Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 29th, 2017, 12:01am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35447 times)
BRWRuckus
Railfan
Re: #60

« Reply #380 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:11am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Ok then. Who exactly is "management"?

Let's be specific. Let's talk about the actual BR&W management. For all practical purposes that's one person: Kean Burenga. I do not agree with all of Kean's decisions. I do not agree with some of the ways certain things are done on the Black River System. However, I understand the reasons that most of these things are done, and I do respect his decisions for what they are. Kean manages the Black River Railroad System. That includes the BR&W at Ringoes, the Bel-Del at P'burg (including the Easton operation), a locomotive leasing business, real-estate sales/leasing, and more. He's a busy man. Any one person does not have the time to do all of that and then micromanage who is working on which project. It's not realistic. Why doesn't he just hire more people to help him? Because it doesn't make economic sense right now. Kean is running a business: not a museum. That's what the BRRHT is for. The railroad is in business to make money. Nothing more and nothing less. And that's ok. As long as the rr keeps focus on that, and the BRRHT keeps focus on what we do, everything comes out nice in the end.

Kean Burenga IS working in the best interests of the railroad and doing everything possible to ensure its long-term survival and (gasp) prosperity. I don't mean to become his cheerleader here. When I started at the railroad I didn't quite believe this myself, but I've had the opportunity to work with him quite a bit over the past couple of years and I've had a real education.

It's also true that Kean and other individuals who play a decision making role for the railroad were considering discontinuing the regular passenger service a few years ago. Ridership was in the toilet, bills were getting bigger, and it just didn't make sense any more. The BRRHT volunteers reversed this...we have increased ridership dramatically, and now not only is the passenger service here to stay, but the rr is working with us and investing in new special events and services. Case in point is the corn maze being planned. This event is still in the planning stages, and will most likely make it onto the schedule this fall. Just one example; there are many others.

Consider this scenario you propose: Let's say we have an individual, or small group of individuals who are "management" and begin dictating exactly what and where our volunteers are going to do. Now you have a bunch of volunteers who are at the railroad to enjoy themselves doing the sort of work they enjoy doing...but they can't do what they want. They have to do what management tells them. I wonder how long it would take before there were no more volunteers. I don't mean to say that it's best that every single volunteer has the absolute authority to do whatever they want at the railroad...that would be mayhem. But people need a certain amount of freedom in how they participate. That's what distinguishes our work at the railroad from our work that earns a paycheck.

If you have any realistic suggestions for a better way to run things, I suggest bringing them up at the next BRRHT members' meeting. It's this coming Saturday. One of the topics of this meeting will be long-term plans for the BRRHT. The BoD has drafted some 5 and 10 year goals for the organization that will be discussed and most likely modified at the meeting. These goals include improved passenger equipment, new public education programs, and Lambertville passenger service, just to name a few.

My fingers are getting tired....

on Apr 1st, 2008, 5:04pm, Colin Barner wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yeah, you're correct.  That's why there's no interest.  Last time I checked, a railroad wasn't a gym class where the management gives the projects to the volunteers and says "go play".  It should be up to the management what the volunteers do, not up to the volunteers for what the management does.  And when there is nothing for the volunteers to do with no comunication for what needs to be done and when, nobody shows.  The cycle goes on and on.  This is why some things don't get done and why other things get done so slowly.

If you want to be like the Wilmington & Western, you need a management that controls volunteers.  You need organized people who "coach the team", and not have a program be a free for all.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #381 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:15am »

moresteam,

I don't exactly put volunteers in charge of anything, although I do help organize several projects and activities that volunteers may participate in. My actual roles are....Membership Committee Chairman and Director of Marketing & Public Relations. I am one of the five members of the BoD.

The pink building is the engine shop at Ringoes Yard. It has been in horrible need of a paint job for several years and it's finally being done. The pink paint is actually primer. The building was formerly yellow and it's being painted red to match the station. Don't worry, it won't be pink for long.  . In the meantime, most of us are referring to it as the Pepto Bismol Memorial Enginehouse.

on Apr 1st, 2008, 10:02am, moresteam wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mr. Shea,

It seams to me that you are a person of importance at the BR&W RR.
Are you the one who puts the Volunteers in Charge?

Seems to me that some one needs to get everyone organized. I just saw a pic of what appears to be a Pink Building. Pink on a RR?? Who is running the place and letting things like this happen??

morestem

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #382 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:59pm »

Mr. Shea,

Excuse my ignorance. But what is "BoD"?

It's also goo to hear that the Engine House will not be Pink. That had gotten me worried. It is good to see that the volunteers were able to organize themselves enough to start painting the Engine House. Are ther plan for them moving on to other Buildings??

moresteam

moresteam
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #383 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 2:56pm »

on Apr 2nd, 2008, 1:59pm, moresteam wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Mr. Shea,

Excuse my ignorance. But what is "BoD"?

It's also goo to hear that the Engine House will not be Pink. That had gotten me worried. It is good to see that the volunteers were able to organize themselves enough to start painting the Engine House. Are ther plan for them moving on to other Buildings??

moresteam

BoD stands for Board of Directors

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #384 on: Apr 2nd, 2008, 9:50pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

When I said "management", I meant the CEO and/or the Chief Mechanical Officer of the railroad.

Kean is in control of so many rare pieces of equipment (mainly #60).  I know what the stats were.  With internet becoming more and more popular years after #60's last fire was dropped and with the right advertisement, if she ever does get finished, running #60 on a few holidays throughout the year has to attract people.  In the 80's and 90's there was no schedule that stated "STEAM" or "DIESEL"...they just pulled the steamer out whenever.  I know it's not easy and it takes time and money to get the momentum going (I was in the firebox rolling tubes in her, I do have some clue).  If there are select steam dates (such as W&W) things may change.  I'd find it hard to believe if they didn't, for the better.

This being said, Kean could have the best of both worlds: Making money on a short line freight business and reliving history with a steam locomotive that runs several dates throughout the year.

"If only"...

« Last Edit: Apr 3rd, 2008, 7:34am by wm734_fan » Logged
Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #385 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 6:24pm »

Here are two videos I found on YouTube of #60 in operation in the 90's.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4VwddvyfjL4&feature=related

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Sn0Sgb0FmjM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwgPgjRkc8k

What in the world happened??

« Last Edit: Apr 28th, 2008, 11:02pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Penn Rail Videos
Former Member

« Reply #386 on: Apr 16th, 2008, 9:01pm »

on Apr 16th, 2008, 6:24pm, Colin Barner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
What in the world happened??

Politics.
Money.
Mechanical issues.
Lack of interest (by the RR's big-wigs).

That's what.  
- Adam

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #387 on: Apr 17th, 2008, 8:45am »

I'm beginning to wonder if 60 will return to service this year.    Hope things are progressing on it...

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
BRW_Fan
Enthusiast

« Reply #388 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 7:12pm »

Why can't they do the boiler test in the shop

Go Black River & Western!
Go New Hope & Ivyland!!!
Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #389 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 11:03pm »

It needs to be above 70 degrees in order to complete the hydro.  Whenever we figure out that it has been for the past few weeks, it will be done.

NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member

« Reply #390 on: Apr 29th, 2008, 7:44am »

You can always warm the water up in the boiler,then do the squeze on it.
             Mark

Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #391 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 7:17pm »

Would you say #60 should return to service by ?

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #392 on: May 1st, 2008, 10:12am »

on Apr 29th, 2008, 7:44am, NH-CLINKER FIGHTER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You can always warm the water up in the boiler,then do the squeze on it.
                                                               Mark

Could not agree with you more, but tell that to the folks with the thick skulls...

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #393 on: May 1st, 2008, 5:56pm »

While I remain optimistic 'bout 60's return, eventually, things are moving at a super slow snail's pace.  

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #394 on: May 1st, 2008, 7:52pm »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 7:17pm, Redwings361 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Would you say #60 should return to service by ?

By the correct alignment of the planets in order to please the great steam Gods?

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #395 on: May 1st, 2008, 9:16pm »

on May 1st, 2008, 7:52pm, Baldwin_feeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)

By the correct alignment of the planets in order to please the great steam Gods?

When the moon is in the seventh house?  

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #396 on: May 10th, 2008, 12:10pm »

I think we're going to see a new president in the White House before we see 60 running again.    

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #397 on: May 11th, 2008, 8:34am »

If anyone has not seen my 20 minute video of 60 on google, Go check it out.  

heres the link http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8236860424197144325&hl=en

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2008, 8:35am by Black_River_Joe » Logged

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #398 on: May 11th, 2008, 2:58pm »

thanks for posting that Joe. Good to see some more 60 videos

Anthony

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #399 on: May 20th, 2008, 8:30pm »

Enjoy the videos.  It's the closest any of us are going to see of #60 running.

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »