Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 18th, 2017, 2:04pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35637 times)
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member
Re: #60

« Reply #500 on: Jan 20th, 2009, 3:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

This is probably thet best thing BR&W could do at this point; running the steam engine on select dates will bring more people and railfans to the railroad on a specific day (given there isn't a hurricane or freak-blizzard), making more money needed to run the engine on that particular day. I say running 1-2 weekends a month would be more than sufficient, then run the engine for special trips, such at Easter, Christmas, Fall Foliage, etc.

This is going to be a great year for steam, especially in the east.

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #501 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 8:27am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Between the Special Events and the "select weekend", my uneducated guess would be that #60 would run about half the season.  Which considering that the bulk of the work thats gone on has been done only day a week (saturday), is vital to keep her in good running order.   I also  have no doubt that our guys can keep her running.    

That said, the only drawback I fear is that some volunteers like to come only when there is steam.  I fear some of the people who helped keep this operation alive during the hard times will be denied the "select dates" by older volunteers that we havent seen in a while.   Maybe that didnt belong to be said on this fourm, but I felt it had to be said.

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #502 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 9:23am »

#60 running roughly half of our operating days is a reasonable ballpark estimate.

We're definitely expecting older volunteers to come out of the woodwork to work around #60, and they will be welcome. However, all crew members, new and old, will be held to the same qualifications standards. So many people that haven't been around for several years will need to re-qualify on physical characteristics and get up to date on various safety classes before performing some duties. I'm sure this will displease some people, but it's the only fair and responsible way to approach this.

I'm sure most (or all) of us will prefer to work when #60 is operating, but  we have a very limited base of qualified steam crews to draw on, so operating #60 on every operating day would simply be impossible. The schedule we're working out should help achieve a sustainable balance that will leave everyone satisfied and keep the trains rolling.

I can't wait!!!

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #503 on: Jan 21st, 2009, 9:48am »

on Jan 21st, 2009, 9:23am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
#60 running roughly half of our operating days is a reasonable ballpark estimate.

We're definitely expecting older volunteers to come out of the woodwork to work around #60, and they will be welcome. However, all crew members, new and old, will be held to the same qualifications standards. So many people that haven't been around for several years will need to re-qualify on physical characteristics and get up to date on various safety classes before performing some duties. I'm sure this will displease some people, but it's the only fair and responsible way to approach this.

I'm sure most (or all) of us will prefer to work when #60 is operating, but  we have a very limited base of qualified steam crews to draw on, so operating #60 on every operating day would simply be impossible. The schedule we're working out should help achieve a sustainable balance that will leave everyone satisfied and keep the trains rolling.

I can't wait!!!

Mike you guys did a good job with the schedule last year and I know the "steam schedule" will not fail either.  

I have run some pretty interesting assignments in railroad career so far.  I would love to get on a revenue freight run with #60.

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
bigjim4life
Historian

« Reply #504 on: Feb 7th, 2009, 2:19am »

I imagine #60 will have to do some shake-down/freight runs before going into passenger service.  Any idea when those would be?  One might want to get out and take some photos

readingrail
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #505 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 3:17pm »

Any updates on the old girl? It's been a while since we heard of anything about her on here.

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #506 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 3:40pm »

Yeah, I can imagine it's only a matter of months before she's in service.

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #507 on: Mar 10th, 2009, 11:17pm »

Most important rule with steam railroading.  Don't make a public deadline with something like the restoration of a steam locomotive.  Shop deadlines are great because you can work toward them.  But asking when it will be done isn't going to get you an answer, at least not from somebody in the know.  I was there this past Saturday, and much of the list that was stated earlier by BRWRuckus is still pending before another hydro test, and then of course a steam test.    

BTW  Whenever somebody posts "Any updates?"  or something to the effect I see it as another way of asking "When will it be done?"   and as such a question I personally would usually just ignore.  When 60 is ready, I am sure everybody will be informed here.

« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2009, 11:18pm by Super_foamer » Logged

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #508 on: Mar 28th, 2009, 9:00am »

I know this has been said dozens of times to the point where it's become a repulsive statement but....

...any updates on the engine? I really want to visit the railroad and see her run this year.

NHI_FIREMAN
TRAINing
View Profile  

60march09_002_2.jpg - 111851 Bytes
« Reply #509 on: Mar 28th, 2009, 11:33pm »

Kinda...

Stopped by on my way home from New Hope today.  The sand dome is about to be put back on and then she'll be moved over to the pit "shortly after" (whatever that means) for minor spring repairs.  There are no set dates to opperate yet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/60march09_002_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.newhoperailroad.com
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #510 on: Mar 28th, 2009, 11:43pm »

Ahhh...

She's out in daylight! What a strange sight to see in the 21st century. I could get used to it though, she looks nicer outside than she does cooped up in that shop.  

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #511 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 5:34am »

Not only to second what Joe said... that smokebox looks good! I'm excited for this things' first runs.

Anthony RMLI
Former Member

« Reply #512 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 11:05am »

she sure does look good!

I hope to see her when I am there in Auguest. I can't wait

Anthony

Man with no Name
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #513 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 3:26pm »

She's a real beauty. I'll definitely try to be there for her maiden voyage if anyone else would be interested in meeting there.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #514 on: Mar 29th, 2009, 8:53pm »

I hope she's ready to run in time for National Train Day (May 9th)!

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #515 on: Mar 30th, 2009, 4:19pm »

Just for the record,....This year will be the 2nd Train Day which was started by Amtrak last year. May 10th is when the official train day is supposed to be. Since May 10th is Mothers Day this year, The BR&W has scheduled it for May 9th. As far as 60 is concerned, I believe we will see her on the mixed freight. I dont expect it to be running until the month of June.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #516 on: Mar 30th, 2009, 11:25pm »

on Mar 30th, 2009, 4:19pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I dont expect it to be running until the month of June.

Now there's a big surprise.  

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #517 on: Mar 30th, 2009, 11:27pm »

on Mar 30th, 2009, 4:19pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just for the record,....This year will be the 2nd Train Day which was started by Amtrak last year. May 10th is when the official train day is supposed to be. Since May 10th is Mothers Day this year, The BR&W has scheduled it for May 9th. As far as 60 is concerned, I believe we will see her on the mixed freight. I dont expect it to be running until the month of June.

I don't expect it to be running until it is running.  Never put a time frame on steam restorations

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #518 on: Mar 31st, 2009, 7:38am »

Amtrak has scheduled National Train Day for May 9. Came as a bit of a surprise to me as well since its supposed to be in recognition of the anniversary of completion of the first transcontinental railroad...which is May 10.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
limejuice
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #519 on: Mar 31st, 2009, 9:49am »

on Mar 30th, 2009, 11:25pm, Cumbres and Toltec fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Now there's a big surprise.  

:sigh: Now now, little one. The choo choo will be ready when it is ready, and not a moment sooner. You can play with your Thomas toys while you're waiting, and maybe when you get bigger, you can help fix the choo choo, but only if you're a good boy!

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »