Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 11:44am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Caboose 474 MISSING
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   Caboose 474 MISSING
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Caboose 474 MISSING  (Read 1447 times)
brw60

Caboose 474 MISSING

« on: Oct 19th, 2004, 6:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

According to my inside source, caboose 474 was reported missing over the weekend by railroad officials.  It was parked in Ringoes Yard on Friday, and on Saturday morning it was gone.  It was not set out for interchange, or moved by rail.  RR officials are puzzled!

J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: Caboose 474 MISSING

« Reply #1 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 6:44pm »

Either that or someone took an enginje from the mainline and stole it!

brw60

« Reply #2 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 7:32pm »

on Oct 19th, 2004, 6:42pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We know what happened to it.  There was this large man with a little coupler on the back of his SUV.  He must of hitched up and stole it!

They make such things?  SUV's with couplers?  Wouldnt surprise me, these things are bigger than locomotives now! Wonder if it's the size of the old doodlebug coupler.

But seriously, the caboose is missing.  It is NOWHERE to be found on the property of either railroads.

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 8:13pm »

Oh great, now railroads have another thing to worry about. Theives wont just steal the number plate, they'll take the whole locomotive instead.  But seriously, what are they going to do, have NJ state police helicopters search for a truck with a caboose on the back?  You cant hide a stolen railroad car easily!

How could this have happened?  Someone could have seen something was not right when a caboose was being loaded onto a trailer in the MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT!
 They'll find it eventually, but how do railroads defend against this?  It cant come to the point where they come to work on monday and their entire fleet of locomotives is gone!  ( prolly'll be stolen by CSX with all the leasers they run   )

Cy

Go Braves!

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 8:29pm »

Holy _______ !!!
How does that happen!!
Maybe it rolled away or
Check the trees!!

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 8:55pm »

WOW! That is weird!

strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 9:00pm »

but if ya hook it up to an suv,how do ya get it off the tracks .hopefully 60 wont be next that retard who stole it if anyone did better start runnin cause where  comin

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
prostock19
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 9:09pm »

Is there any confirmation about this report? or is this another joke.

Conductor_Cornhole
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 11:36pm »

I work for the BR&W and I can confirm that the caboose is currently missing and not on the property. It did not roll down to Lambertville, nor is it anywhere on the railroad at all. This is a most puzzling occurence. I am a former military intelligence translator, the Navy was nice enough to send me to school to learn Arabic. I have a few friends still in the service and I sent out a few emails. A good friend of mine originally from Virginia gave me a scoop on the 474. He said it arrived in Baghdad on Monday, 18 October 2004, and is currently in service on the Trans-Iraqi State Railways as a mobile command post for the 3rd Armored Division. My friend said the reason non of the neighbors in Ringoes heard or saw nothing of the caboose being moved is that a particular government agency was in charge of the movement, using cliche black helicoptors equipped with LTW (less-than-whisper) sound mufflers, and the movement was done in the middle of the night after the entire town was dusted with knockout gas to put to sleep any night owls. Long story short, 474 is doing her patriotic duty.

Mike

Conductor_Cornhole
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Oct 19th, 2004, 11:53pm »

Ok, Ok, I was kidding about the mobile command post all. As I am normally a mild mannered person, I tend to shroud my anger in sarcasm and humor. Who the hell steals a caboose in the middle of the night? Makes me wish NJ were more like Texas, where they can still shoot horse thieves. Besides, information like that would be highly classified and no chance of it leaking out. The truth is, 474 is gone and we don't know where it is. This reminds me of an instance that occured around 1992 or 1993 - Some horse-turd stole 60's whistle in the middle of the night one weekend. We had to pull one of the museum whistles off the shelf and clean it up and mount it on 60.

The difference here is we don't have another serviceable caboose on the property that is not privately owned, and we don't have a museum per se anymore to even pull a caboose out of. I wonder if the same culprit whistle thief came back to the scene of the crime looking for something bigger than just a mere steam whistle.  If anyone has any real information about the disappearance of BRW caboose 474, please let us know. The authorities have been notified, but we will take whatever help we can get on this.

Thanks for understanding, everybody. I apologise for my earlier outburst. Please do not allow that to deter you from helping us locate our caboose. And have a great week.

Mike

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #10 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 3:52am »

How the    .........who  .......when did this   ........  say that again.....a caboose dissappeared in the middle of the night!?

I find this hard to believe. Doesn't Kean or his family live up the hill in the old farm house?  It's not exactly that noisey around there....I think someone would hear trucks moving around or a winch or a crane for that matter loading up a 25(?) ton cab?

Just find this hard to believe.

Did little green men from the planet Alcodwin pay a visit to Ringoes and take a souviner?  

.....maybe they are diehard railfans?

Conrail6707
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 7:05am »

Geez, this is kind of hard to believe!  

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 9:47am »

I think I found it..
I havent seen it there personally,
but it is probably at Rockefeller Plaza in Manhattan..
Scot

(thats not a joke..im totally serious)

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2004, 11:36am by scottychaos » Logged
caboose9
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 2:27pm »

NHIWW said, "I think someone would hear trucks moving around or a winch or a crane for that matter loading up a 25(?) ton cab.  Just find this hard to believe."

Hi,

Since it is probably legal for interchange it probably went by rail and with the owners knowledge.

Am I the only one that finds the Conductor's screen name probably apt, but offensive?

Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 3:35pm »

its been found!
we have a first-hand conformation its at Rockefeller Plaza !  

http://64.78.30.219/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7370

Scot

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Oct 20th, 2004, 11:16pm »

How the $#!t did those people talking about " the wonderful new caboose display at Rockefeller Plaza "  not know that people from the BR&W are looking for the caboose!  The people steal a caboose, and put it in the middle of New York and dont expect it to be found!  
            Cy

Go Braves!

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 9:49am »

well, its painfully obvious that someone from the BR&W arranged for this happen, and knew all about it!
apparently not *everyone* from the BR&W was aware of it though..
I highly doubt a group from Rockefeller Plaza decieded to sneak out and steal the caboose without telling the BR&W!  
this was obviously all arranged by both parties way in advance..

Scot

Conrail6707
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 10:49am »

on Oct 21st, 2004, 9:49am, scottychaos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
well, its painfully obvious that someone from the BR&W arranged for this happen, and knew all about it!
apparently not *everyone* from the BR&W was aware of it though..
I highly doubt a group from Rockefeller Plaza decieded to sneak out and steal the caboose without telling the BR&W!  
this was obviously all arranged by both parties way in advance..

Scot

I had a feeling this was a joke...

scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 12:12pm »

personally, I dont think it was a joke..
although it could have been..
I think some of the members of the BR&W genuinally didnt know the caboose was leaving! I think they actually knew nothing about it, and were in fact amazed that it was gone..
what would be the point of making a joke out of it?
I think it was just a lack of communication within the group..
but thats just my guess..
(I have never even been to the BR&W! I know nothing about its members)
Scot

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2004, 12:13pm by scottychaos » Logged
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21st, 2004, 9:12pm »

"The Ringoes Traingle" Actually, maps53 60's smokebox cover was reported missing today!   The only problem wih this is.........

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2004, 9:14pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »