why we are all on this Fourm? Because we believe in the support and preservation of all Trains?

WMSR_734
Former Member
Re: The Bel Del does need help

« Reply #9 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 6:16pm »

on Feb 25th, 2006, 5:54pm, lerro984 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
There was a meeting on Sunday 2/19/06 in the yard of the Bel Del and we discussed the future of the railroad. The Bel Del isnt making alot of money and is in a diare need for more ridership. As most people know, the majority of the line is hidden in the woods and doesn't have many great views of the Delaware River, except for the one spot by the I-78 bridge. It is beleived that the railroad must expand further south towards Riggleville and eventually into Milville if it is to become susscessfull.  

The Buy a Tie program is to help buy RR ties for the railroad so it can expand as far as it can. By the middle of March, what ever the Bel Del is able to gather up will be how far the RR can expand for the 2006 season. As in terms of ripping up the railroad, there is a rails to trails path begining in Milford. Fairly unused track can only be used for so long until it is unfit for traffic and it better off just used for a bike path. That wont happen anytime in the near future but is a distant threat.

As for the current trackage of the Bel Del, it is very important that the ties be replaced in order for the trains to run further into what many consider the best parts of the entire line.  

I dont understand why moderaters of this forum would not let such a program as the "Buy a Tie" be left on for advertisment and support. I thought this website was for all railfans and railroad preservation. If the "Buy a Tie" letter is rewritten to just a flyer for support, it shoudl be left on and be seen. After all, we only have 2 weeks left in order to gather up money for a "Railroad". Isnt that why we are all on this Fourm? Because we believe in the support and preservation of all Trains?

Hello,

Welcome aboard! I must say that I enjoy your pictures on your site. Keep up the great work.

It's good to hear that the Bel-Del is not going to be torn up, as I have said before. It would be great if they could extend this year, or maybe next year for more success indeed. I know I will do all I can to try and support the good ol' Bel-Del.

The topic about "saving" the railroad was deleted because it was posted in the wrong board, and every other tourist railroad board on Railfan.net. It can still be found in the "Tourist Railroads and Museums" board, and it was intended to be posted in the "Rail Preservation" board.

Anyways, take a trip to Phillipsburg anyways, pretend it's going to be torn up, and ride the train. If you don't want to ride, buy a ticket anyway, to be both supportive and so they can expand.

Long live the Bel-Del!

-Colin

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 6:23pm »

The problem with the Bel-Del is that the state of New Jersey does not supply them with ties, and if they do it's not too many. The New Hope & Ivyland on the other hand gets a certain amount ties per year from the government. If the Bel Del located in PA, the government would be a lot more supportive of the line. I have to say that Pennsylvania has to be one of the most rail-freindly states there is. If you don't believe me, just count the number of steam lines running there.  

I'll be sure to ride the Bel-Del again this summer!
Joe...

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006, 6:26pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 7:49pm »

Excuse me Map. But my post was very accurate... Me and lerro are both partners in this, and we both attended the meetings at the Bel Del. We are trying to explain to you guys that the railroad needs Ties. Hence the Buy-A-Tie program... The track needs to be worked on.. I posted the whole thing up on here "which was very ignorantly deleted" it was taken right from the "Buy-A-Tie" Flyers that we are handing out. If you guys would have read the information in which i posted maybe you would understand. The Bike trail is a threat, although it may not be sudden, if the track does not get back to spec, for excursion service, it is a good possibility... As i posted in the past... The Bel Del needs help! End Of Story!!

Thanks, Anthony Louis Ribera

Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 7:55pm »

Thankyou Lerro984!!!  I had the whole "Buy A Tie" program up on here and they deleted it. Maybe that we are both up here now people will listen! Now that we have everything in check Lets help out the Bel-Del.  

Thanks Pete!  

cblaz
TRAINing

« Reply #13 on: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:23pm »

Anthony,  

Someone here saw your original post and reposted it on railroad.net, where its truthfulness was also called into question. Don, the man in charge of the Buy-A-Tie project, had to join the group to make corrections to your original plea. See the thread here:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=22287

Also, for anyone interested in seeing what the donation page says, here it is:  

http://www.nyswths.org/buyatie.htm

- Chris

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2006, 10:24pm by cblaz » Logged
Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 2:44pm »

Anyway you put it the Bel Del needs donations.. Thankyou Chris for your post. If we do not try to help fund the Buy-A-Tie Program the line could be in danger. Please donate everyone.

Thanks, Anthony

wok3002
TRAINing

« Reply #15 on: Feb 26th, 2006, 4:19pm »

How is it possible that a not for profit operation such as the NYS&WT&HS can seek donations to rebuild trackage that is owned and operated by a for profit company(Belvedere & Delaware River Railroad).  Couldn't a program such as this put the society's 501(c)3 status in jeopardy.  Wouldn't there have to be a lease/purchase agreement in place before fundraising money could be used to resurface any part of the line.

Kevin

IronTie
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Feb 27th, 2006, 5:23pm »

An excellent question.  Perhaps it would be helpful if someone on this board who is connected to the railroad (and not just a member of a historical socitety) could clarify the ownership of the ROW.  Is it (1) owned by Bel-Del/BRW? (2) Still owned by NS, and leased by Bel-Del/BRW?  (3) owned by the someone else (the state?) and leased to Bel-Del/BRW or someone else? Ive been away from the area for a while, so forgive me for not knowing.  

It does seem strange that a nonprofit entity would solicit funds for the benefit of a  for profit corporation.  Im no tax lawyer, but it seems to me "The Service" may take a dim view of this, especially if the value received is not reported as income by the receiving entity.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 2:35pm »

I can anser that, it is owned by The Black River& Western  RR and operated as a substary. It was never owned by NS, the line was bought by the brw from conrail.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
IronTie
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 9:01pm »

So the situation is that the Black River will allow these excursions to Milford w/ 142 if charitable donations are raised to fix the railroad?  Is that right?  

Are there any freight customers in Milford?

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 10:02pm »

My understanding is that the only remaining line customers south of P'burg are  O p d y k e  Lumber and Baer Aggregates (formerly Carpentersville Sand & Gravel).  The Crown Vantage paper & box plant at Milford is no longer functioning.  
-Charlie

(sorry about the strange spacing... certain letter combinations are censored by the software).

« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2006, 10:05pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »