Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 8:25pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River & Western General Discussion
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Black River & Western General Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River & Western General Discussion  (Read 4554 times)
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Black River & Western General Discussion

« Reply #40 on: May 14th, 2008, 1:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 14th, 2008, 12:10pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would it ever be feasible for BRW to rebuild the line between Milford and Lambertville to connect their two divisions together and provide a opportunity for longer excursions with the 142 or BRW's equipment out of Pburg or Lambertville? How far north does the Bel-Del track go from Lamberville? Does it go into Stockton? I know it's gone at Frenchtown.

Anything is possible, but given the current condition of things your answer is no.  I know dreaming can be fun but tis all that will be for now.

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #41 on: May 14th, 2008, 3:04pm »

on May 13th, 2008, 9:20pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What is the Historical Trust?

Best look at the website, http://www.brrht.org. Running trains is not in the Trust's mission statement. The BRRHT started running the passenger trains to keep them going.  

on May 13th, 2008, 11:25pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What exactly is the "Bishop". Is it a coach? I've been curious ever since I heard the term.

- Adam

John L. Bishop is the name of the club/bar car. If memory serves me correctly it was named after the railroad's first president, "The Bishop" is just a nickname. The car was originally a CNJ commuter car.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #42 on: May 14th, 2008, 4:35pm »

on May 14th, 2008, 11:49am, Baldwin_feeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

and I thought it was going to be "The Cardinal"

Actually, it would be proper to follow order....Archbishop would be next in line then the Cardinal, then the Pope.

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: May 14th, 2008, 5:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on May 14th, 2008, 3:04pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
John L. Bishop is the name of the club/bar car.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

- Adam

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #44 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 10:07pm »

Having been on this Railnet board for some time it has always been interesting to read the discussions, and watch how many folks really learn from this forum in a very positive manner.

On the other hand, sometimes it is very hard not to respond to some biased comments posted by a select young mental midget who says he is a "Historian".  Yes, freedom of speech is a guaranteed right.  Right along with the freedom to prove that being a busy mouth and not partaking in trying to better the situation is sure to make one a royal pain in the sit-upon.  So, Colin, why not get your hands dirty once in a while instead of busying them by writing as you do?  You could actually become somewhat of a "real" historian with some actual honest to God first hand knowledge by investing some sweat equity in your own education.

« Last Edit: Jun 13th, 2008, 9:31pm by PRR4811 » Logged
NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member

« Reply #45 on: Jul 6th, 2008, 9:46pm »

i dont know where to post this comment so i throw it out here.i heard that this might be the last year for trains at brw.i am not sure if there is any truth to this but i heard it in passing and figured i would like to see if any one else has something to add to this.
     mark

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 1:40am »

That is a rumor. Kean himself said that the RR would be around for another 7 years at least.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #47 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 10:57am »

Any and all rumors of...

1: The railroad shutting down.
2: The railroad being sold.
3: The steam engine being sold.
4: Passenger service shutting down.
5: The railroad losing money

have no basis in reality.

It is true the railroad was up for sale in the past. I'm sure it's true that if a too-good -to-be-true offer came in a sale would be considered. The BR&W is a business, and businesses are bought and sold everyday. But there are NO PLANS for any of the above items at this time.

The BR&W is in better shape, physically and financially, than it has been in several years. Ridership during the 2008 season has been poor. This is despite our best efforts to get the word out about ourselves and the hard work of all the volunteers. However, passenger operations are not losing money and will continue to be operated for the forseeable future. Remember that most retailers do not turn a profit until Thanksgiving weekend at best (think black Friday)....our passenger operation is no different.

If any Trust members have ANY questions about these or other issues, they may ask any of the Trust Directors. We are not in the habit of keeping secrets; if we have the information you're asking about we'll share it with you.

PS: A successful hydro test was completed on #60 last week and the FRA inspection is being scheduled asap.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
shayfan
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 11:18am »

Andrew B. put three photos of 60 on RP today.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=241827&nseq=1

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=241828&nseq=0

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=241826&nseq=2

Walter Scriptunas II
Climax S/N #1551 restoration volunteer
Photographer
www.scriptunasimages.com
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 4:25pm »

on Jul 7th, 2008, 10:57am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
PS: A successful hydro test was completed on #60 last week and the FRA inspection is being scheduled asap.

That is good news.  Does the RR have an "ETA" of when 60 is expected to return to service?    Looking forward to it...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #50 on: Jul 9th, 2008, 9:10am »

No official ETA. But it's getting closer. The recent successful hydro was a MAJOR long-awaited step forward.

I don't have pictures yet, but recently the rebuilt and repainted draft inducer fan was installed at its old location over the shop lead. Now we just need the water plug! Those of you that last saw the draft inducer before it was taken down know that it didn't have much left to it...mainly rust held together with some luck and a prayer. It's nice to have it back!

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  BRWworktubes2June07_007_adsf.jpg - 163214 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Jul 9th, 2008, 9:22pm »

on Jun 10th, 2008, 10:07pm, PRR4811 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Having been on this Railnet board for some time it has always been interesting to read the discussions, and watch how many folks really learn from this forum in a very positive manner.

On the other hand, sometimes it is very hard not to respond to some biased comments posted by a select young mental midget who says he is a "Historian".  Yes, freedom of speech is a guaranteed right.  Right along with the freedom to prove that being a busy mouth and not partaking in trying to better the situation is sure to make one a royal pain in the sit-upon.  So, Colin, why not get your hands dirty once in a while instead of busying them by writing as you do?  You could actually become somewhat of a "real" historian with some actual honest to God first hand knowledge by investing some sweat equity in your own education.

It seems that the person that wrote the very colorful description of a certain enthusiast, does'nt really know him. I believe the following photos will dispell the negative comments offered by the aforementioned poster.
   BTW, I've ridden behind #60 in 1970, and have rolled my share of tubes.
So I know what these pics are all about. I wonder how many of Mr. Barner's detractors have gotten this close to #60.

cutting a tube to length for the boiler of #60

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (163214 bytes, 968x648 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BRWworktubes2June07_007_adsf.jpg - 163214 Bytes

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  BRWworktubes2June07_004.jpg - 97181 Bytes
« Reply #52 on: Jul 9th, 2008, 9:43pm »

Because of my long association with both full size and scale steamers, it saddens me to see this locomotive languish as it has.  

Colin Barner helping to install a tube through the front sheet of #60

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRWworktubes2June07_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  l_ab7d55c801e63890e79e357c4d491c1f.jpg - 63762 Bytes
« Reply #53 on: Jul 9th, 2008, 9:50pm »

If this is'nt an investment with "sweat equity" and getting one's "hands dirty" then I must be very badly mistaken about what it takes to get a steamer up and running.

Colin about as much in the smoke box of 60 as you can get.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/l_ab7d55c801e63890e79e357c4d491c1f.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2008, 9:53pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian
  blackrivertenderwork0012.jpg - 86497 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: Jul 9th, 2008, 10:39pm »

A more mundane task that Colin Barner was asked to do on the #60. Paint the tank top deck on the tender. Not near as exotic as putting tubes in as shown in the previous photos, but a job that needed to be done, none the less.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/blackrivertenderwork0012.jpg
Click Image to Resize

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Jul 9th, 2008, 11:23pm »

on Jun 10th, 2008, 10:07pm, PRR4811 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

On the other hand, sometimes it is very hard not to respond to some biased comments posted by a select young mental midget who says he is a "Historian".  

I do not believe he ever said he was a historian. The "Historian" label is a ranking that railfan.net uses that has to do with the post count. I forget the exact number, but after a few hundred posts or so you are concidered a "Historian"... whether you really are or not.  

By the way, Colin is far from a midget. That much I do know.  

« Last Edit: Jul 9th, 2008, 11:24pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
NEW  HOPE ENGINEER
Former Member

« Reply #56 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 7:27am »

They prefer to be called (LITTLE PEOPLE)

CR9847
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 11:21pm »

As PRR4811 points out, sometimes folks actually learn things from this board, but at the same time, it is difficult not to respond to some of the pervasive negativity on the part of certain individuals. Anyone who claims to be an enthusiast of a certain railroad, and yet is nothing but negative doesn't seem to be much an enthusiast at all.  

From what I've read, it seems everyone claims they want the railroad to succeed. Instead of spewing the typical "BR&W does this, that, and the other wrong, BR&W does this when they should do that, etc" I challenge those of you who make that claim to ask yourself "what can I personally do to help the railroad succeed?" It can be something as simple as joining the Trust and attending one or two meetings, or it can be a more full scale commitment of crewing the trains and/or working on restoration projects.  

It's easy to sit at the computer, and without any hands on experience, critique any operation. If you think you have all the answers that will cure the ills at BR&W, I challenge you to actually become involved in the operation and help to right the perceived wrongs. Actions speak volumes.  

Is the BR&W or the Trust perfect? No, but I have yet to meet a person or an organization that is. The Trust is the vehicle through which passenger trains will continue to operate. As so many have said here, they want the railroad to succeed. You can start by joining the Trust and starting out crewing trains. Learn the ropes, get your hands dirty, and form your own opinions of the Railroad and/or the Trust.

« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2008, 6:56am by CR9847 » Logged
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 11:36pm »

I came across this idea about a week ago (it happens when you hang out with a BR&W fan for that time) and I couldn't help but ask...

Freight trains can still run to Lambertsville, right? Just so long as they aren't hauling revenue freight cars, right? And speeders can run to Lambertsville, right?

So what's to say BR&W can't run a photo freight to Lambertsville with the people (likely diehard fans) riding to photo spots via speeder?

But I'm not a huge BR&W fan, just someone who tries to treat all tourist lines equally (to an extent). I'd like to hear what could/couldn't make this happen

- Jonathan

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Jul 11th, 2008, 1:38am »

on Jul 10th, 2008, 11:36pm, joneau261 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I came across this idea about a week ago (it happens when you hang out with a BR&W fan for that time) and I couldn't help but ask...

Freight trains can still run to Lambertsville, right? Just so long as they aren't hauling revenue freight cars, right? And speeders can run to Lambertsville, right?

So what's to say BR&W can't run a photo freight to Lambertsville with the people (likely diehard fans) riding to photo spots via speeder?

But I'm not a huge BR&W fan, just someone who tries to treat all tourist lines equally (to an extent). I'd like to hear what could/couldn't make this happen

- Jonathan

No, no.... Nothing runs to Lambertville. The track is in horrible condition, some of it just about ready to fall into the canal. Perhaps speeders do run, I'm not certain, but running a full-sized locomotive would most likely be suicide. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong!  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »