Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 29th, 2017, 9:34am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River Railroad Historical Trust
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River Railroad Historical Trust  (Read 3264 times)
brw60

BRHT_logo.jpg - 43807 Bytes
« on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 12:24am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Black River Railroad Historic Trust
Not so long ago, a train ride was the only way to travel across the country. From 1872 through 1929, Ringoes Station was Hunterdon County’s gateway to the world. The railroad could take you anywhere, Philadelphia, New York, Chicago, or just to the Jersey Shore.  

The Black River Railroad Historic Trust (BRRHT) volunteers are preserving the sights and sounds of railroading in Hunterdon County. BRRHT passenger excursions operate between Flemington and Ringoes, NJ. During the hour and fifteen-minute ride, passengers can enjoy the scenery of rural Hunterdon County from our historic coaches and take some time to explore the train yard or have a picnic at our shaded picnic grove at Ringoes station.

The BRRHT’s mission is the ongoing preservation of our railroad transportation heritage through conservation and education. We are working to create an entertaining and educational environment for the entire family through the restoration of vintage railroad equipment, preservation of objects and documents from railroad history, and operation of scenic passenger excursions.

The BRRHT is always accepting of volunteers and donations, as this great railway experience wouldn’t be possible without the dedication of our members. Ongoing BRRHT projects include, but are not limited to:
• Crewing our passenger trains
• Restoring and operating our 2-8-0    
   Consolidation steam locomotive  
• Creating a small museum with  
   interactive exhibits
• Restoring our passenger coaches
• Rehabilitating our track

We have something for everyone whether you are interested in helping run trains, restore equipment, or making a donation to the trust and becoming a member, we can accommodate you. Please don’t hesitate to contact Dan Vaccarella at brrht60@gmail.com for more information or to become a member.

Black River & Western Railroad
The Black River & Western Railroad (BRW) was founded in the 1950’s by William Whitehead and incorporated in 1961. BRW began running excursion passenger service on the Pennsylvania Railroad line between Flemington and Lambertville, NJ in 1965.  Currently, BRW provides regular freight service and locomotive leasing to businesses throughout New Jersey and Pennsylvania. BRW also hosts passenger trains in Phillipsburg, NJ as well as passenger excursions operated by the Black River Historic Trust between Flemington and Ringoes, NJ.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRHT_logo.jpg
Click Image to Resize

IronTie
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Black River Railroad Historical Trust

« Reply #1 on: Sep 2nd, 2005, 2:37pm »

Does #60 belong to the Black River Historic Trust, or is it still the property of the Black River and Western Railroad?  just wondering

brw60

« Reply #2 on: Sep 8th, 2005, 12:26am »

60 is still property of the Black River & Western Corp.  

The Black River Railroad Historical Trust is a non-profit organization, mainly comprised of BRW volunteers.  

A goal of the trust is to take over operation of the Flemington - Ringoes passenger train and lease the locomotive and trainset.  We will attempt to secure private donations and possibly grants for the preservation and restoration of the equipment.

-Dan

WM734
Former Member
  BRWeastertrains2007_009_2_asdf.jpg - 106365 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 7:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hi guys,

I just sent in an aplication to become a member of the BRRRHT today (4/2/07).  I understand that you have to be a member for a year before you can volunteer.  I know a year from now I will be helping out all I can.  Looking forward to some good times workin' on the railroad.

-Colin

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRWeastertrains2007_009_2_asdf.jpg
Click Image to Resize

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:31pm »

Great! Good for you. You're on your way. You will find kind and caring people at BRW to teach you. The key to success is to carefully listen to them all and you will find a wealth of knowledge is there for the taking.  Jim.

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 10:29pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2007, 8:31pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great! Good for you. You're on your way. You will find kind and caring people at BRW to teach you. The key to success is to carefully listen to them all and you will find a wealth of knowledge is there for the taking.  Jim.

Yes sir, I'm sure I will.  I hope I am needed as soon as posible.  I also plan to keep my mouth shut and learn as much as I can so hopefully I will be able to put my hand on the throttle of #60 in many years.

BTW: If anyone else wants to join it's really easy, if I can do it pretty much anyone can!

Colin

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:25am »

Congrats Colin. I really need to look ito joining something  

Anthony

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #7 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 3:49pm »

It's always great to have new people joining us!

FYI, you do not need to be a member for any length of time before you can volunteer on projects and/or train crews.

New volunteers may begin all activities except for those related to track maintanance and train crew immediately after joining. Track and train crew related activities require BR&W approved safety training which is free, easy to accomplish, and is provided on an as-needed basis.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #8 on: Apr 23rd, 2007, 5:57pm »

How would I sign up if I wanted to ?

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Apr 23rd, 2007, 6:07pm »

http://brrht.org/getinvolved.html    like that, just print it and fill it out, then send it to the BRW

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 6:10am »

The Fairmont crane is being worked on and should be ready before trains start running in may of 2008. Pictures to come this weekend.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Anthony_SRR
Former Member
  brw001-2.jpg - 45237 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 6:12pm »

That’s great to hear Joe. Now it my memory serves me right it is this piece here, that is sitting in Flemighton but I guess now the Ringoes. If this is I’m assuming that 752 or the SW moved it

Anthony

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/brw001-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 7:19pm »

on Sep 19th, 2007, 6:12pm, Anthony_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That’s great to hear Joe. Now it my memory serves me right it is this piece here, that is sitting in Flemighton but I guess now the Ringoes. If this is I’m assuming that 752 or the SW moved it

Anthony
  The Fairmont crane is the speeder crane. It's small, but interesting.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 8:50pm »

Thats why I could not imagine what joe was talking about.   They have a small bit on that on the BRRHT website. Has not been updated since june though, http://brrht.org/current_projects.html

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 10:23pm »

Forgive my excitement...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:07am »

on Sep 19th, 2007, 7:19pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The Fairmont crane is the speeder crane. It's small, but interesting.

Yeah, especially when you are trying to figure out how to get the gears out of the middle and there is no possible way to do it.

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 7:19am »

I don't understand why we would spend money at this time for something that minor when major work for other more important pieces of equipment that actually operate need some TLC.  We should really be focusing on the passenger coaches, (and with the railroad's aproval) how the GP9 runs and looks, to keep already operating equipment in tip-top shape.  None of the operating equipment is by any means taken care of to the best of ability.  The station where people board and see as their first impression needs to be cleaned up and not look like nothing has passed through there in 20 years.  Those are some more important things at the RR that need major work that should be taken care of before a speeder that won't do much to help the railroad if operational.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 4:27pm »

on Sep 20th, 2007, 7:19am, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't understand why we would spend money at this time for something that minor when major work for other more important pieces of equipment that actually operate need some TLC.  We should really be focusing on the passenger coaches, (and with the railroad's aproval) how the GP9 runs and looks, to keep already operating equipment in tip-top shape.  None of the operating equipment is by any means taken care of to the best of ability.  The station where people board and see as their first impression needs to be cleaned up and not look like nothing has passed through there in 20 years.  Those are some more important things at the RR that need major work that should be taken care of before a speeder that won't do much to help the railroad if operational.

You're exactly right.  The train looks...no, is, a rolling junk yard on rails, and they're working on a speeder??  [b][/b]Why?  Does the BRRHT even have a clue?  Don't mean to sound harsh, but we all care about the RR, and want to see the time invested where it matters most; I know I do anyway...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:03pm »

on Sep 19th, 2007, 10:23pm, 3-chime wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Forgive my excitement...
I almost pissed myself with laughs reading that. You and I know each other.  Jim.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 6:13pm »

That thing, why would they waste time on that when  other things need to be done like paint the bishop.( I saw that one up close and it looks pretty bad) What on earth are they going to do with that once it is running? it is great to see they are doing something but of all things.

Anthony

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »