Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 29th, 2017, 12:02am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35448 times)
NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member
Re: #60

« Reply #400 on: May 21st, 2008, 10:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

love that whistle.wish we had something like it at new hope.

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #401 on: May 21st, 2008, 10:36am »

on May 21st, 2008, 10:09am, NH-CLINKER FIGHTER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
love that whistle.wish we had something like it at new hope.

You guys do. It's the Crosby.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #402 on: May 21st, 2008, 8:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

OK, I'll risk getting slammed here...  
Would #60 stand a better chance of seeing service again with another owner? Perhaps the NH&I or the Essex in Connecticut. OK, slam away.

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #403 on: May 21st, 2008, 8:54pm »

maybe for repairs, Just as long as BRW still owns it.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #404 on: May 22nd, 2008, 8:24am »

on May 21st, 2008, 8:45pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would #60 stand a better chance of seeing service again with another owner? Perhaps the NH&I or the Essex in Connecticut. OK, slam away.

IMO.........definitely.

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member

« Reply #405 on: May 22nd, 2008, 9:01am »

I am sure if kean wanted to sell it, new hope would definately look into it.But they already got their hands full with work right now,and who knows if he did want to sell it.How much would he expect to get for it?The engine does need a considerable amount of work still.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #406 on: May 22nd, 2008, 1:22pm »

on May 22nd, 2008, 9:01am, NH-CLINKER FIGHTER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The engine does need a considerable amount of work still.

It doesn't need all that much work, and it's in considerably decent shape.  Last I heard the boiler is in excellent condition, almost like new.  That's why I'm gung-ho about seeing it under steam in the future.  It's been what seems like forever since that last happened.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #407 on: May 22nd, 2008, 1:31pm »

I'm sure New Hope could bang out the remaing work allot faster then the BRW is. So It would not be a bad invsesment for them really, not that it will ever happen

Anthony

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #408 on: May 22nd, 2008, 3:45pm »

Maybe Strasburg could buy it and then would could have a "Great Western" photo special!

Well... at least it'd run.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #409 on: May 23rd, 2008, 8:20am »

on May 22nd, 2008, 3:45pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Maybe Strasburg could buy it and then would could have a "Great Western" photo special!

That would actually be pretty cool.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #410 on: May 23rd, 2008, 7:56pm »

This topic has been getting weird.
on May 21st, 2008, 8:45pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I don't want to slam you but there are a few things that need to be said.  
To take your question literally, no I do not think 60 stands a better chance of running else where because 60 already stands a good chance of running again where she is. Besides, who would buy her to run her? NH&I or Strasburg? 1533 and 972 would beg to differ. And what if she was bought by New Hope then we would have one steam RR with steam and one with diesel, instead of one RR with a steam engine and one with a steam engine under restoration. From a fans perspective I would rather have 60 stay where she is.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #411 on: May 23rd, 2008, 8:03pm »

also, 60 would probably be used more if she stayed at BRW, whcih is better. If she goes to NHI she has to share the spotlight with 40 and SRR 90, 475, 89, and 31, she would only run half the time at the other RRs. But interesting to think about.

Anthony

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #412 on: May 23rd, 2008, 9:43pm »

Thanks for the responses, fellas. Wherever she is, I hope to see her running before I'm in a wheelchair and eating my tapioca thru a straw.  

Have a happy and safe holiday weekend.
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #413 on: May 23rd, 2008, 10:15pm »

I will try to keep you guys updated, as to what is going on with 60. I will be there on sunday and possibly monday, so I will try my best.

Have a great memorial day!

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #414 on: May 23rd, 2008, 11:44pm »

on May 23rd, 2008, 7:56pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This topic has been getting weird.

Weird? Since when is a suggestion or thought (a good one at that) weird?

on May 23rd, 2008, 7:56pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
To take your question literally, no I do not think 60 stands a better chance of running else where because 60 already stands a good chance of running again where she is.

Really? Hmm... that's why nothing is happening. Actions speak louder than words.

Besides, who would buy her to run her? NH&I or Strasburg? 1533 and 972 would beg to differ.

I'm sure they would be devastated. Considering 60 doesn't need much more work... versus 1533 or 972 that need to be rebuilt from the ground up, if another railroad got 60... that'd be quite a deal for them.

And what if she was bought by New Hope then we would have one steam RR with steam and one with diesel, instead of one RR with a steam engine and one with a steam engine under restoration.

That doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of railroads that only run diesel and they do just fine.

I personally think 60 would be better off somewhere else than where she is. The potential is there... but it doesn't seem to be realized anymore. I think the RR would do just fine as an all-diesel operation. †Come on; let's be realistic here. Until there are real, noticable results, the railfan community as well as the public, will take more notice to the operations of the BR&W. Until then... the diesel-powered, 2-3 car trains may be the norm.

- Adam

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2008, 11:47pm by adam17 » Logged
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #415 on: May 27th, 2008, 5:47pm »

Iíve gone this long without responding, I guess I donít have to but here I go...  
on May 23rd, 2008, 11:44pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Really? Hmm... that's why nothing is happening. Actions speak louder than words.

You want to talk about what is happening? A steam locomotive is being restored, and rolling flues does not mean a cosmetic restoration. Just because they were not working on the engine the last time you were there, and you wanted a tour of the locomotive does not mean nothing is happening. The dedicated volunteers deserve more credit then that.  

on May 23rd, 2008, 11:44pm, Penn Rail Videos wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That doesn't mean anything. There are plenty of railroads that only run diesel and they do just fine.

All I was saying is that, from a fanís perspective (your perspective), I would like to see both the BR&W and NH&I have running steam locomotives and that wonít happen if 60 left.  

I think the RR would do just fine as an all-diesel operation.

For many years now the passenger trains have been run by diesels. Has it been successful?  

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
3254Fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #416 on: May 27th, 2008, 10:29pm »

For many years now the passenger trains have been run by diesels. Has it been successful? †

From many perspectives, railroads that currently run diesel instead of steam are just as successful or even more successful than previously. Take the WK&S for example. They stopped running steam on saturdays in August since they weren't busy and now with diesel, they're doing even better than they were with steam. Operations like the BR&W would have seen decreased ridership over time like all other tourist railroads, regardless of whether or not they were still running steam. When the railroad brings 60 back under steam nothing guarantees the railroad will do better. Without advertising, no one but the railfan community will know that steam is back. Plus the average family or tourist doesn't always care what pulls their train. They're just out to take a ride down the tracks.

Moderates: East Broad Top
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #417 on: May 28th, 2008, 1:25am »

on May 27th, 2008, 5:47pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
All I was saying is that, from a fanís perspective (your perspective)

The BR&W isn't there to please the railfans. No railroad is out running trains JUST for railfans. They are there to make money. Tourist railroads target tourists or train-riders. Railfans are simply people like us who enjoy train a little more than the average person.

From MY perspective, and BEING a railfan, I think the BR&W would be just fine running diesels. There's diesel-photos on the website, brochures, and other ads I have seen. The railroad also runs into a strip mall. I'm sure when 'Little Billy' hears the train horn, he's gonna wanna ride the choo-choo. He doesn't care if there's a steam there or not... he's having fun. That's all that matters.

Steam doesn't always make the difference.

on May 27th, 2008, 5:47pm, S.G.P. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would like to see both the BR&W and NH&I have running steam locomotives and that wonít happen if 60 left.

NH&I has been the only one of the two with an operating steamer for what.. almost 2 decades now. It wouldn't make a difference anymore if 60 was there or not. NH&I is still running steam either way.

One can't always look at things from a fan's perspecitve. If they did that in a baseball game, there would be chaos.

- Adam

« Last Edit: May 28th, 2008, 12:59pm by adam17 » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #418 on: May 28th, 2008, 9:28am »

NH&I's #40 has been in "continuous" operations now for 17 years...1991 was her debute under new ownership of the Railroad.

Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #419 on: May 28th, 2008, 1:01pm »

on May 28th, 2008, 9:28am, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
NH&I's #40 has been in "continuous" operations now for 17 years...1991 was her debute under new ownership of the Railroad.

I'm saying that out of the two railroads, #60 stopped operating in 2000, right? So... NH&I has been the only RR in the area with steam for 8 years now.

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »