Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 8:21pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35581 times)
joneau261
Historian
Re: #60

« Reply #60 on: Jul 9th, 2006, 8:30pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Any word on 60's condition?

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 8:59am »

See the photo 4 posts above.  

de-rail
Historian
  60.jpg - 28321 Bytes
« Reply #62 on: Aug 3rd, 2006, 4:19pm »

Last time I was in Ringoes the shed door was closed however 60's front was out for show

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/60.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_Ribera
Historian

« Reply #63 on: Aug 20th, 2006, 10:51am »

How is 60 really doing? Seems like they cleaned up the smokebox front. does that mean that the boiler tubes are possibly in and thay are getting ready to button it up? Man, 60 in time for Christmas runs? Boy, that would be nice! Go see NH&I 40 and than cross the river and see 60! 2 steam only 25 minutes apart! Cant wait! Hey ya think the NH&I, B&D, and the BR&W would do a joint railfan weekend and get the 3 steamers together on one line? I just think it would be something else to see 40, 142, and 60 together all under steam and running excursions! That would just be something else, i cant even imagine it!

Thanks, Ant

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 12:27am »

Wow, her smokebox cover really does look better!

Glad to see that they care.

« Last Edit: Aug 21st, 2006, 12:29am by J. M. Fusco » Logged
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #65 on: Aug 21st, 2006, 9:46am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

WOW No.60 almoust looks like she is ready to ride the rails again
~AnthonyD~

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #66 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 10:34pm »

Hey all-

Any news on the old gal?  The anticipation is killing me........... lol     Nah ,seriously, i miss seeing the 60 in action alot.  From the posts above, looks like she`s coming along nicely.    Take care    -Chris

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 3:05pm »

according to one of the volenteers that work on the Black River & Western, they said it should  hopefully be running next may when the BRW opens....lets hope

~Joe

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Oct 16th, 2006, 7:28pm »

Well now that would be nice, now wouldn't it?  

*3300th Post!*  

strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 9:47am »

That sure would be nice. Next year, I will be so happy to have steam 25 minutes away from me at two places. Joe, New Hope might have some competition trying to get me...nah. I think i'll do both!

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #70 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 5:59pm »

I can't wait till 60 is running. I'll have 2 stemers 2 hours away
~AnthonyD~

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #71 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 8:42pm »

on Oct 30th, 2006, 5:59pm, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I can't wait till 60 is running. I'll have 2 stemers 2 hours away
~AnthonyD~

AnthonyD, I may be slightly off but I think they are closer than 2 hours. By car it probibly is, by Speeder I don't know, and by regular train (well we don't deal with that know but it never hurts to dream).

If you are planing on doing both may I sugest the Lambetville station it has great food and is rich in History!

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 5:24am »

and anthony ssr if you do come down tell me and spg so that we can meet you there

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
ARA18
Historian

« Reply #73 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 4:36pm »

Wow you guys are lucky. Even without #60. A&A #18 has been down since 2001, and still there hasn't been anything about her since, other than in an Erie Valley Video in 2004. And she's a further drive, than NH&I #40 and BR&W #60 is from you guys. In truth things have been better for you with BR&W #60, than A&A #18 for me. If I want to sound more pessimestic I could mention she was ready in 2005, but failed to meet some FRA standards.

« Last Edit: Oct 31st, 2006, 4:38pm by ARA18 » Logged

Go Leafs!
CSX sucks!
American Viscose #6
Arcade & Attica #18
New York Centra; 4068/4080, Life's Good up here.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #74 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 6:54pm »

on Oct 30th, 2006, 8:42pm, sgp__Rail_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

AnthonyD, I may be slightly off but I think they are closer than 2 hours. By car it probibly is, by Speeder I don't know, and by regular train (well we don't deal with that know but it never hurts to dream).

If you are planing on doing both may I sugest the Lambetville station it has great food and is rich in History!

yeah it;s probably less time but I always count in New York traffic on a bad day.

on Oct 31st, 2006, 5:24am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
and anthony srr if you do come down tell me and spg so that we can meet you there

Thanks, I might go when 60 is out and about and go to the Bel Del and Black River to see 142 and 60, but I might  go if there is another Railfan weekend at the bel del
~AnthonyD~

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #75 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 9:49pm »

Everyone is waiting to see her run the rails again, but it is going to be a little more time I think.  They are working on her fast as they can, but she is and incredible piece of machinery that is going to take a little time to get her back to her magnificent self again.  If she does come out on the rails this Spring like planned, I will be definitely taking the trip back to Jersey with the misses in June, she will go to her wedding and I will be heading to Ringoes!

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #76 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 9:29pm »

Hi all-

Whats the latest and greatest for ol #60?  Anybody have any recent pics/info?  Take care    -Chris

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 10:17pm »

on Oct 31st, 2006, 9:49pm, Hulka wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Everyone is waiting to see her run the rails again, but it is going to be a little more time I think.  They are working on her fast as they can, but she is and incredible piece of machinery that is going to take a little time to get her back to her magnificent self again.  If she does come out on the rails this Spring like planned, I will be definitely taking the trip back to Jersey with the misses in June, she will go to her wedding and I will be heading to Ringoes!

She's due out this spring?

This is wonderful!  

However, something tells me that #60 won't be out this spring, as much as I want her to be. I'm surprised the BR&W set such an ambitious goal. I can't see #60 hitting the rails again so soon, unless they kick it into high gear and ''git'er'done''.  

J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: #60 - UPDATE!

« Reply #78 on: Jan 20th, 2007, 10:25pm »

In case this hasn’t been posted elsewhere…

#60 gets some progress! (September 24, 2006)

” ALCO 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive #60 was purchased by the Black River & Western Railroad in 1964. #60 was built in 1937 and is formerly from the Great Western Railway. It is currently out-of-service at Ringoes undergoing class repairs and federal inspections. #60 has been out of service since late 2000 for its form 4 boiler inspection required by the FRA. While no timeline has been established for it's return to service, a number of large scale repairs have been done thus far and the volunteers are confident that #60 will be in much better shape when she is returned to service.

The water tank on the tender car has been repaired by Paul Nicholson and Brian Jepson whom welded new baffles and patches to strengthen the thin spots and covered any holes. An epoxy sealant was applied to the bottom of the tank to prevent further rusting and to seal any small leaks.

The main drive pistons have been repaired and installed. To improve the operational efficiency, the ring grooves and shaft were remachined. New rings were installed to match the new grooves to prevent any blow by. The air compressor has been completely rebuilt and is ready to go. The next big project is the installation of superheater flues and all the 2 inch boiler tubes. The materials for the job are not yet in Ringoes at this time but are in process.

Photos by Dick Hague

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2007, 10:26pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
765 fan
Historian

« Reply #79 on: Jan 21st, 2007, 1:54am »

Gald to see 60 getting worked on!!!!!!!

Head manager of the Chicagoland Railroad.

Pay attention to life, it will surprise you.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and make everyone wonder how the hell did you do that!?!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »