Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 11:54pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35440 times)
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: #60

« Reply #420 on: May 28th, 2008, 1:38pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I thought there was another Steam Engine that was running further north in New Jersey. Phillipsburg?

moresteam

moresteam
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #421 on: May 28th, 2008, 1:52pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

That's the Bel-Del. While the tracks my be owned by the BR&W... the Bel-Del is a much different operation. It really has nothing to do with the passenger trains operating out of Ringoes.

I think Phillipsburg is a little too far north of New Hope to be considered "In the area."

- Adam

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #422 on: May 29th, 2008, 12:09pm »

Sucess of the operation really has nothing to do with motive power...its has to do with advertising.

I will give a few examples....

EBT Runs Steam...the ONLY steam within MILES of human civilization...their operations suffer badly when they fail to advertise....when they DO, often by way of FEBT funds,  they prosper...steam doesn't automatically put butts in the seats. Those butts gotta know you exist.

W&W- Runs Both...but let me tell you from first hand experience...All pre floods of course, I have seen them do well with NO steam AT ALL but good advertisement (early 90's) and do very poorly with ALL Steam and limited advertisement.

Adirondack Scenic -  All diesel operation....trains are well patronized a good majority of the time....gee, wonder if they advertise well?

Oil Creek & Titusville - All diesel operation...again, trains are welll patronized.

Cumbres & Totec -  All Steam...they have had crappy years when little money was spent on advertisement.....and they have had record setting years when they do spend money.

Point?

You MUST spend money on advertisement to put BUTTS in those seats. You can run all the steam you want, but it wont work out unless you spend. Good example of a major failure of this: Mt Hood Scenic Railroad.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #423 on: May 29th, 2008, 3:09pm »

With this advertising and the BRW, they should be bragging about being next to the mal1 shopping center, what ever you want to call it. They have great potential for customers right there in Flemington, and if Lambertville is used again something else. I was thinking the location counts, but look at the East Broad Top and see how they do as posted above.

Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #424 on: May 29th, 2008, 4:51pm »

on May 28th, 2008, 1:25am, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The BR&W isn't there to please the railfans. No railroad is out running trains JUST for railfans. They are there to make money. Tourist railroads target tourists or train-riders. Railfans are simply people like us who enjoy train a little more than the average person.

I can go farther then that! Besides your self, how many non-BRRHT members do you think actually ‘Railfan’ the BR&W?  

Wow, have we gotten off topic.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member

« Reply #425 on: May 30th, 2008, 7:33am »

on May 28th, 2008, 1:52pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That's the Bel-Del. While the tracks my be owned by the BR&W... the Bel-Del is a much different operation. It really has nothing to do with the passenger trains operating out of Ringoes.

I think Phillipsburg is a little too far north of New Hope to be considered "In the area."

- Adam

its only about 40 to 45 minutes to pburg from new hope,less then that if you have a heavy foot.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #426 on: May 30th, 2008, 9:53am »

Sounds like work is again progressing on #60 and it is reasonable to expect it to return to service sometime this year.  I'm hoping it will be out and running come August (fall at the latest).  One can hope, can't he?

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #427 on: Jun 8th, 2008, 7:59pm »

two Big updates, I purchased a New camera, and 60 is in the process of hydro testing. There was water in the tender for the first time in eight years within the last week. Some water still remains in the boiler.
Enjoy everyone.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #428 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 4:08pm »

How did the test go?

Anthony

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #429 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 5:17pm »

Is it just me or do the pictures indicate that 60 failed?

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #430 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 6:33pm »

I hate to say it but that seems to be what it looks like Colin. I think your right about when she will run

Anthony

maps53
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #431 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 7:05pm »

Sorry this is  off topic, but I want to know.  Anthony. What engine is that on your avatar? When did you take the picture? It looks like 142?

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #432 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 8:20pm »

on Jun 10th, 2008, 7:05pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sorry this is  off topic, but I want to know.  Anthony. What engine is that on your avatar? When did you take the picture? It looks like 142?

Hi Maps,

Yep, that is the 142. I think it was taken sometime in 2006. I got it from Colin so I'm not sure. I'll be visiting in 2 weeks so I'll try and get my own.

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #433 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 9:58pm »

I think she passed. im not sure though. Just keep your eyes peeled.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #434 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 11:11pm »

on Jun 10th, 2008, 9:58pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I think she passed. im not sure though. Just keep your eyes peeled.

I'm not sure if a half-full water glass and water in the smokebox indicates she passed.  I sure hope my eyes are playing tricks on me with the water glass and the water in the smokebox is from the cylinders.

« Last Edit: Jun 10th, 2008, 11:15pm by wm734_fan » Logged
565fan
Historian

« Reply #435 on: Jun 10th, 2008, 11:44pm »

on Jun 8th, 2008, 7:59pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
two Big updates, I purchased a New camera, and 60 is in the process of hydro testing. There was water in the tender for the first time in eight years within the last week. Some water still remains in the boiler.
Enjoy everyone.

A.     Congratulations on your new camera
B.     Thank you for the photo updates.  I like the "Do Not Operate" tag in the first one.
C.     Since the gauges don't have a reading, I will guess that they are not photos of the test, but the preparation for it.  Was this an internal, mechanics only hydro or an FRA hydro?  The Railroad probably wouldn't send for an inspector unless they knew what might need repair first... and repair it before he shows.  
D.     Do you need water in the tender for this test?  Since the tender isn't a pressure vessel, you can't really pressurize it. Was there perhaps a test on the injector, to see how well it gets water in the boiler from the tender?  Was there any low fire or heater in the firebox to raise the temperature of the water to around room temperature?  This makes the hydro results a bit more realistic.  Very cold water will create problems, instead of point out weak spots.

I'm just asking to clarify a bit from what you describe, and what the pictures convey.  Thanks again.

www.project3713.com

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #436 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 6:03am »

all I know is that they completed some part of the testing, and they had water in the tender beforehand. some person who was there could tell more.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #437 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 10:07am »

There is no need for alarm.  60 did not fail.  They have not yet done the hydro on her.  I was told a leak was discovered in the throttle, and I believe that can be easily repaired.  They want to fix that and perhaps a couple of other things before the hydro test.  We've all been patient for this long (8 years); a little bit longer won't harm anyone and will be well worth it, IMO.  

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #438 on: Jun 11th, 2008, 2:55pm »

LOL! And man was I  worried after seeing water in the smokebox! what a relief!

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Andy_S
Historian
View Profile  

BRW_60_June_1981.jpg - 201050 Bytes
« Reply #439 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 9:44pm »

#60 back under steam!

Yeah, way back.  1981, I think.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (201050 bytes, 2338x1700 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BRW_60_June_1981.jpg - 201050 Bytes

Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »