Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 16th, 2017, 3:59pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35742 times)
J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: #60

« Reply #480 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 10:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Oooooh... Shiny... me like...  

Nice to see #60 looking fresh for a change.  

Can't wait to see how she looks on her first steam up!

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #481 on: Dec 15th, 2008, 10:45pm »

Did the 2nd Hydro happen yet?

BR&W volunteer since 1997
BRRHT Treasurer since 2010
CR9847
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #482 on: Dec 16th, 2008, 10:12pm »

on Dec 14th, 2008, 11:59pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)
another photo - original info?

That is the ALCO builder's photo.

Note that  the firebox is shorter than it appears today. A smokebox extension was added by the Great Western so that lignite could be burned.  

Strasburg #90 (another GW locomotive) also had the extension until a few years ago when SRR removed it.

« Last Edit: Dec 17th, 2008, 10:41pm by CR9847 » Logged
robertjohndavis
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #483 on: Dec 16th, 2008, 11:39pm »

on Dec 15th, 2008, 2:02am, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When this returns to service, will it be the second steam locomotive to operate in NJ? The other is the 142 at Phillipsburg. Whippany has both steam locomotives back, the 0-6-0 4039, and the 2-8-0 385. Both ran there for the Morris County Central in the 60's, and now 385 is back home. Both look nice freshly painted, and they might want to restore 4039 to running condition. 385 would take a lot more work to run again, if it could be restored at all. Are those 4 the only standard gauge steam locomotives in NJ? 60, 142, 4039, and 385?

Nope, there is an 0-4-0T in South Jersey and another in Patterson. The 2-6-0 in Patterson is standard gauge, no, or is she a 5 footer? Also, there is the fireless cooker that was with #385.

I'd love to see #60 with her orginal smokebox length. She'd be a beaut.

Rob

Ahead of the Torch
http://www.robertjohndavis.com/

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #484 on: Dec 17th, 2008, 9:01am »

on Dec 14th, 2008, 11:58pm, bigjim4life wrote:       (Click here for original message)
First time poster here - Been lurking for a little bit.  Was at the BR&W with a couple of friends this past weekend for the Santa trains, and we were able to get a peek in the shop at #60 (thanks to her friend who is an engineer there), and I was able to snap a few photos (with their permission) of #60 - enjoy!

Nobody mentioned it, so I will.  The Stack is uncapped in that picture.  I love the dark graphite look.

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #485 on: Dec 18th, 2008, 8:55pm »

Personally I quite like the smokebox extension that #60 has. It makes the locomotive look a bit larger and adds to her character.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #486 on: Dec 19th, 2008, 6:44pm »

Absolutely, 60 just would not be the same without the smoke box enlargement!  

They must have gotten the hydro test worked out, it wouldn’t be done this time of the year.  

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #487 on: Dec 27th, 2008, 4:50pm »

updates?  

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #488 on: Dec 28th, 2008, 3:48pm »

From all acounts, #60 is coming along nicely.  It's not a question of if 60 will run again, but when it will run.  I believe you can expect to see steam on the BR&W in 2009, and the railroad will be "the place to be" for steam enthusiasts.  

Now, if only the BR&W would invest in some needed track improvements between Ringoes & Flemington.  It is bad in some places, and the steamer will take a beating because of it (broken springs, etc.)...

Glad steam will be back in '09 anyhow!  

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #489 on: Dec 28th, 2008, 6:38pm »

Are there any pictures?

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #490 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 10:33am »

It's sounding like they will be replacing the broken spring next week.  To do this they will be moving #60 out of the A-line shed and into the engine house over the weekend.

CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #491 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 11:32am »

on Jan 5th, 2009, 10:33am, CR_North_Jersey wrote:       (Click here for original message)
It's sounding like they will be replacing the broken spring next week.  To do this they will be moving #60 out of the A-line shed and into the engine house over the weekend.

Scratch that.  They will continue to work on #60 in the A-line.  The spring will be addressed last but will move to the engine house at that time.

SR4501
Historian

« Reply #492 on: Jan 5th, 2009, 3:13pm »

on Dec 28th, 2008, 3:48pm, Cumbres and Toltec fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From all acounts, #60 is coming along nicely.  It's not a question of if 60 will run again, but when it will run.  I believe you can expect to see steam on the BR&W in 2009, and the railroad will be "the place to be" for steam enthusiasts.  

Now, if only the BR&W would invest in some needed track improvements between Ringoes & Flemington.  It is bad in some places, and the steamer will take a beating because of it (broken springs, etc.)...

Glad steam will be back in '09 anyhow!  

That will be cool.. I too agree the BRW should upgrade the track between Flemington and Ringoes, and should also rebuild the track to Lambertville.  

http://www.rvcmr.org

"I am the thoroughbred of steam- Born to run- Born to be free- Forgive them Lord, for they know not what they do!"
CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #493 on: Jan 7th, 2009, 1:23pm »

The Railroad will be addressing these issues in the late winter early spring.  4 loaded BDRV ballast cars have arrived from the Quarry in Carpentersville for MOW work

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #494 on: Jan 8th, 2009, 9:00am »

At this point there are no plans for BR&W track rehabilitation specific to #60's return to service. That does not mean there is no maintanance or improvements being scheduled....just that these projects are not related to steam locomotive #60. This is a very common topic on this forum...that the BR&W "should" rebuild the Flemington-Ringoes track for 60, or this or that trackwork must be done for #60. Let me tell you here and now: I would love nothing more than pristine Class 3 track from Three Bridges to Lambertville (well, maybe Class 4!) but that is not going to be reality, except possibly in Microsoft Train Simulator. There is not a compelling business reason for it, and more importantly, there is not money for it. The BR&W continues to commit itself to maintaining its physical plant to the extent necessary to safely operate its freight and BRRHT passenger trains. When upgrades/repairs are needed and money is available, the work gets done. Those of you who frequent the railroad know that while we do not have Union Pacific style maintanance blitzs, projects are done on a regular basis...just within the past couple years we have a couple grade crossing rebuilds (Johanna Farms, Route 12, Everitts Road), a bridge re-decking (just North of Johanna Farms), new rail/ties/grading at Goat Curve, new track in sections of Ringoes Yard, and more. The low speeds that #60 operates at and the somewhat limited use she will see when in service mean that the additional stress on the machine due to the condition of the track is minimal and within reason. This is not a topic that has escaped the people in charge of this locomotive: I assure you it has been discussed repeatedly and at length, and the locomotive would not be operated if there was reason to believe doing so what cause material damage to the locomotive or the BR&W physical plant.

We are currently working out the logistics involved in resuming steam operations....steam crews, coaling/watering support, inspection and maintanance procedures, you name it. I'm looking forward to the return of New Jersey's only operating (standard gauge) American built steam locomotive!

We are getting closer (and actually now discussing) an official date for 60's return. One major departure from past BR&W practice will be the introduction of a "steam schedule". In the past when #60 was in service we generally just ran her all the time. This caused a lot of problems since steam crews are scarce and the locomotive requires regular maintanance which is done by volunteers....on weekends.  So instead of just issuing a blanket statement like "yeah, 60 is in service so just come and see her running on the weekends this year", expect to see a more limited schedule released, where 60 will operate a certain number of days every month and during certain events. That way you're far less likely to show up for steam and leave steamed because it wasn't running! We're taking drastic steps to make sure the time and effort expended during her long abscence is not wasted, and that the locomotive is properly cared for, and also that she gets the maximum reasonable exposure to the public.

I expect 2009 will be a very exciting year for BR&W fans. There are a couple new events in the works, and one or two older events will be getting a facelift. Of course steam is always sure to please.

Check out the Schedules & Fares page at brrht.org. I've posted a tentative schedule for 2009 there...it's incomplete and still subject to revision, but should give you a decent general idea what to expect this year.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
CR_North_Jersey
Chaser

« Reply #495 on: Jan 8th, 2009, 2:02pm »

In light of Mike's post I'd like to clarify my earlier post.  I did not mean and I hope it was not taken that the Railroad was only doing track work becasuse of 60.   The Railroad in the last 3 years has done a good job of upkeep.  With the addition of Freight traffic to/from Ringoes you will see additional track work.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #496 on: Jan 9th, 2009, 8:38am »

on Jan 8th, 2009, 2:02pm, CR_North_Jersey wrote:       (Click here for original message)
In light of Mike's post I'd like to clarify my earlier post.  I did not mean and I hope it was not taken that the Railroad was only doing track work becasuse of 60.   The Railroad in the last 3 years has done a good job of upkeep.  With the addition of Freight traffic to/from Ringoes you will see additional track work.

Once I got up a head of steam on my last post I just kept on going....but just to clarify, I didn't take CR_North_Jersey's post the wrong way. It just that it seems whenever the topic of trackwork comes up for any reason that's the direction it goes in and I wanted to nip it in the bud early. No worries!

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #497 on: Jan 19th, 2009, 3:51pm »

When can we expect to see her up and running again?

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #498 on: Jan 20th, 2009, 9:13am »

We will be releasing expected dates and details on #60's return to service very soon.  

What you can expect is:  

1: Revenue steam-powered BR&W freight sometime this spring prior to #60's return to passenger service. These "shake-down" runs will help clean out the cobwebs, re-familiarize our crews with the locomotive, and expose any adjustments, leaks, etc. that need to be taken care of on the locomotive.

2: #60 in passenger service VERY early in our public operating season, most likely (but not definitely) beginning on a date in May TBA.

Michael Shea
Vice President
www.brrht.org
NHI_FIREMAN
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #499 on: Jan 20th, 2009, 10:08am »

This is great news.  Thanks for posting this Mike.  Hopefully #60 will be properly maintained this time around and not abused like she was in the past.  Though operating her on select dates may not seem exciting it's good the RR will now take time to concentrate on the needed maintenance   to try to prevent another decade-long overhaul.  Should be interesting!

www.newhoperailroad.com
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »