Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 23rd, 2017, 4:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35661 times)
SR4501
Historian
Re: #60

« Reply #580 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 10:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Aug 13th, 2009, 10:20am, HIGH_BALLER_69 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

the facts are that BR&W is not what it once was,if you want the truth about BR&W just stop by and take a look around and judge for yourself.makes new hope look like the 4 seasons.LOL

I'd like to make a comment. I have been going to both NHIR and BRW since I was 6 years old. Over time, I watched as the NHIR had steam running and BRW did as well. Then NHIR stopped steam and the equipment looked in despair. BRW on the other hand, had its steam engine running, doodlebug to Lambertville and their stuff was in goos condition. Then the NHIR rebuilt #40, upgraded the track and some of thie equipment and steam was once back again. BRW.. #60 went down, diesels took over, the line got neglected, as did the equipment Lambertville service was disontinued. Now currently, #60 may return back to service (which I praise all the volunteers that did restore her!) but the track needs repair and so does some of the equipment. My point is the 2 RR's seem to go back and forth from good to bad and back again. Give the BRW time and all should be well.   NHIR took its time and look at them now.  

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #581 on: Aug 13th, 2009, 9:45pm »

The unique part of this debate is that we collectively maintain the rivalry that has ensued for the past century and a half between the Pennsy & Reading lines. And, most likely, without anyone fully realizing it.

The lines have endured more than verbal barrages over the generations and will continue to do so. Mother nature has never been kind to the rail industry and that fact alone can make any good work disappear after a few rains. Constant attention and dedicated folks need to fight that battle and make things look great again.  Continuously.  And the best part of this equation is that anyone can lend a hand and get involved.  

One of the most profound feelings anyone can experience is in knowing they are just the most recent person in the historical lineage of those who stood there before they did, doing that very job, and without modern tools and equipment.

HIGH_BALLER_69
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #582 on: Aug 14th, 2009, 6:46am »

on Aug 13th, 2009, 10:35am, SR4501 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'd like to make a comment. I have been going to both NHIR and BRW since I was 6 years old. Over time, I watched as the NHIR had steam running and BRW did as well. Then NHIR stopped steam and the equipment looked in despair. BRW on the other hand, had its steam engine running, doodlebug to Lambertville and their stuff was in goos condition. Then the NHIR rebuilt #40, upgraded the track and some of thie equipment and steam was once back again. BRW.. #60 went down, diesels took over, the line got neglected, as did the equipment Lambertville service was disontinued. Now currently, #60 may return back to service (which I praise all the volunteers that did restore her!) but the track needs repair and so does some of the equipment. My point is the 2 RR's seem to go back and forth from good to bad and back again. Give the BRW time and all should be well.   NHIR took its time and look at them now.  

i hope your right.that whole area has changed around the BRW. i just dont think it will get any better until ownership changes hands some how.

trainspot
Railfan

« Reply #583 on: Aug 30th, 2009, 9:00am »

Out for a stretch yesterday, one step closer!
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1729630

"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."
CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #584 on: Aug 30th, 2009, 11:14am »

very nice

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #585 on: Aug 31st, 2009, 9:38pm »

I can almost smell the aroma of coal smoke and hear the compressor thumping. The photographers watching the move had no way of knowing that her boiler was full.

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2009, 9:40pm by PRR4811 » Logged
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #586 on: Aug 31st, 2009, 10:56pm »

on Aug 31st, 2009, 9:38pm, PRR4811 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I can almost smell the aroma of coal smoke and hear the compressor thumping. The photographers watching the move had no way of knowing that her boiler was full.

I'm assuming that means that #60 is closer than we think to returning to service, is that correct?  Is there any kind of timeframe or date for returning?  Any fall foliage/Halloween steam excursions in the works??

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #587 on: Sep 1st, 2009, 4:42pm »

on Aug 30th, 2009, 9:00am, trainspot wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Out for a stretch yesterday, one step closer!
http://trainspot.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1729630

Out for a stretch? Did she move under her own power?

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #588 on: Sep 1st, 2009, 9:43pm »

60 was pulled out by the SW1200 #1202 so the shop guys could complete another task in her reassembly.  Her boiler is full as she can be put under hydro pressure testing to check for any potential leaks in preparation for the final FRA inspection.

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #589 on: Sep 1st, 2009, 10:48pm »

on Sep 1st, 2009, 9:43pm, PRR4811 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
60 was pulled out by the SW1200 #1202 so the shop guys could complete another task in her reassembly.  Her boiler is full as she can be put under hydro pressure testing to check for any potential leaks in preparation for the final FRA inspection.

Not to be an annoying foamer, but I was wondering.  Has any boiler treatment been added to the water that they are filling her boiler with?  I have been there a couple Saturdays now recently for quick visits and each time there has been water in the glass.   Those tubes will start to pit eventually without a propper oxygen scavenger added, whether or not the boiler is under steam.  

I just hope she gets the most running out of the next 12 + years before the next tear down.

« Last Edit: Sep 1st, 2009, 10:50pm by Super_foamer » Logged

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

CR9847
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #590 on: Sep 1st, 2009, 10:58pm »

on Sep 1st, 2009, 9:43pm, PRR4811 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

According to a first person source (yes, someone actually working on the locomotive - not anyone from Strasburg or the NH&I), there is a strong possibility that the FRA could be called as soon as this week for final certification, if all goes well...

EastonRailGuy
Chaser

« Reply #591 on: Sep 5th, 2009, 11:24pm »

Glad to hear all is on track! Congrats to all who have made it possible thus far. I wish you guys the best as you finish up the last of the details.

Oh, and its sure nice to see the negativity subside on this thread a bit...

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #592 on: Sep 9th, 2009, 9:57pm »

Photos of #60 predominately show her in the Garden State. Has anyone ever seen photos of her in transit from NY to CO when she was originally delivered to her first owner, the Great Western?  Likewise, how about photos of her return eastward to NJ when the BR&W purchased her?

« Last Edit: Sep 9th, 2009, 9:59pm by PRR4811 » Logged
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #593 on: Sep 13th, 2009, 9:39pm »

Anymore updates on 60's progress and whether or not it'll be running before the end of the year?

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #594 on: Oct 11th, 2009, 8:06pm »

I have some Very good news

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flemington-NJ/Black-River-Railroad-Historical-Trust/92508157822?v=wall&ref=nf

WH
Former Member
Re: #60 - Test Fired!!!!

« Reply #595 on: Oct 11th, 2009, 8:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 11th, 2009, 8:06pm, Ollie wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have some Very good news

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Flemington-NJ/Black-River-Railroad-Historical-Trust/92508157822?v=wall&ref=nf

Some very good news! She is back!!!!!!

PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #596 on: Oct 11th, 2009, 9:19pm »

What's This?  Could It Be?  Smoke coming from her stack.  I smell coal smoke!!!  For the first time in 9 years, OH YES!

BRWRuckus
Railfan
  2BRW60_10Oct2009.jpg - 47512 Bytes
« Reply #597 on: Oct 12th, 2009, 9:51am »

Saturday, Oct 10, 2009.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/2BRW60_10Oct2009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan
  BRW60_10Oct2009.jpg - 42129 Bytes
« Reply #598 on: Oct 12th, 2009, 9:52am »

Saturday, Oct 10, 2009.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRW60_10Oct2009.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
EastonRailGuy
Chaser

« Reply #599 on: Oct 13th, 2009, 9:43pm »

Hmm- is that an airline I notice connected to the smokebox and fan on the stack? Could that be wood smoke wafting upward? Either someone is playing a nasty trick on a fellow railfan, or Number 60 is showing signs of life!

Let me be the first to congratulate the team for making it to this point! Best of luck with all that follows... As all of us should realize, this is just the beginning of the testing and tweaking that is bound to follow.

Still- I bet she sounds and looks mighty nice under steam!

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »