Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 4:06pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35748 times)
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Re: #60

« Reply #540 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 2:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

True enough. During WWII steamers burned whatever was available. Many a steamer was modified to burn Lignite. And that includes Big Boys.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #541 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 3:43pm »

Curious if anyone's heard of any updates as to 60's progress.  Wondering if it'll return to service this season...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #542 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 3:56pm »

on Jun 8th, 2009, 3:43pm, Cumbres and Toltec fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Curious if anyone's heard of any updates as to 60's progress.  Wondering if it'll return to service this season...

Last I heard she still sits outside waiting for time over a pit, which to me doesn't sound like her future is too bright.  If it is taking this long just to get her over the pit for a minor repair such as a spring pack how is maintenance going to be done on her in a timely fashion when she is returned to service?

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #543 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 5:21pm »

on Jun 8th, 2009, 3:56pm, Super_foamer wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Last I heard she still sits outside waiting for time over a pit, which to me doesn't sound like her future is too bright.  If it is taking this long just to get her over the pit for a minor repair such as a spring pack how is maintenance going to be done on her in a timely fashion when she is returned to service?

You raise a very relevant question / point.  The hold-up here raises doubts about the railroad's commentment to addressing 60 in a timely manner, or its ability / resources to do so.  I would love to see it back it service, but wouldn't make any bets on it happening anytime soon as I would be owing people a lot of money!

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #544 on: Jun 8th, 2009, 9:12pm »

#60 has been inside the A-line building for almost 3 weeks, not outside as previously reported.

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #545 on: Jun 9th, 2009, 4:15pm »

on Jun 8th, 2009, 9:12pm, CR_North_Jersey wrote:       (Click here for original message)
#60 has been inside the A-line building for almost 3 weeks, not outside as previously reported.

That is very good to hear has any other work been done to her besides the remounting of the sand dome?

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #546 on: Jul 25th, 2009, 1:37pm »

Any updates?

WH
Former Member

« Reply #547 on: Jul 25th, 2009, 3:49pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Not really an update but I have a strange feeling that the engine won't be running until next season.  

I may be wrong and I certainly hope I am but it is sad as the thing could be running within a matter of days (according to the last update given to me).

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #548 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 12:51am »

on Jul 25th, 2009, 3:49pm, WH wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not really an update but I have a strange feeling that the engine won't be running until next season.  
 I totally agree with you 100% there.  The engine could be out and running right now, but in typical Black River fashion, the clock continues to tick.  No, I don't think it will be out running this season.  It's the same old uninspiring railroading year after year after year after year...

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #549 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 9:45am »

So let me get this straight.  Your claiming that this engine is all done and could be fired up tomorrow and the Railroad CHOOSES not to do it?

Sounds fishy to me.

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
WH
Former Member

« Reply #550 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 1:08pm »

on Jul 26th, 2009, 9:45am, CR_North_Jersey wrote:       (Click here for original message)
So let me get this straight.  Your claiming that this engine is all done and could be fired up tomorrow and the Railroad CHOOSES not to do it?

Sounds fishy to me.

NO

From what I know, the engine needs very little work done before a fire up. Say the engine is sent to a very capable and well known steam shop such as Strasburg, the engine could be running in a week (maybe two).

I have a feeling we'll be seeing the CNJ 113 steam before the BR 60 does.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #551 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 2:05pm »

on Jul 26th, 2009, 1:08pm, WH wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have a feeling we'll be seeing the CNJ 113 steam before the BR 60 does.

I don't think you'll ever see it under steam unless it is acquired by another railroad that is actually serious about returning it to service.

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #552 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 2:31pm »

This is a shame. It seems to me from public opinion and from my visit to the railroad (rolling stock, tracks, yard is all deteriorating) that the BRWRR cares very little about their tourist service. I could be wrong, I'm just stating my opinion from what I understand about the railroad.

Honestly though, if they aren't benefiting from their tourist service anymore then they should just sell off their passenger cars and steam engine to another road where they have the money and interest in preserving the equipment rather than letting it rust away.

CR9847
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #553 on: Jul 26th, 2009, 11:27pm »

on Jul 26th, 2009, 9:45am, CR_North_Jersey wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Sounds fishy to me.

Well, what in the world would you do There's nothing at all fishy about dumping hundreds of thousands of dollars into something just to NOT run it. It's all part of the plan. There's something fishy about you thinking its fishy....

God, I wish some of these folks would actually engage their brain before they start bellyaching about 60 going to pot (which it obviously is not, but you can't tell them that).

It never ceases to amaze me that certain folks seem to have all the answers all the time. Amazingly enough, for all their apparent railroading prowess, I don't think any of them have spent much time actually:

1.) Trying to understand the situations and challenges that face ANY shortline railroad, especially one that WANTS to run steam.  

2.) Contributing anything to Black River.

3.) Actually getting to understand the nuts and bolts of the business. Yes, folks, believe it or not, BR&W is a BUSINESS and functions as such. Contrary to apparently popular belief, it does not exist for the express purpose of delighting railfan photographers with shiny diesels or steam locomotives.  

These folks would much rather bellyache about this not being done this way or that way, the fact that the engines don't all have matching paint schemes, etc, etc. Because THAT, as we all know, is far more constructive than actually volunteering their time to help try to better the railroad.

And being honest, that bit about "uninspired railroading" is just too much. Why don't you come to BR&W and "inspire" the railroad to greater accomplishments? Oh wait, I guess the incessant complaining (and no action) is supposed to do that. MY BAD!

I'm surprised we haven't heard things like:

1.) "BR&W sucks because they sold all their Alcos, except 60, but OF COURSE that isn't running."

2.) "BR&W railroading is so uninspired, they scrapped CF7 41 instead of 42. They should have kept 41 because they had repainted it and it looked nicer. And of course they got rid of 42 a couple of years after they had FINALLY repainted it. The rear number boards were over the top for a CF7 though!"

3.) "They should have kept 1554 and repainted it into its CNJ scheme."

4.) "They should have kept 14 to be the Ringoes yard switcher."

5.) "#148 was better because it was an oil burner so naturally they would get rid of it."

6.) "211 would have looked SHARP repained into its M&St.L scheme! That's what they should have done, but they're so uninspired!"

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2009, 11:57pm by CR9847 » Logged
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #554 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 8:10am »

I could add to the discussion and answer some of the questions raised, but I'm not very inspired to do so.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
The_Former_Fireman
Railfan

« Reply #555 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 9:52am »

Just curious,

Does the 60 have all it's tubes in?  I ask because once they go in, the 15 year clock starts on the tubes, regardless of whether there's steam or fire.  This is different than the 1472 day count.

It's not meant as a slight or an insult, I'm just curious.  I'd hate to think the thing was burning up tube time just sitting there.

Dave Crosby

« Last Edit: Jul 27th, 2009, 9:53am by The_Former_Fireman » Logged
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #556 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 6:36pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 8:10am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I could add to the discussion and answer some of the questions raised, but I'm not very inspired to do so.

Those of us who actually care about the BR&W and #60 would love to hear your insight and answers to some of the prior points that were actually made.  And we appreciate it!!!

WH
Former Member

« Reply #557 on: Jul 27th, 2009, 7:19pm »

on Jul 27th, 2009, 9:52am, The_Former_Fireman wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just curious,

Does the 60 have all it's tubes in?  I ask because once they go in, the 15 year clock starts on the tubes, regardless of whether there's steam or fire.  This is different than the 1472 day count.

It's not meant as a slight or an insult, I'm just curious.  I'd hate to think the thing was burning up tube time just sitting there.

Dave Crosby

Unless the rules have changed or the BRW worked out some deal with the FRA, the clock is just ticking away.

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #558 on: Jul 28th, 2009, 10:26pm »

I saw 60 this past Saturaday.  It has been quite awhile since I saw the old girl and spoke with people actually working on it.  If I had to place bets, with as little left to do on 60 I say that politics are playing a huge role in her not being steamed up.  There are still a couple little odds and ends to button up before an FRA hydro and steam up but honestly they shouldn't take long, and it seems more like her steam up is being stalled.  

Oh and to BRWRuckus,  I hear there is now a sign up sheet for recording hours worked on 60 towards a spot as a student fireman.   Is this move retroactive, say for those who helped out before this sign in sheet was introduced, or is it simply for what has been recorded?  

Oh well I need to dry off, still wet from a boiler wash.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #559 on: Jul 29th, 2009, 8:26am »

I'm not sure about the hours sheet and what gets/doesn't get counted. However, if you email me your name (and remind me that this is what you're emailing about) I'll be happy to look into it and get some answers.

mshea@brrht.org

on Jul 28th, 2009, 10:26pm, Super_foamer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I saw 60 this past Saturaday.  It has been quite awhile since I saw the old girl and spoke with people actually working on it.  If I had to place bets, with as little left to do on 60 I say that politics are playing a huge role in her not being steamed up.  There are still a couple little odds and ends to button up before an FRA hydro and steam up but honestly they shouldn't take long, and it seems more like her steam up is being stalled.  

Oh and to BRWRuckus,  I hear there is now a sign up sheet for recording hours worked on 60 towards a spot as a student fireman.   Is this move retroactive, say for those who helped out before this sign in sheet was introduced, or is it simply for what has been recorded?  

Oh well I need to dry off, still wet from a boiler wash.

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2009, 8:27am by BRWRuckus » Logged

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »