Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 21st, 2017, 9:10am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Status of ex Lackawanna coaches
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Status of ex Lackawanna coaches  (Read 880 times)
hayshaker
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Aug 21st, 2004, 9:26am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Can anybody give an update on the Lackawanna coach fleet? Last thing I heard they were all on the RIP track.

Dutchrailnut
Historian
Re: Status of ex Lackawanna coaches

« Reply #1 on: Aug 21st, 2004, 8:09pm »

which lackawana coaches ??
 and a RIP track is Repair in Place so were are they being repaired

A true fan only takes pictures and only leaves footprints
hayshaker
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 7:53pm »

The last roster I saw said they have 5 of them O/S. 301,302,303,304, & 305.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 18th, 2006, 9:26am »

301, 304, 305 and if they still have it 306 were regular coaches...now 301 is the red one with all the grafitti on it 304, 305 , and 306 still have the regular green paint except saying Black River & Western they just have the symbol on the bottom....302 and 303 were special cars...302 was the open window car and 303 was the Hunterdon flyer with the hunterdon flyer circle on the back of the car they used it for going up to lambertville on special events      

Joe

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #4 on: May 23rd, 2007, 9:37am »

RECENT UPDATE: The only coaches left are 302, 303, 304, and 305.  301 has mysteriously disapeared and the same goes with 306

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #5 on: May 23rd, 2007, 3:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I hope they were sold and not scraped

Anthony

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: May 23rd, 2007, 4:28pm »

Those 2 were scrapped last year. They were not salvagable. There are no plans to scrap any additional coaches.

As for the rest:

The BRRHT intends to restore one or more (hopefully all) of these to operating condition. There is not a timetable for this work. One very pressing issue we have right now is lack of passenger capacity. We will be embarking on restoration of some piece of passenger equipment in the near future...it's just a question of what that equipment will be.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: May 23rd, 2007, 7:17pm »

Why not refurbish one of the Open Cars. They are always popular, and you can attain extra revenue from a $1 surcharge for those seats and dedicate that money to more Lackawanna Cars being restored.  

It would most likely be your easiest refurbishment. I would imagine the concrete floors are shot or nearly, which you could do a similar process W&W did by ripping out that floor and putting in decking which will not last forever, but will not allow water to build up and rot away the sides.

I would also imagine some sort of steel work is needed to the side panels from the above mentioned.

Just a thought.  

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #8 on: May 24th, 2007, 6:04am »

on May 23rd, 2007, 7:17pm, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why not refurbish one of the Open Cars. They are always popular, and you can attain extra revenue from a $1 surcharge for those seats and dedicate that money to more Lackawanna Cars being restored.  

It would most likely be your easiest refurbishment. I would imagine the concrete floors are shot or nearly, which you could do a similar process W&W did by ripping out that floor and putting in decking which will not last forever, but will not allow water to build up and rot away the sides.

I would also imagine some sort of steel work is needed to the side panels from the above mentioned.

Just a thought.  

The only open window car they have is 302 and that would be great if it could be refurbished and i dont think that if the rest of them are restored, the black river will use four at the most so you will have 7 passenger cars and unless the BRW opens the line to lambertville, then they have no use for those extra three cars.  

Yes i know it is just a thought, just stating what is probably gonna happen  

On a side note, now i have to model 301 and 306 for my fleet of BRW stuff

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: May 24th, 2007, 9:30am »

Your ideas on the open car are good ones, and many of our volunteers agree with you that this should be one of the first coaches to be restored.

That car has always been popular for obvious reasons and probably would be just as popular now and in the future.

In fact, we have a need for as many coaches as we can get our grubby hands on. 7, 8, 9....the more the merrier.

Extra coaches means extra capacity when needed, extra flexibility for things like running two trains simultaneously, Lambertville trains, etc. It also means if one or two coaches need to be out of service for repairs or maintanance it doesn't cripple operations.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: May 24th, 2007, 4:37pm »

The open car would probably be the best esspecally in the summerand you could proably charge atleast $2 extra in the summer..........For modeling the cars Joe you might want ot try http://www.rrhistorical.com/cgi/Labelle_Models/labelle.cgi?ACTION=thispage&thispage=page11.html&ORDER_ID=692389945

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 24th, 2007, 9:44pm »

no anthony, i already have a plan for that, and when i get another coach, i will post it on the BRW modeling page

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #12 on: May 25th, 2007, 4:39pm »

Sounds good  

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  Picture_or_Video_401.jpg - 102671 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:18am »

Here are some pictures

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Picture_or_Video_401.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:21am »

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #15 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 9:00am »

Judging from those pics, if anything, they need to get some sort of coating on the roof of each of those cars before they are complete waste.

I know there are other prorities, but if ANYONE has any intrest in seeing those cars in future service, they either need paint or a coating of tar (although not the preferred method) to prevent further interior damage, particularly within the clearstory area.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:03am »

The trust has thought about putting tar on the roof, but we thought that the best idea was to get custom tarps made so that no further damage could be done in the winter.

de-rail
Historian
  BRWRR_058b.jpg - 64123 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:22pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:18am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here are some pictures

What no shots of the inside?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRWRR_058b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 5:54pm »

The cars are not in as bad of condition as I thought they were. The open-air car would be a really good addition that would bring some extra money. The other cars I donít think really need to be restored unless there is some sudden raise in ridership. People always seem to like the open-air cars Personally I think the ideal train would be the following (although I donít see this ever happening)

Full Baggage
Combine
Coach  
Coach  
Bishop
Observation Car (that was with baggage car)
Caboose
 The inside of the cars is allot better than I had imaged. From the LOOKS of it does not look like a whole lot of work needs to be done to the cars, but it will take some time to do.

SGP, did you need permission to go down there? I wanted to but was not sure if I could

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #19 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 6:08pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 3:22pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What no shots of the inside?

Can you wait one more week? lol i will get to some.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »