Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 8:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River Railroad Historical Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Black River Railroad Historical Trust
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River Railroad Historical Trust  (Read 3287 times)
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Black River Railroad Historical Trust

« Reply #60 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 3:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I heard she was going to be sold to New Hope.

moresteam

moresteam
Anthony NNRY
Former Member

« Reply #61 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 3:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I am also going to marry Taylor Swift next Monday on an unrelated note.

For the love of god, where did you hear that from? I am not even going to waste my time explaining why that is ridiculous

Anthony

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2010, 3:09pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
SR4501
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 3:09pm »

on Oct 7th, 2010, 3:04pm, moresteam wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I heard she was going to be sold to New Hope.

moresteam

I hear everything from it will break springs because of the track, it will cost too much to operate her, not enough qualified crews, and selling her to the NHIR. What do I believe?? I don't until something actually happens.  

Anthony.. I'm gonna marry Maria Sharapova!  

« Last Edit: Oct 7th, 2010, 3:11pm by SR4501 » Logged

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Oct 7th, 2010, 4:24pm »

Once I hear something from people that actually work at the BR&W, then i'll take this rumor with more than just a grain of salt...

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Oct 12th, 2010, 9:12am »

As much as I may or may not like to see 60 at the NHRR I doubt that will occur.  I seriously doubt at this time that the BRW is considering selling 60.  I keep hearing a lot of silly rumors about 60 that don't seem to have much logic behind them.  I still think many of the issues the trust is having right now that involve crewing trains and having enough volunteers might be attributed to having the NH&I so close by.  Tis a shame since when I was growing up BRW was my favorite railroad to visit with my family and 60 was my favorite steamer.

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2010, 10:15pm by Super_foamer » Logged

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 4:22pm »

Well, maybe the RR is not going to sell 60. Just heard someone is planing to restore the Booton Cars. So if this is true, this could look like a really cool train.

moresteam

moresteam
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 6:55pm »

on Oct 15th, 2010, 4:22pm, moresteam wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Well, maybe the RR is not going to sell 60. Just heard someone is planing to restore the Booton Cars. So if this is true, this could look like a really cool train.

moresteam

Where do you hear these weird rumors?  95% of what you're saying is highly unlikely and very unbelievable, unless you can back it up with a source!

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Oct 15th, 2010, 9:41pm »

The challenge the Black River Railroad Historic Trust is facing right now is simply that we don't having enough people to crew trains. In previous years fall has brought a unique two train operation to the railroad, the regular Flemington to Ringoes  train and a shuttle  train to a farm for a pumpkins and a corn maze. This year the difficult decision had to be made by our directors to cancel the regular train so that the corn maze train could have people to operate it.  

Does this effect the operation of 60? One can't know for certain. Its not practical to run 60 on the shuttle train in front of open car. If 60 were test run tomorrow there is not necessarily a passenger train for her to pull.

The only person that can fix this is you! The train enthusiast that has enough time to dwell on gossip certainly has enough time to write a check to join the Trust and take one Saturday morning to become trainman qualified and work their way up the ranks. It will be worth it when you can just ask guys at the railroad if these rumorers are true let alone the experience of working on a real railroad.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Nov 28th, 2010, 3:55pm »

Everyone who cares about the BRRHT should do this, imho...on the main page of the BR&W website, is a link to a "BR&W Customer Survey" - with some interesting ideas/suggestions that everyone who cares about the BR&W should vote on - including ideas like cab rides, trips from Ringoes-Three Bridges, etc etc. Please fill out this survey!

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?hl=en&formkey=dFA0UDFYOXZERDNQYTBsdkdkQmdlN2c6MQ#gid=0

Eddie M.
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Sep 5th, 2011, 1:59am »

I was told by a volunteer that the American wrecking crane rotting away on one of the Flemington sidings is scheduled to be scrapped before the end of the year.

Railroads are a weakness we all share..
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Feb 10th, 2012, 12:52am »

Yes, the American Crane in Flemington is suppossed to be scrapped, I dont know when, but I think they are going to do that when they re-align Church Street.  

The reason they are scrapping it is because, back in the day when the track gang went to lambertville, they were bringing it back towards ringoes, and the boom somehow swung out and hit a few trees, breaking the boom in half. They welded it back together, but it is not structurally sound which is why its scrap.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Feb 11th, 2012, 6:52pm »

on Feb 10th, 2012, 12:52am, Black_River_Joe wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yes, the American Crane in Flemington is suppossed to be scrapped, I dont know when, but I think they are going to do that when they re-align Church Street.  

The reason they are scrapping it is because, back in the day when the track gang went to lambertville, they were bringing it back towards ringoes, and the boom somehow swung out and hit a few trees, breaking the boom in half. They welded it back together, but it is not structurally sound which is why its scrap.

why not sell it off to a museum to cosmetically restore the crane? sure it would cost a lot, but personally I think its better off in a museum and not in a junkyard. i don't care what others say about the idea, but least its better then scrapping, i think...

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #72 on: Feb 11th, 2012, 10:32pm »

Yeah, that sounds nice and all but you have to think of it this way....if it truly is unsafe for use, then to sell it exposes you or someone else to future liability. Think....if the fact of its structural unsoundness is forgotten or ignored and its misguided use in some capacity leads to an injury or property damage...lawyer action would not be far behind. Scrapping sounds like a wise decision to me. Perhaps, if you are concerned, you could contact the appropriate party to legally acquire whatever jewelry appeals to you.

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #73 on: May 10th, 2012, 10:18pm »

Perhaps if you are interested in the crane, or know someone or a group who may be, the BRW is open to offers. It never hurts to ask!

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: May 10th, 2012, 10:22pm »

Forgot to mention - one way to contact them is info@brrht.org

« Last Edit: May 10th, 2012, 10:22pm by PRR4811 » Logged
PVRX1
Chaser

« Reply #75 on: May 13th, 2012, 9:36am »

Gentlemen,

I see alot of rumor and speculation in this thread so I would like to interject some clarifications below:

The Black River Railroad Historical Trust (BRRHT) is a seperate nonprofit organization that leases the passenger operation from the Black River Rail System (Black River & Western, Belvidere & Delaware River, Blevidere & Lehigh River).

There were some crew issues in 2010 and the previous board dealt with it in their own way.  For 2011 and 2012 there have been very minimal crew problems and alot of work has gotten done.    

The BRRHT passenger fleet consists of BRW- exCNJ combine 297, exCNJ coach 322 (our parlor car), exCN coaches 491 and 494, BRW caboose 474, and our own exCNJ coach 1009 (currently being rebuilt).

The BRRHT motive power consist of Erie painted EMD SW9 436.  We also lease / rent  BDRV SW1200 1202 (or whichever lokie is on line), and Pennsy Railcar Restoration's Lehigh Valley SW1 112 as needed.

ALCO 2-8-0 # 60 is well on its way to running this year.  It is privately owned by the BR&W's principal, and being rebuilt with a predominately volunteer crew.  We have no control over its progress and availability.  And yes like most of you are very anxious to bring it on line / lease it as a BRRHT locomotive.

The rest of the rolling stock on the property is either privately owned or owned by the railroad company, hence we have no control over  it.  There are currently no immediate plans to scrap anything or sell anything.

Check out our webpage  www.flemingtontrain.org for schedules and information.

As far as the Black River Rail System goes, the company owns 15 locomotives and a motorcar.  GP9 752 is assigned to the BDRV at Carpentersville, SW1200 1202 is assigned to the BR&W at Ringoes.  GP7U 780, GP9s 1849, 1850, 1853, GP8 1854, GP10 1856, GP9U 1889, SD9M 9581, SW1200RSs 8142, 8159, SW8 908, and a pair of SW1500Ms are all leased out to industries (1856 is being used by the Winchester & Western NJ Division at current).

Thank you.  We are a friendly bunch so feel free to ask any questions rather then spread rumors.

Jim Hager
President BRRHT

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #76 on: May 13th, 2012, 1:09pm »

on May 13th, 2012, 9:36am, PVRX1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Gentlemen,

I see alot of rumor and speculation in this thread so I would like to interject some clarifications below:

The Black River Railroad Historical Trust (BRRHT) is a seperate nonprofit organization that leases the passenger operation from the Black River Rail System (Black River & Western, Belvidere & Delaware River, Blevidere & Lehigh River).

There were some crew issues in 2010 and the previous board dealt with it in their own way.  For 2011 and 2012 there have been very minimal crew problems and alot of work has gotten done.    

The BRRHT passenger fleet consists of BRW- exCNJ combine 297, exCNJ coach 322 (our parlor car), exCN coaches 491 and 494, BRW caboose 474, and our own exCNJ coach 1009 (currently being rebuilt).

The BRRHT motive power consist of Erie painted EMD SW9 436.  We also lease / rent  BDRV SW1200 1202 (or whichever lokie is on line), and Pennsy Railcar Restoration's Lehigh Valley SW1 112 as needed.

ALCO 2-8-0 # 60 is well on its way to running this year.  It is privately owned by the BR&W's principal, and being rebuilt with a predominately volunteer crew.  We have no control over its progress and availability.  And yes like most of you are very anxious to bring it on line / lease it as a BRRHT locomotive.

The rest of the rolling stock on the property is either privately owned or owned by the railroad company, hence we have no control over  it.  There are currently no immediate plans to scrap anything or sell anything.

Check out our webpage  www.flemingtontrain.org for schedules and information.

As far as the Black River Rail System goes, the company owns 15 locomotives and a motorcar.  GP9 752 is assigned to the BDRV at Carpentersville, SW1200 1202 is assigned to the BR&W at Ringoes.  GP7U 780, GP9s 1849, 1850, 1853, GP8 1854, GP10 1856, GP9U 1889, SD9M 9581, SW1200RSs 8142, 8159, SW8 908, and a pair of SW1500Ms are all leased out to industries (1856 is being used by the Winchester & Western NJ Division at current).

Thank you.  We are a friendly bunch so feel free to ask any questions rather then spread rumors.

Jim Hager
President BRRHT

Mr. Hager,

Please allow me to say, as I have done before on the BRRHT's Facebook page, that I think the work you are doing is tremendous, considering the crew you have and the resources that your group has available.  I agree that we all want 60 under steam again, but if she's brought back, it should be done correctly and properly, as you all are doing, so that we may all enjoy her for another 15 years.  I can't wait to come out again (hopefully for the photo freight a couple of weekends from now), and who knows, perhaps 60 could surprise us all and run that train?

PVRX1
Chaser

« Reply #77 on: May 13th, 2012, 4:38pm »

Thank you for you kind words.

60 passed its hydro test yesterday, so a few more odds and ends and she will be ready.  I was told this morning that we are down to six weeks or less for her to be in service.

I will be around opening weekend, feel free to say hi.

JH

Railroad_Buff
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #78 on: May 31st, 2012, 9:22pm »

It would look cool to see her teamed up with the 142 on the Bel - Del . though .

Tim

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #79 on: Jan 15th, 2013, 10:24pm »

The BRRHT new website is FlemingtonTrain.org

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »