Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 8:41pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River & Western General Discussion
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Black River & Western General Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River & Western General Discussion  (Read 4558 times)
BRWRuckus
Railfan
Re: Black River & Western General Discussion

« Reply #60 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 9:36am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Amazon-like vegetation set aside, the line to Lambertville is generally considered passable for speeders.

Sometime last summer the BR&W sent our track foreman down there to assess the line to determine if we could do a light locomotive move down there to move a couple of cars that are in storage in Lambertville. He determined that the answer was a resounding "no". Different parts of the line are in different condition, but the major obstacle to such a move lies in the condition of the timbers on a few bridges, most notably the canal bridge. The washout just north of Route 29 is also a problem.

The line to Lambertville has no place in our current operations. It was "amputated" in 1997 because it was bleeding cash and could not sustain itself with the limited freight and passenger business that existed at the time.

The Trust's (and my own) position on this part of the railroad is summed up in the FAQ section of our website: "Currently the section of railroad between Lambertville and Ringoes is out of service due to the need for extensive track and bridge rehabilitation. We are constantly looking for opportunities that may lead to restoration of Lambertville passenger service, however, there are no official plans at this time. "

Trains will roll to Lambertville again...it's a question of how and when.

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008, 9:51am by BRWRuckus » Logged

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
SR4501
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 1:48pm »

on Jul 11th, 2008, 9:36am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Amazon-like vegetation set aside, the line to Lambertville is generally considered passable for speeders.

Sometime last summer the BR&W sent our track foreman down there to assess the line to determine if we could do a light locomotive move down there to move a couple of cars that are in storage in Lambertville. He determined that the answer was a resounding "no". Different parts of the line are in different condition, but the major obstacle to such a move lies in the condition of the timbers on a few bridges, most notably the canal bridge. The washout just north of Route 29 is also a problem.

The line to Lambertville has no place in our current operations. It was "amputated" in 1997 because it was bleeding cash and could not sustain itself with the limited freight and passenger business that existed at the time.

The Trust's (and my own) position on this part of the railroad is summed up in the FAQ section of our website: "Currently the section of railroad between Lambertville and Ringoes is out of service due to the need for extensive track and bridge rehabilitation. We are constantly looking for opportunities that may lead to restoration of Lambertville passenger service, however, there are no official plans at this time. "

Trains will roll to Lambertville again...it's a question of how and when.

Well I have a few questions and comments and I am sure it has been answered somewhere in these forums, so I apologize ahead of time if they are.  I am to assume the BRW would concentrate on the Ringoes-Flemington section since that is their passenger and freight line. The line to Lambertville, basically as is, has no freight customers and from what I had heard, the residents along that line and the people of Lambertville do not want trains running there. So my main question is. Will it be worth restoring the line to Lambertville in the near future, or would it be worth selling it and turn it into a rail-to trail? Or an alterantive.. Sell it privately to an individual and let him operate and maintain the line. Just curious. Thanks ahead of time.
Richie

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
JohnPatrick
Enthusiast

« Reply #62 on: Aug 24th, 2008, 11:05am »

Where is the Black River, from which the Railroad gets it's name?

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Aug 24th, 2008, 7:03pm »

Chester-areaish (NJ) The Railroad was originally suppose to be on the former CNJ Chester branch.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #64 on: Aug 25th, 2008, 6:20am »

......which crossed the Black River.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008, 6:29am by NHIWW » Logged

SR4501
Historian

« Reply #65 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 9:35am »

Anybody have any idea WHY the mixed freight is cancelled for this upcoming weekend? Nothing on the website. Thanks

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 5:04pm »

on Jun 15th, 2009, 9:35am, SR4501 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anybody have any idea

Wanted to wait for 60.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #67 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 5:20pm »

on Jun 15th, 2009, 5:04pm, de-rail wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Wanted to wait for 60.

Is that speculation or fact?

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 5:25pm »

this is fact.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Jun 15th, 2009, 6:46pm »

How long until 60 is out making shake-down runs?

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #70 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 7:46am »

As stated on brrht.org:
"This year's photo freight, normally scheduled for the Friday of Railroad Days weekend, has been postponed. An alternate date for the photo freight will be announced as soon as possible."

The photo freight has NOT been cancelled.  

The freight has been postponed for several reasons, but mainly to provide flexibility in scheduling summer track projects, and to ensure that this year's photo freight is steam powered. It will be rescheduled for later this year, but since we do not have a date for #60's return to service, we also do not have a new date for the freight at this time.  

One change from the ordinary - this will be rescheduled for a Saturday or Sunday to make it more convenient for crew and passengers.

on Jun 15th, 2009, 9:35am, SR4501 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Anybody have any idea WHY the mixed freight is cancelled for this upcoming weekend? Nothing on the website. Thanks

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
SR4501
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 9:42am »

on Jun 16th, 2009, 7:46am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As stated on brrht.org:
"This year's photo freight, normally scheduled for the Friday of Railroad Days weekend, has been postponed. An alternate date for the photo freight will be announced as soon as possible."

The photo freight has NOT been cancelled.  

The freight has been postponed for several reasons, but mainly to provide flexibility in scheduling summer track projects, and to ensure that this year's photo freight is steam powered. It will be rescheduled for later this year, but since we do not have a date for #60's return to service, we also do not have a new date for the freight at this time.  

One change from the ordinary - this will be rescheduled for a Saturday or Sunday to make it more convenient for crew and passengers.

Thank You! When I had found this information out from another club member, it had not been posted on the site at that time. Thanks for the clarification!  

WH
Former Member

« Reply #72 on: Jun 16th, 2009, 11:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

While there is not much TO DO on the engine, I'll put money on the fact that the engine will not run for a month or more (I'm leaning towards the "more"). RR politics over at the good ole' Broken, Rusty & Worthless seem to be getting in the way. BTW, I'm curious as to how regular work is going to get done in a timely fashion on the thing at the rate they are going.

Send her on down here and I'll guarantee the work could be done and a fire going by the weekend.

de-rail
Historian
Railroad Days Postponed

« Reply #73 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 8:01pm »

Railroad days has been postponed:http://www.brrht.org/RailroadDays.htm

Anthony RMLI
Former Member
Railroad Days Posponded

« Reply #74 on: Jun 19th, 2009, 8:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Glad I was not planning on going. Going to Essex and taking my chance with weather actully. Hopefully now they will wait for 60

Would work out nicely for my dad and I if they have the photo freight on a Saturday, and if 60 is pulling it that, would be even better.  

Anthony

« Last Edit: Jun 19th, 2009, 8:13pm by anthonyd_SRR » Logged
rwk
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Jun 21st, 2009, 1:23am »

If not Lambertville, do they ever run public trips to Three Bridges? They did run #60 there on a special train, didn't they? Where is the CNJ Chester branch? Is that the Three Bridges line? The track beyond Three Bridges toward the NJT Raritan Valley Line by Somerville is gone, correct? I remember the BRW did a special run from Flemington to Easton in 1986 via Conrail with 2 diesels the old CF7's with the big yellow BRW on the sides. There was a picture in Trains magazine of the train crossing the old LV bridge (abandoned since 1988 ) into Easton. Why was that run possible in 1986 but it might not be possible today with NS in charge of the Lehigh Line? Was Conrail more lenient toward railfan trips in the 80's and NS is more strict today especially since they ditched their own public excursion program back in Dec 1994. Is it the friction bearing problem with the old coaches and insurance, liability reasons?

« Last Edit: Jun 21st, 2009, 1:24am by rwk » Logged
Conrail6707
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #76 on: Jun 21st, 2009, 11:39am »

on Jun 21st, 2009, 1:23am, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If not Lambertville, do they ever run public trips to Three Bridges? They did run #60 there on a special train, didn't they?

They go to Three Bridges on the photo freights...

Quote:
Where is the CNJ Chester branch? Is that the Three Bridges line?

It's west of Dover. The trackage is current used by the Morristown & Erie IIRC.

Quote:
The track beyond Three Bridges toward the NJT Raritan Valley Line by Somerville is gone, correct?

Yes.

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Sep 9th, 2009, 9:50pm »

It was heard today that a bulldozer will begin clearing out some trees along the ROW between Ringoes Station and Toad Lane in the next few days (starting 9/10/09 or so).

bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Sep 9th, 2009, 11:19pm »

Hmm - what praytell is the point of that, I wonder?

limejuice
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #79 on: Sep 10th, 2009, 10:29am »

To the best of my knowledge, the railroad is officially in service down to Toad Lane, so they have to maintain it to minimum standards, which I don't think allow trees in the gauge.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »