Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 8:38pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Black River & Western General Discussion
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Black River & Western General Discussion
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Black River & Western General Discussion  (Read 4557 times)
maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: Black River & Western General Discussion

« Reply #20 on: May 9th, 2008, 7:27pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

moresteam.  How much time have you spent working a railroad?

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #21 on: May 10th, 2008, 12:34am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I've often wondered the same thing about who plans ahead and/or who is in charge at BRW.  I can't speak for myself but usually if something is happening on a certain date you'd think it would be a main priority to make sure everything is ready for that date or even prior to it.  The passenger dept. is run like a Chinese fire drill.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #22 on: May 10th, 2008, 12:04pm »

on May 9th, 2008, 7:27pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
moresteam. †How much time have you spent working a railroad?

With all due respect, moresteam asks legitimate questions.  It does not take a brain surgeon to have common sense, but it seems like a trait often ellusive to railroaders.  I am sick and tired of the knee-jerk response being "how much time have you spent working a railroad" anytime someone has an iota of legitimate criticism about something.  That type of mindset is a "thumbs up" for the status quo and an impediment to any type of real progress.  Bottom line, there is plenty of room for improvement in their operations.  There, I've said my peace.  Good day, gentlemen.

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: May 10th, 2008, 8:53pm »

It's not the questions. It's the sarcasm and trashing of the railroad that accompany them. That elicits the reaction.

moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: May 12th, 2008, 10:32am »

Maps53,

Please do not get me wrong in my questioning. I defiantly what to see the RR survive and flourish. However, I do not see the connection between how much time I have spent working on a Railroad to the COTS of the cars not being ready.

I have done a bit of investigating and know that the COT&S (Clean, Oil, Test & Stencil) needs to be done every 5 years. Itís even stenciled on the car as to when this was last performed.

Whether I work on a railroad or have worked on a railroad should not make any difference. If I fail to perform a task for my job, I will receive a reprimand or even be fired from my job. I would assume a Railroad would be even more strict with itís paperwork and jobs since the FRA does watch over them.

From what BRWRuckus (Mr. Shea) had mentioned in a post is that someone failed to complete the task in time. In fact, it sounds as if the person actually lied. Most companies will not put up with this type of action.

A lot of the Posts I see on the Black River Board seem to be negative. That is fairly typical. I also understand that the passenger trains are run by the volunteers. I assume that itís the Black River Railroad Historical Trust. (My hat is off to you guys.) But I have also been seeing some fairly positive posts at times. This tells me that things are not as bad as they could be.

If it was the Black River Railroad who was to take care of the COT&S on the cars, there seems to be some problems there with management. However, if it were the Black River Railroad Historical Trust and the Volunteers. Well, letís just say that a lot of latitude needs to be given to those guys. They are only there on the weekends and Iím sure itís tough getting things done in only two days out of the week.

If those at the RR continue to say ďThatís the way it has always been.Ē I would thing that we need to make a mental check to see how things can change for the better. And this would be especially true of those who have been around for a while.

I apologize for the rant, but I did want to try and keep this on the positive side.

moresteam

moresteam
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #25 on: May 12th, 2008, 3:21pm »

on May 7th, 2008, 2:56pm, Baldwin_feeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yeah hard to think that when 60 comes out the numbers will stay as low as 12 people on a beautiful Sunday with temperatures in the low 70s. †I still have to find time to stop by and see if I can lend a hand on 60, I think I shall give up on train service over there as I don't see it being worthy way to spend my time, at least as of now.

Why not?...a nearby, across the river, railroad does it all the time! At least BR&W is not paying every single staff member that day to operate the trains.

A glitch indeed, a gastly stumble, but it's early in the season. If you think things like this don't happen elsewhere, think again.  "Professionally Run" tourist railroads have major bumps...look at the Georgetown Loop. BR&W is still just a shortline, old school, hard headed at times, but going along.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #26 on: May 12th, 2008, 8:58pm »

on May 12th, 2008, 3:21pm, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Why not?...a nearby, across the river, railroad does it all the time! At least BR&W is not paying every single staff member that day to operate the trains.

A glitch indeed, a gastly stumble, but it's early in the season. If you think things like this don't happen elsewhere, think again. †"Professionally Run" tourist railroads have major bumps...look at the Georgetown Loop. BR&W is still just a shortline, old school, hard headed at times, but going along.

You are right. It was the first weekend for trains when there were 12 people. Just this past weekend, the single coach that they had running was completely filled every trip except for the first.

« Last Edit: May 12th, 2008, 8:59pm by Black_River_Joe » Logged

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:14pm »

on May 12th, 2008, 8:58pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

You are right. It was the first weekend for trains when there were 12 people. Just this past weekend, the single coach that they had running was completely filled every trip except for the first.

Not a bad start.  Hope to hear that the BR&W filled two coaches, and then three, and so on in the future.  The local interest is there, believe me.  And if I'm not mistaken, this coming weekend is their train robberies......  

Truth be told, I'm sure there's something to complain about in nearly every tourist railroad operation.  Although I'm willing to bet that everyone who posts here simply wants the BR&W to succeed (myself included).  

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: May 12th, 2008, 9:20pm »

on May 12th, 2008, 3:21pm, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey, I'm not going to complain that "a nearby, across the river, railroad" pays "every single staff member that day to operate the trains."  For me, a l'il pocket change is a significant incentive to remain involved in their operations!  

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #29 on: May 13th, 2008, 9:25am »

I'm glad this discussion took a positive turn...thanks guys.

It's true: this was a major stumble. In my discussions with other Trust members I have described the situation simply as organizational failure. That's what happened. End of story. In this instance fault does not lie entirely with the railroad or entirely with the Trust. We were mutually responsible for seeing that the work was done....and it didn't get done.

The previously mentioned individual who was in charge of doing this work is not an actual employee and can't really be fired. However, he or she has certainly been made aware of our displeasure, and we have already taken steps to make sure this does not happen again. An expert has been hired by the railroad to supervise the work AND teach a few of our volunteers how to do the work in the future. Now we have a larger number of people that know how to do this work and do not need to rely on only one or two people that have that knowledge.

The next car to be put back in service will be the Bishop...although nothing is in stone. The necessary parts were ordered last week and should be arriving at Ringoes by the end of this week. Volunteers will be there Friday afternoon to get to work to have the Bishop ready for the weekend. Obviously that timeline does not leave a lot of room for error, but we're doing the best we can.

Try and try as we may, there will always be hiccups like this from time to time with any organization, especially one run entirely by volunteers. The best we can do is learn from mistakes and not repeat them.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #30 on: May 13th, 2008, 1:29pm »

Just a quick update. I spoke too soon. The parts for finishing the COT&S work on the coaches have already arrived and most of the work is now done. The Bishop is back in service, as is combine #297. One coach remains to be completed and should be done later this week.

Every now and then things actually get done quickly!

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #31 on: May 13th, 2008, 2:23pm »

Congratulations guys for getting the job done and in a timely manor.
Even thought this work was done by an expert, it was nice to see that the volunteers took an interest in seeing how the work was done. Hopefully they have learned from this incident and have learned a bit more about Railroading.

Were any of the volunteers able to help the expert with the additional cars that are running again??

So what happens to be next on the maintenance list of ďThings to DoĒ?

moresteam

moresteam
rwk
Historian

« Reply #32 on: May 13th, 2008, 9:20pm »

What is the Historical Trust? Are they part of BRW or a separate group? Didn't BRW operate the trains themselves before and the Trust was recently created to operate the excursion trains and BRW operates the freight service? No plans for Ringoes-Lambertville anytime soon or steam?

rwk
Historian

« Reply #33 on: May 13th, 2008, 9:23pm »

Someday I'd like to ride a special steam excursion from Lambertville to Three Bridges and return. Wishful thinking.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #34 on: May 13th, 2008, 10:19pm »

on May 13th, 2008, 9:20pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What is the Historical Trust? Are they part of BRW or a separate group? Didn't BRW operate the trains themselves before and the Trust was recently created to operate the excursion trains and BRW operates the freight service? No plans for Ringoes-Lambertville anytime soon or steam?

The Historical trust is a group of volunteers that give their time for running trains on weekends, and helping with projects and restorations. The BRW did operate the trains before the trust. The trust has a few goals, one of them being to control all the passenger service on BRW. Another goal is to restore the lambertville line in the next 10 years. †

Mike, (brwruckus) will be able to share more.

« Last Edit: May 13th, 2008, 10:19pm by Black_River_Joe » Logged

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #35 on: May 13th, 2008, 11:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on May 13th, 2008, 1:29pm, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The Bishop is back in service

What exactly is the "Bishop". Is it a coach? I've been curious ever since I heard the term.

- Adam

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: May 14th, 2008, 11:28am »

on May 13th, 2008, 11:25pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What exactly is the "Bishop". Is it a coach? I've been curious ever since I heard the term.

- Adam

The parlor car.

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: May 14th, 2008, 11:46am »

Rumor has it they're naming their next one The Pope (get it - The Bishop, The Pope?).  

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: May 14th, 2008, 11:49am »

on May 14th, 2008, 11:46am, GP9_engineer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Rumor has it they're naming their next one The Pope (get it - The Bishop, The Pope?).  

and I thought it was going to be "The Cardinal"

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

rwk
Historian

« Reply #39 on: May 14th, 2008, 12:10pm »

Would it ever be feasible for BRW to rebuild the line between Milford and Lambertville to connect their two divisions together and provide a opportunity for longer excursions with the 142 or BRW's equipment out of Pburg or Lambertville? How far north does the Bel-Del track go from Lamberville? Does it go into Stockton? I know it's gone at Frenchtown.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »