Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 4:01pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BR&W 200 - Cornwall RR 900
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BR&W 200 - Cornwall RR 900  (Read 716 times)
Cornwall_RR
Historian

« on: Mar 25th, 2005, 3:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What are the current plans for BR&W 200?  It is sad to see such a historic piece of equipment to be rusting away by the looks of it in pictures I have seen.  

I have been told that it is the oldest surviving Reading caboose.  It is also the only known surviving piece of equipment from the Cornwall Railroad – Cornwall #900.  Over the 109 years of operation, the Cornwall RR had 18 plus steamers, eight diesel electrics, at least 6 cabooses, 34 gondolas, 100 “first generation” ore cars, 179 “second generation” ore cars, 47 wooden gondolas, 90 wooden hoppers, at least 16 coaches, and one boxcar not to mention MOW equipment and anything I have not seen records for form the first fifty to sixty years of operation.  All that is know to survive from the thirteen mile long ore carrier is this old caboose that resides on the BR&W - #200.

On February 8,1954 the Reading sold their 90737 and 90733 to the Cornwall for $600 a piece becoming 900 and 901 respectively.  These cabooses apparently survived until the line was acquired by the Reading in October 1964.  One of these cabooses show up in a picture of the last run.  From there on out I do not know how the 900 became the BR&W 200 or what happened to its sister the 901.  If anyone has information on its history it would be greatly appreciated.

Cornwall Railroad Historian
RCT&HS Member & Volunteer
Co Moderator of the Reading & Northern board

"Don't overlook the shortlines - Bigger isn't always better!"
caboose9
Historian
Re: BR&W 200 - Cornwall RR 900

« Reply #1 on: Mar 25th, 2005, 4:46pm »

Cornwall_Railroad said, "What are the current plans for BR&W 200?  I have been told that it is the oldest surviving Reading caboose.  It is also the only known surviving piece of equipment from the Cornwall Railroad – Cornwall #900."

Cornwall,

Here are some thoughts on "old" Reading cabooses:

RDG #?/AD&N 17, Class NMd or NMe, Crossett, AR;

RDG 90715/B&ML 28, Unity, ME;

RDG 90723/Ironton 8(1)/painted LV 20, Red Caboose Motel, Strasburg, PA;

RDG 90737/Cornwall 900/BR&W 200, Ringoes, NJ;

RDG 90738/Ironton 6Whitehall Twp., PA.

There are also RDG cabooses of unknown number or class at Hamilton, NJ, Stillwater, OH, Youngwood, PA, & Hillsboro, VA.  Does anyone have any data on any of these?

Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 12:04am »

Here’s where I read that RDG 90737/CWL 900/BR&W 200 is the oldest surviving RDG caboose.  http://home.dejazzd.com/jmattern/home.htm  under Contents, links.  Perhapse the fact is incorrect?  

The creator of this web site is a friend of mine.  He is currently working on an HO scale model of CWL 900 and 901 which hopefully will be done within the next month using Proto 2000 models as the basis.  Check under Modeling The Cornwall, Project Updates for more.

Here’s a link to a photo of BR&W 200.  http://www.geocities.com/brw148/brw200.jpg  Anyone have any more recent photos?  I hope she at least got a new coat of paint.

caboose9
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 11:33am »

Cornwall_Railroad said, "Here’s where I read that RDG 90737/CWL 900/BR&W 200 is the oldest surviving RDG caboose."

Perhaps it is the oldest surviving Reading *steel* caboose?

Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 12:04pm »

Caboose9:  Maybe he means oldest steel caboose if the other old RDG cabooses are wooden.  I’ll have to ask him.

caboose9
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Mar 26th, 2005, 6:32pm »

Cornwall_Railroad said, "Maybe he means oldest steel caboose if the other old RDG cabooses are wooden."

Hi,

I decided to do a little research to sort out the Reading caboose numbering chronology.  It turns out to be a non intuitive "system".  The following data is from page 36 of Hall, J.W., 2001, Reading Company Cabooses: Sheridan Press, 270 pages.  This is *THE* source for information on Reading cabooses.

Build dates for early Reading Company steel cabooses:

1924 - Class NMd, 90730 - 90739;

1926 - Class NMe, 90710 - 90719;

1927 - Class NMf, 90720 - 90729;

1930 - Class NMg, 90700 - 90709 & 92800 - 92809;

1931/2 - Class NMh, 92810 - 92829.

Enjoy, Roger

Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30th, 2005, 10:28pm »

Thanks for the info Caboose 9!  That sure is a funny way to number cabooses, I wonder why the RDG did it like that.

My friend just competed his HO models of Cornwall 900 (now BR&W 200) and 901.  Click here to take a look:  http://home.dejazzd.com/jmattern/Project%20Updates.htm  

« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2005, 10:36pm by Cornwall_RR » Logged

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: May 2nd, 2005, 8:15am »

If I am not mistaken wooden RDG cabooses- like the one at Wanamaker Kempton & Southern- are actaully "newer" than some of the steel cabs that exist today, as they were built during WW2 when the usage of steel for non war material was kept to bare minimum.

It is a shame that the BR&W cab is in such sorry shape, but then, most of their equipment isn't fairing much better.....(DL&W Booton cars for example)

Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 2:14pm »

Does anyone have information or photos of the current state of the BR&W 200?  Are there any plans for restoration or use?  Any information is greatly appreciated.

-Mark

de-rail
Historian
  BRWRR_072.jpg - 21660 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 2:30pm »

, Its seen much betterdays. I am concidering modeling this cabouse in O scale but I did not say anything because it might not happen. Its RDG number was 90737 Right?. Do you think I should model it in cornwall paint? If so what was that? I do not think there are any plans for it but I could be wrong and I hope there are.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRWRR_072.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2006, 2:31pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Cornwall_RR
Historian
  Cornwall_RR_901.jpg - 65193 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Oct 9th, 2006, 8:09pm »

Thank you spg for posting that photo.  Its saddening really...  That is the last piece of Cornwall Railroad equipment and the oldest known Reading Company caboose.  It is sad to and see it sitting in New Jersey rusting away.  I would love to buy it from the BR&W, but right now college does not really give me the necessary funds.  

Great idea to model her in Cornwall paint.  My friend has already done so (look at previous link above).  Someday I will get around to making an HO model as the Cornwall is my all time favorite railroad (you couldn't have guessed by my username, could you?).  

I'm posting a photo of the 900's sister, the 901, also ex RDG.  The 900 was indeed the RDG 90737 and the 901 former RDG 90733.  Both were bought from the Reading in 1955.

I'm not sure of the photo's owner but I received it on a disc from the Lebanon County Historical Society.  This photo was taken in Lebanon, Pa, anywhere from 1955 to the early 1960's.  In the background is part of the ore concentrator.  If I was at my home computer I could scan you a copy of a photo of the 900.  You can also look in "A Colorful Look At: Selected Pennsylvania Shortlines"  By Gerald Bernet, photography by Carl Connelly, for several more shots of the Cornwall 900 in its glory days.

Any other information on this historic caboose is greatly appreciated.

-Mark

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Cornwall_RR_901.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2006, 8:14pm by Cornwall_RR » Logged

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Oct 10th, 2006, 4:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 9th, 2006, 2:30pm, sgp__Rail_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
, Its seen much betterdays. I am concidering modeling this cabouse in O scale but I did not say anything because it might not happen. Its RDG number was 90737 Right?. Do you think I should model it in cornwall paint? If so what was that? I do not think there are any plans for it but I could be wrong and I hope there are.

If you scatch build it Weaver has the perfect uncoated fram to work on
~AnthonyD~

Cornwall_RR
Historian
  CWL900j.jpg - 129223 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 6:52pm »

on Oct 9th, 2006, 2:30pm, sgp__Rail_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I forgot that I "painted" this a little while ago.  It is pretty close to how the Cornwall's were painted: very simple - all red with a black smoke jack and yellow railings and grab irons.  In the photo above the wheels look black but I am told that is just journal grease.  I can even give you the basis to make your own custom decals for the Cornwall's oval logo as I have a file I drew up specially for this.  

-Mark  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1331x648, 129223 bytes)

Click Here to View Image CWL900j.jpg - 129223 Bytes

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2006, 6:53pm by Cornwall_RR » Logged

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 7:55pm »

Thanks Cornwall_RR, but I still don't know if I will do that paint scheme. I am between Cornwall RR 900, a coverd hopper owned by the BRW still with Conrail on it, or the 900 but in Reading. There are pluses and minuses to each. Basicly I can probibly do the hopper and a cabouse a the same time. A Reading reading cabouse would go with my Reading shop witcher but the Cornwall RR cabouse would just be really interesting!

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 9:48am »

last time i looked at this caboose at ringoes, it was all rusted paint peeling and there was no floor...i hate to be in there if they were moving it

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 6:56pm »

on Oct 15th, 2006, 9:48am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
last time i looked at this caboose at ringoes, it was all rusted paint peeling and there was no floor...i hate to be in there if they were moving it

That is sad...  I wonder how much money they would take for it?

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 7:06pm »

well i plan to join the trust and i want to see that caboose brought back to life and all the coaches too

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Cornwall_RR
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 8:09pm »

Good to hear!  We need more people like you!  If I was closer to where the BR&W 200 resides I would certainly help out but that is a long drive for me…  Right now I am doing what I can by volunteering for the RCT&HS, but if I ever get to NJ and get the chance I’d give you a hand.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 8:17pm »

that would be great but who knows when they are gonna restore it?

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Oct 15th, 2006, 8:39pm »

I will try and Remeamber to ask next time I go to Ringoes.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »