Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 10:26pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BR&W Photos Thread
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
   BR&W Photos Thread
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...  27 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BR&W Photos Thread  (Read 11477 times)
WM734
Former Member
Re: BR&W Photos Thread

« Reply #340 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 6:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Aug 28th, 2007, 10:57am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Im going to the railroad this sunday and Im bringing the best weed killer that is available. †On another note they did trim a few of the bigger bushes that actually came in through the windows. There are a few more spots on the main to be trimmed, but how about a group of us meet in a week or two and I will set up a train to cut weeds along the line and in Ringoes and Flemington?

If anyone is interested in weed trimming, send me a email (jmbrwandmthrcool@aol.com) and tell me. Then I will talk to Kean and see when we can do this.

JOE...

YOU NEED TO BE QUALIFIED TO SPRAY WEEDS!!!!!  You cannot just "talk to Kean" and start spraying.  Yes, though it is a ridiculous rule, it is true.  In order to spray weeds and cut down brush, you must be qualified.  I am sorry for "yelling" but writing things like this on open post is truely not a great idea...especially if you're not qualified to do so.  

Would I love to go up there myself and spray Ringoes to smitherines?  Heck yeah, I'd be there tomorrow...if I could do it...but unfortunately with all the FRA BS, the average person cannot.

-Colin

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #341 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 28th, 2007, 6:26pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

JOE...

YOU NEED TO BE QUALIFIED TO SPRAY WEEDS!!!!! †You cannot just "talk to Kean" and start spraying. †Yes, though it is a ridiculous rule, it is true. †In order to spray weeds and cut down brush, you must be qualified. †

-Colin

Oh don't be so negitive Colin, can't we just get a wavier?

Seriously seconds after I read that I bursted out in laughter. Come to think of it some museum Railroads don't have obey every little FRA rule becouse they don't have any public crossing, so I don't see anything wrong with just spraying the station area. Since there is not a crossing near the station.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #342 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 7:39pm »

In the pictures above the Ringoes station has weeds all around by the platform area of the tracks.

I would love to go and help but I live in Phoenix and it is a little bit of a ride for me.

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #343 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 8:34pm »

on Aug 28th, 2007, 7:09pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Oh don't be so negitive Colin, can't we just get a wavier?

Seriously seconds after I read that I bursted out in laughter. Come to think of it some museum Railroads don't have obey every little FRA rule becouse they don't have any public crossing, so I don't see anything wrong with just spraying the station area. Since there is not a crossing near the station.

If there is a public crossing on the railroad itself and the railroad is under FRA then anywhere on the railroad is subject to the rules, just because there may not be a crossing near by doesn't mean a thing since you are still on a FRA mandated railroad.  I'm sure the insurance wouldn't be covering anything that could happen especially if you aren't at least qualified on track safety.

~Casey

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #344 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 11:09pm »

I have a friend in the FRA. Does that help

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #345 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 6:59pm »

It might be useful to give him a cal, to see if you can do it, but Iím sure they donít have anything against spraying for weeds, You just have to be careful with tourists really

Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #346 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 8:35pm »

on Aug 28th, 2007, 11:09pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have a friend in the FRA. Does that help

Might as well ask if he can find a waiver for it so we can get a group to do this, because they are sure not going to tell you that there is one.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #347 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 11:58am »

Spraying any sort of pesticide/herbicide on the railroad property requires you to be EPA certified. It doesn't really have anything to do with the FRA unless you are operating track equipment as part of your work.

This has nothing to do with BRW or BRRHT rules: it has everything to do with Federal, State, and local regulations so that any old yahoo who shows up on the property doesn't start dumping toxic chemicals all over the place.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #348 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 12:03pm »

I keep reading a lot of "they" should do this or "they" should do that.

The people that come out and do things on the property, be it taking out the trash, crewing the trains, or whatever else, is pretty limited lately. But there is quite a wide variety of people talking about what "they" should do.

If somebody has a problem with the status quo then come do something about it. Because there's no other way it's going to get done. Want to get rid of weeds? Get qualified and come help out with it. Want to paint/fix equipment? Come help out with it.

There are a million and one things that need to be done at the so-called "dump-hole" that is BRW right now. If they bother you, come work on them.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #349 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 11:39pm »

If you need to be EPA certified to spray round up then I would assume that is the reason for the jungle.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #350 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 1:22pm »

on Aug 30th, 2007, 12:03pm, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I keep reading a lot of "they" should do this or "they" should do that.

The people that come out and do things on the property, be it taking out the trash, crewing the trains, or whatever else, is pretty limited lately. But there is quite a wide variety of people talking about what "they" should do.

If somebody has a problem with the status quo then come do something about it. Because there's no other way it's going to get done. Want to get rid of weeds? Get qualified and come help out with it. Want to paint/fix equipment? Come help out with it.

There are a million and one things that need to be done at the so-called "dump-hole" that is BRW right now. If they bother you, come work on them.

First I want to say thank you for posting, I noticed that you had not posted in a month or two and you cleared up several things. I have one question though. What does it take to become qualified to spray weeds?

cjvrr
TRAINing

« Reply #351 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 4:25pm »

It is my understanding that to work for the BR&W cutting brush or any other type of work on the right of way, you need to be qualified by the RR and go through RWP (Roadway Worker Protection) training.   The training is offered by the RR.

Prior to the training, you must also be a paying member of the Historic Trust or the NYS&W THS.

Mike is correct about spraying weeds, doesn't matter if you use Roundup or some other over or under the counter stuff, if you spray, you need to be approved by the Feds/ State.   Stupid rule, but there are a lot of those.

I wish the Trust the best of luck in their work.

Chris

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #352 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 11:05pm »

Hate to say it, but the problem is that there are people who work there who are qualified, and still don't bother to do it.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #353 on: Sep 1st, 2007, 12:33pm »

on Aug 30th, 2007, 12:03pm, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Easier said than done, considering that one of the issues being talked about is the all the rules and hoops one has to jump through in order to do anything to help.   I've never seen so much red tape at a volunteer organization.      A wee bit of an exaggeration, but you get the idea...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #354 on: Sep 4th, 2007, 10:21am »

on Aug 31st, 2007, 1:22pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

First I want to say thank you for posting, I noticed that you had not posted in a month or two and you cleared up several things. I have one question though. What does it take to become qualified to spray weeds?

Well it's been a busy summer, between moving, work, and BRRHT stuff. Happy to be back though. I really don't mean to offend anybody here when I start moaning about lack of help. I end up spending a good 15-20 hours every week working on BRRHT stuff and so it gets frustrating hearing about all the things that "I should be doing" when the reality is that, at least the BRRHT Directors, are truly doing everything we can to move forward. We just need help.

Anyway....back on topic. Weed spraying.

The amount of red tape in getting qualified ends up depending on what and how much you plan to spray.  

Generally at the BRW you'd want to spray Round-Up or something similar, which as far as these things go is pretty tame. To work on the right of way at the rr, as someone else pointed out, you would need to be a member of one of the two not for profits the BRW works with, and you'd need to be RWP qualified. Getting this qualification takes about 10-15 minutes using an online course the rr has created. Very easy.

I'm not really sure exactly where you need to start to get EPA qualified. New Jersey's EPA website is http://www.state.nj.us/dep/. If you were to contact them they could probably point you in the right direction. There is at least one person at the rr I know of that is qualified and could probably help you. If you contact me outside this forum I can get you in touch with him. He hasn't been worrying about spraying because he is focused on finishing another project...the steam engine.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
de-rail
Historian
  BRW_001.jpg - 57923 Bytes
« Reply #355 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:09pm »

Stoped by in Ringoes to day, here are some shots I took of the yard.

The Railroad has a new freight costomer this car supposedly came from California

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRW_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

de-rail
Historian
  BRW_0038.jpg - 75622 Bytes
« Reply #356 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:15pm »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRW_0038.jpg
Click Image to Resize

de-rail
Historian
  BRW_004.jpg - 58951 Bytes
« Reply #357 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:17pm »

The Erie Hack, it's new owner has been working on it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRW_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  Picture_or_Video_383.jpg - 65995 Bytes
« Reply #358 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:39pm »

here is the 4 car train as it enters the station.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Picture_or_Video_383.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  Picture_or_Video_384.jpg - 58506 Bytes
« Reply #359 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:41pm »

todays train was moving very slowly cause the tracks were wet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Picture_or_Video_384.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...  27 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »