Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 1:30pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River Railroad Historical Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River Railroad Historical Trust  (Read 3316 times)
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Black River Railroad Historical Trust

« Reply #40 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Sep 27th, 2007, 6:06am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Brw60: I would be interested in doing the lackawanna coaches after the fairmont crane is completed.  Also what is the 1009?

I would also be interested in working on one of the Lackawanna coaches when time permits!

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #41 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 2:36pm »

We'll be decorating the train for Halloween this Saturday starting around 2:30pm at Ringoes. If anybody is interested in coming to lend a hand it would be a nice chance to meet and talk and get a little work done. I'll have membership applications on hand for anyone interested. If you help decorate and join the Trust you'll get free dinner!

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #42 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 10:42pm »

Anyone going to the Thank You Express thats in the trust?  Anyone not in the trust, if you know a person in the trust, that person can bring one non-trust member with them. There will be drinks, food, trip to three bridges and back.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jul 15th, 2008, 4:42pm »

I have heard through the rumor mill that the Black River Historical Trust is in some sort of trouble. That the officers of the Trust are not doing the Jobs that they were suposed to do?

Is there any truth in this?

moresteam

moresteam
rwk
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jul 16th, 2008, 10:46pm »

What's the difference between the BRW Trust and the BRW itself? Is BRW mostly interested in handling freight now and handed off the responsibility of operating the tourist trains to the Trust? Is the Trust all volunteers, like WK&S, and the BRW is paid employees? Do passenger train crew get paid? Also, any idea when #60 will be back? Then, NJ will have 2 operating steam, BDR and BRW. If Whippany ever gets it's 2 steam going, then that would make 3 or 4. The other MCC steam loco was brought home since it last ran there in the 60's, but it's far from operational now. The former MCC 0-6-0 doesn't even run yet.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #45 on: Jul 31st, 2008, 9:11am »

The BRRHT is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. Our mission is to preserve and protect railroad history and educate the public about railroad safety. One of the organization's primary functions is operating passenger excursions on the Black River & Western Railroad. All BRRHT functions are operated by our volunteer members.

The BRW is a for-profit (and yes, it does make a profit) corporation that is involved in many businesses, primarily railroad and railroad related. The BRW, also known as the BDRV (Belvidere & Delaware River Railway) has operations based in Ringoes, NJ and Phillipsburg, NJ. This company has a small number of paid employees.

The BDRV and BRW are one and the same. The passenger operations in Phillipsburg are operated by a separate not-for-profit organization similar in structure to the BRRHT.

When #60 returns to service it will be New Jersey's only operating standard gauge American built steam locomotive.

If you're interested, there is some more information about the railroad on the FAQ page at brrht.org, and more information on #60's restoration work on the Plans & Projects page.

on Jul 16th, 2008, 10:46pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What's the difference between the BRW Trust and the BRW itself? Is BRW mostly interested in handling freight now and handed off the responsibility of operating the tourist trains to the Trust? Is the Trust all volunteers, like WK&S, and the BRW is paid employees? Do passenger train crew get paid? Also, any idea when #60 will be back? Then, NJ will have 2 operating steam, BDR and BRW. If Whippany ever gets it's 2 steam going, then that would make 3 or 4. The other MCC steam loco was brought home since it last ran there in the 60's, but it's far from operational now. The former MCC 0-6-0 doesn't even run yet.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #46 on: Jul 31st, 2008, 9:14am »

FYI, progress on the BRRHT's restoration of a hand-operated Fairmount crane is moving along nicely. Some recent pictures are posted on the Plans & Projects page at brrht.org. The BRRHT volunteers on this project, now led by Jerry & Joe are doing great work!

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #47 on: Aug 1st, 2008, 12:05pm »

on Jul 31st, 2008, 9:11am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The BRRHT is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit corporation. Our mission is to preserve and protect railroad history and educate the public about railroad safety. One of the organization's primary functions is operating passenger excursions on the Black River & Western Railroad. All BRRHT functions are operated by our volunteer members.

The BRW is a for-profit (and yes, it does make a profit) corporation that is involved in many businesses, primarily railroad and railroad related. The BRW, also known as the BDRV (Belvidere & Delaware River Railway) has operations based in Ringoes, NJ and Phillipsburg, NJ. This company has a small number of paid employees.

The BDRV and BRW are one and the same. The passenger operations in Phillipsburg are operated by a separate not-for-profit organization similar in structure to the BRRHT.

The BR&W is not alone in this type of set up, in fact it's actually common.

The W&W is set up similarly. They have their for-profit freight operations, which also do turn a nice profit and then they have the non-profit passenger operations.  

NH&I was also set up this way for over a decade.

It can have its ups and downs, it really depends on the people running each organization. So far it seems the BR&W and BRRHT have been working together.  

moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Aug 1st, 2008, 5:06pm »

Then this statement contradicts what I had posted before and have not heard a reply.
How can there be a rumor (and I have heard this from more than one source) that there is a problem with the officers of the Black River Historical Trust?

If this is not true, please let me know. If it is, what is being done about it.

If the statement is true that the BR&W and the BRRHT are working together, what have they been doing to “work together”??

moresteam
CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #49 on: Aug 1st, 2008, 7:31pm »

Every day there are passenger trains the BR&W and BRRHT are working together.

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
NEW  HOPE ENGINEER
Former Member

« Reply #50 on: Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:48am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I have a question,does the trust lease the locomotives and the cars from BRW or do they own them?Also how much of the ticket price does the trust get?
I over heard a conversation that the trust is getting boned by the BRW. For example they get very little of the money from the fares,most of it goes to BRW.
I am not trying to start an arguement here, just hate to see you guys do all the work and have nothing to show for it.
          Mark

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #51 on: Aug 4th, 2008, 8:55am »

Under our current arrangement with the BRW, the Trust does not lease any of the passenger equipment or any locomotives.

This will most likely change in 2009, as the Trust is in negotiations to lease some or all of the servicable passenger equipment (coaches only...not locomotives). If any members are interested in further details on these plans please feel free to ask me or any of the other directors in person or give us a call.  

It is true that at this point in time the Trust receives a very small percentage of passenger revenues. But let's keep this in perspective. The Trust incures virtually zero costs in operating the passenger trains. We crew the trains, but we do not pay any money towards their maintanance and operation. If and when the Trust leases equipment as I described above this arrangement will be modified to reflect our additional responsibility and costs.

As for the rumors going around, all spawned by a few individuals that I will not name here, everyone is free to form their own opinion on the performance of the Trust officers. Some people think we are doing a great job and others disagree. I'm sure this will always be the case. The best response I can offer to this rumor is that if you are a member and not satisifed with the way something is going, our doors are always open and we are ALWAYS happy to talk about things and answer your questions. We try to keep everyone informed of what is going on, but being volunteers and being so busy with keeping things running somethings we don't do as good a job at communicating everything as we should. Let me assure you that we are not in the habit of keeping secrets from the membership. If you are curious about something, ask.

Last but not least, the officers of the Trust are responsible for "overseeing the daily activities of the organization" as per our by-laws. It is our job to keep the organization on its feet and to make sure the members have the tools they need to accomplish the goals of the organization. It is not our job to do everything ourselves...that would be impossible. In order for anything to get done we need the input and participation of the membership. Over the past couple years several members have stepped up to the plate and made significant contributions to the organization and made a real difference. If more people followed their example we would be much better off.

on Aug 2nd, 2008, 8:48am, NEW  HOPE ENGINEER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have a question,does the trust lease the locomotives and the cars from BRW or do they own them?Also how much of the ticket price does the trust get?
I over heard a conversation that the trust is getting boned by the BRW. For example they get very little of the money from the fares,most of it goes to BRW.
I am not trying to start an arguement here, just hate to see you guys do all the work and have nothing to show for it.
                                             Mark

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 4:51pm »

If the Trust is going to Lease the Passenger equipment in 2009, what about motive power. Will that be leased or at least rented from the BRW?
Can the Trust get a Locomotive Lease for either one of the Desiels or the Steamengine?
If this happens, It seems to me that the Trust can collect all ticket sales.

moresteam

moresteam
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Nov 5th, 2008, 4:03pm »

Did I hear right that at the last meeting of the Black River Trust that someone said they did not like the job the Board of Directors were doing?
And that they thought they should be replaced?

This sounds like a power battle is happening.

Is this true?

moresteam

moresteam
CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #54 on: Nov 5th, 2008, 4:38pm »

If you were at the meeting then you know what you heard.

This isnt the place to start airing likes and dislikes of the memebers of the board of directors.   Everyone is intitled to their opinion, and that why we have elections.

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #55 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 3:56pm »

More information on this year's schedule and special events has been posted at brrht.org.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 10:37pm »

Like any volunteeer organization the Trust can always benefit from more members.  It helps spread the workload, encourages development of new events and provides for accomplishment of the mission.  Remember, actions speak louder than words.

steamman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 8:10pm »

is it true that the 60 is up for sale. tom.

-Dan [/quote]

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 9:07pm »

on Sep 27th, 2010, 8:10pm, steamman wrote:       (Click here for original message)

-Dan

What?  Why would they spend all these years restoring #60, getting it inspected, train the staff, get approvals, only to sell it before she ever runs on BR&W rails again?  HIGHLY doubt it...

WH
Former Member

« Reply #59 on: Sep 27th, 2010, 9:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Sep 27th, 2010, 8:10pm, steamman wrote:       (Click here for original message)

-Dan

Oh Geez....

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »