Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 8:23pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35585 times)
WMSR_734
Former Member
Re: #60

« Reply #40 on: Nov 17th, 2005, 3:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Nov 17th, 2005, 10:44am, TOMSTV wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We're all pulling for the return of the "60",keep up the good work!
Thanks.

Thanks for posting that! That pic really takes me back...now I'm really startin' to miss the 'ol girl...

-Colin

Rocket
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 5:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What happened to her?

WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #42 on: Nov 21st, 2005, 5:30pm »

Well, to make a REALLY long story short, a bunch of problems came in all at once. Something about her firebox was a problem (I think the layer was too thin in some areas) and her 5 year inspection was due. Another issue was that the track was in really bad shape and couldn't support 60 as it could the diesels. I'm not sure about the rest, but I know there was a lot more things that all just happend at once. She hasn't been running since October 2000.

-Colin

adam17
Former Member

« Reply #43 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 12:07am »

Why can't they repair the track? I bet WK&S has better track than BR&W! Anyway, is there anyway we can help fund to get #60 back out on the high iron? We need more Steam!!!

WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #44 on: Nov 24th, 2005, 12:42am »

on Nov 24th, 2005, 12:07am, adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Why can't they repair the track? I bet WK&S has better track than BR&W! Anyway, is there anyway we can help fund to get #60 back out on the high iron? We need more Steam!!!

Well, it's not that easy and it takes something called money. Replacing track can get very expensive, let alone restoring the steam locomotive.

adam17
Former Member

« Reply #45 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 12:56pm »

I'm am pretty sure the WK&S has less money than BR&W. WK&S only runs on weekends, while the BR&W runs every day of the week.

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Nov 25th, 2005, 10:48pm »

I can't tell you how much I want #60 to be back in action.

I anticipate her return to the rails as if it were a christmas present.  

I really want her running again.  

Time will tell...

Joe...

adam17
Former Member

« Reply #47 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 1:50pm »

I must agree with you Joe. Get #60 back out on the high iron!!

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Nov 26th, 2005, 4:47pm »

Everyone  whants that........especially me!

I was in Flemington yesterday.
No steam, and no pics.  But there was a pickup truck with train weels beyoned the station. [probably inspecting track] If   the track is one of the resons #60 is not runing,  well...

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2005, 4:50pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Andrew_Blaszczyk
TRAINing

« Reply #49 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 1:48pm »

Well hopefully #60 is in better shape in the shop than this photo depicts...
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=147061
The above photo is symbolic of who took over after #60 went down. I can't wait til she's back but hopefully its before this photo (below) disappears!..
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=135340

« Last Edit: Jun 11th, 2006, 1:48pm by Andrew_Blaszczyk » Logged
WMSR_734
Former Member

« Reply #50 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 2:46pm »

That first picture has got to be the saddest image I have ever seen of the BR&W NOT running steam. It's as if the face of the giant is dead, with the damn diesel taking over. That face has seen so much, now, it's rusting away in a yard owned by people who just don't seem to care too much. That's what I see when I look at that picture.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Jun 11th, 2006, 5:43pm »

At a first look at that first Pic I see what has I see the way things are Steam Locomotives pull trains, go through over haul, pull trains, go through over haul. But a closer look at this picture shows my favote non-steam  doing 60's work while she can not and her Number plate traped in the middle of a currently all  Diesel  railroad: Waiting for life to begien again with only the help of mere one day a week volenters to make it happen.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #52 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 9:18am »

Well, I thought I had posted it somewhere but now thinking I was trying to post some photos also and it would not let me.  I moved to Phoenix AZ in June of 2004 and went back home for a week in April.  It was my daughters first B-Day, so my grandparents, mom, wife, my little one and myself went to New Hope and rode the train up there for the Easter special and then shot over to BBWR.  My grandfather used to take me up there when I was little and we would ride #60 to Flemington and back and then take the trip from Ringoes to Lambertville.  It was fun that day even though #60 was not running, and the Lambertville line is down, it was fun to have 3 generations riding the trains.  I talked to the young man at the ticket station in Flemington and he stated, "They are planning to have 60 back up by summer of 2006."  "They are working really hard to have her up and ready for the summer."    

Boy I sure hope so.  I will definitely take time off and fly back out there and ride her again with my little one.  She did not mind the train ride in N.H. and she seems to like the trains out here, BNSF & UP freight only, when I pull over and watch as they go by.  I miss #60 a lot.  So many child hood memories of her.  I just wish my grandparents can find some photos of us riding the train.  It would be the 1980's era.  A lot diffrent back then from what it is today.  One thing I will say is that, "You do not realize how much you miss something until it is gone!"  

Kevin

IronTie
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 3:33pm »

on Jun 11th, 2006, 1:48pm, Andrew_Blaszczyk wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The above photo is symbolic of who took over after #60 went down.

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

Andrew_Blaszczyk
TRAINing

« Reply #54 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 3:52pm »

on Jun 12th, 2006, 3:33pm, IronTie wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Can you elaborate on what you mean by that?

Meaning the GP9 in the background looks ready to run as #60 'face' sits rusting away in the foreground. I meant that BRW 752 took over operations from #60 in a nutshell.

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 7:49pm »

on Nov 25th, 2005, 12:56pm, adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm am pretty sure the WK&S has less money than BR&W. WK&S only runs on weekends, while the BR&W runs every day of the week.

The WK&S is a volunteer operation, and does not need to pay its employees like the BR&W, allowing for more money to be dumped back into the railroad.

« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:06pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
MH765
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:00pm »

on Jun 11th, 2006, 1:48pm, Andrew_Blaszczyk wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I think that this photo is a cool yet historic one, seeing as if it was almost the late 1950s. Steam was being phased out of America's railroads and the diesels took on the heavy burden left behind by steam. 752 is one of my personal favorites on the BR&W, with 1853 a close second.

I know I'm talking about diesels in a steam thread, don't go rantin' on me.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
Anthony_Ribera
Historian
  DCP_0836.jpg - 62739 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Jun 17th, 2006, 3:31pm »

Here is #60. Looks like things are progressing. Its a long process to totally restore a old Steamer!!  Hey, when was the last time 60's wheels got new tires put on?  I can never remember seeing 60 with her wheels out from under her.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DCP_0836.jpg
Click Image to Resize

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #58 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 2:48pm »

The above photo is symbolic of who took over after #60 went down. I can't wait til she's back but hopefully its before this photo (below) disappears!..
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=135340

Great pictures of 752 just want to say that 60s plate and front has recevied some TLC and is looking great, along with the rest of her.! !!!!!

bluecomet68
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Jun 27th, 2006, 5:17pm »

It sure would be great to see # 60 running again. I grew up near Flemington and saw her a lot as a kid. If memory serves me correctly, the BR&W and #60 were used in a TV commercial for "Sesame Wheat" crackers--probably Nabisco or Keebler. If anyone knows more about that, pass it along.  

Great pictures of 752 just want to say that 60s plate and front has recevied some TLC and is looking great, along with the rest of her.! !!!!! [/quote]

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »