Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 5:00pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35657 times)
Black_River_Joe
Historian
Re: #60

« Reply #360 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 7:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

ok im not making up rumors, but it sounds as if 60 will be on the tracks in or after may of THIS YEAR!!!   but if all goes well, there will be alot of happy people at the BR&W.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #361 on: Mar 9th, 2008, 10:42am »

Ya gotta believe!  

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #362 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 12:31am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Here are a few vids I dug up from 1985 of #60 in regular service.  These were the days when they somehow found a way to have her ready to go every spring.  Also, the Flemington station set-up was MUCH nicer.

Toad Lane
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LenHPy5FfkU

Flemington (Still can't believe how great it was)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0q0mDDrNKLI

On the big bridge
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fV50OM0lRjY

Everitts Road
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qeRvKmTck80

Pulling into Ringoes (When you could actually see the train coming)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Sh2NYa0KY8&feature=related

I apologize for the poor quality.  Hope you enjoy.

-Colin

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #363 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 8:52am »

on Mar 28th, 2008, 12:31am, Colin Barner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here are a few vids I dug up from 1985 of #60 in regular service.  These were the days when they somehow found a way to have her ready to go every spring.  Also, the Flemington station set-up was MUCH nicer.

Toad Lane
http://youtube.com/watch?v=LenHPy5FfkU

Flemington (Still can't believe how great it was)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=0q0mDDrNKLI

On the big bridge
http://youtube.com/watch?v=fV50OM0lRjY

Everitts Road
http://youtube.com/watch?v=qeRvKmTck80

Pulling into Ringoes (When you could actually see the train coming)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=8Sh2NYa0KY8&feature=related

I apologize for the poor quality.  Hope you enjoy.

-Colin

Your videos have better quality than the one i made.
I also like the whistle 60 has back then & when she was pulling 5 cars.  

Maybe one of these days everyone at BRW can watch our movies.  

Hope 60 is ready by RR days.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #364 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 9:27am »

"Hope 60 is ready by RR days."

Don't count on it.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #365 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 1:24pm »

on Mar 28th, 2008, 9:27am, Colin Barner wrote:       (Click here for original message)
"Don't count on it.

I second that.  

Nice videos Colin.  Brings back memories of when I was 10.  I truly miss the Black River of the 1980s (ALCO steam, diesels, a doodlebug, & the Boonton cars).  And now............    

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #366 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 2:28pm »

Yep, you'll be lucky if she's ready by spring of '09, if at all.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #367 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 3:05pm »

Colin, were you down there recently?  I know it's a slow process, but what's making you so pessimistic?    Inquiring minds want to know.    I just don't anticipate it being ready in time for Railroad Days.   I was there a couple of weeks ago and feel cautiously optimistic about it's return in 2008.  In fact, I'm expecting it...

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2008, 3:09pm by Cumbres and Toltec fan » Logged

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #368 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 3:18pm »

Great Videos Colin. Boy have things changes at the BRW. That was a nice look back at the good old days

Anthony

Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #369 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 4:23pm »

I really hope I'm wrong but I just can't see it happening.  I was last down there in Feb. and the super heat elements were not in as of yet.  The whole entire locomotive was soaked (could this be from the hydro??).  If we get our act together, it could happen.  But, since there is no organization for when/what to work on her, things don't turn out as smoothly as planned, because things like putting tubes and flues in the boiler is "good enough" for an entire year's work.

Put it this way- this time last year, she was going to be out by "October".  Yeah, it was MORE than posible, but like I said, since there is no organization and because it is not one of the high priorities at the RR, it never happened.

BTW Jason, what made you feel so positive?  Have they started installing the super heat elements yet?  Just wondering since you were there more recently than I.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2008, 4:35pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #370 on: Mar 28th, 2008, 6:02pm »

after a hydro is done I'm sure you'll see things pick up.  I don't think she will be out by railroad days but I think she'll be out, the power of prayer lol.

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

scan0004.jpg - 36932 Bytes
« Reply #371 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 12:03pm »

I am trying to upload a couple of pictures I have of #60 from July 1986.  I scanned them into the computer - I'm not exactly sure how to do this (keep your fingers crossed)...  This is #60 with 5 ex-Lackawanna coaches.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1010x698, 36932 bytes)

Click Here to View Image scan0004.jpg - 36932 Bytes

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2008, 12:07pm by Cumbres and Toltec fan » Logged

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

scan0005.jpg - 35966 Bytes
« Reply #372 on: Mar 29th, 2008, 12:06pm »

#60 leaving the old Flemington station, July 1986.  I was 11, and my cousin Steve took the picture.  Notice the red number plate...

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (35966 bytes, 1018x631 pixels)

Click Here to View Image scan0005.jpg - 35966 Bytes

farok
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #373 on: Mar 30th, 2008, 10:34pm »

on Mar 28th, 2008, 6:02pm, Baldwin_feeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
after a hydro is done I'm sure you'll see things pick up.  I don't think she will be out by railroad days but I think she'll be out, the power of prayer lol.

I've spoken with several of the 60 crew members, and they cannot hydro the boiler until it's 70 degrees out.  Maybe some of the more knowledgeable steam guys here would know why -- I forgot to ask.  All I know is that it's an unfortunate hold-up.  Likewise, the superheaters won't be installed until after the hydro, I assume to prevent rework should a problem be found and they need to be removed.  Other work is being done, but this is the major holdup as I'm told.  This winter needs to end!  Sadly, I think you may be right that she may not be ready by railroad days, but she will be out!

« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2008, 10:35pm by farok » Logged
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #374 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 2:28pm »

Hi,

I'm new to the site. And I'm interested about 60, the steam engine.

I have read through here that the reason why 60 in not running is because of the lack of organization to fix it. Why does not the Railroad ask someone to organize it. Or if they hire someone to organize it.

If they do that, there is someone who is responsable to get it done.

Don't need to pry, but I am interested.

moresteam

moresteam
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #375 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 3:09pm »

I have the same problem at my museum (Railroad Museum of Long Island) So many things that need to be done but nothing is happening. I guess the best explanation would be no one is stepping up to organize what to do. Now I'm not sure if this is the same at the BRW but it is at RMLI. Like us they need someone with a vision and are organized and know what needs to be done. Now at RMLI I have actually started to do this. I'll give an example. We have a bay window caboose that needs paint so right now I'm getting support to do this (which I have) so I did step one. Next I have to organize things (which I did) and the last step is to do (which I will when it is warmer)  

Our couse things will be different from at RMLI and BRW but that is the same idea

Anthony

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #376 on: Mar 31st, 2008, 4:13pm »

on Mar 30th, 2008, 10:34pm, farok wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I've spoken with several of the 60 crew members, and they cannot hydro the boiler until it's 70 degrees out.  Maybe some of the more knowledgeable steam guys here would know why -- I forgot to ask.  All I know is that it's an unfortunate hold-up.  Likewise, the superheaters won't be installed until after the hydro, I assume to prevent rework should a problem be found and they need to be removed.  Other work is being done, but this is the major holdup as I'm told.  This winter needs to end!  Sadly, I think you may be right that she may not be ready by railroad days, but she will be out!

I can't answer your 70 degree question, I also heard that we were waiting on warmer weather for a hydro, I know that NH&I has hydro tested 40 when it was less than 70 degrees outside.  Perhaps the shop heat was good enough.  The only fear i could see with them was if the temp. was under the freezing mark and they didn't want to worry about leaving water in her boiler. While I don't know why they can't put the squeeze on her and then open the blow down and allow the water to drain when finished it isn't up to me.  

The superheater elements I think I can answer.  If water leaks passed the throttle and gets into the elements and sits there it could make them rust if they aren't going to be firing 60 up soon after her hydro.  Since there is a chance she could sit for a few more months I figure it is best to wait until after the boiler is squeezed to throw 'em in.

Oh and hiring somebody to organize would cost money, and right now the restoration on 60 is being done without a major cost most steam restorations see, and that is labor.  That is also why it is taking so long but in the end she will be under steam soon and that is all that should matter now.  I am hoping some people step up to maintain her as well.  I am not sure how they are going to work it but perhaps somebody could bring that up at the trust meeting next week for me (I'll be across the river working so i can't make it).  Oh and I vote that Paul N. and Brian J. get to be the first crew, and JK gets to be hostler and bring her to the water plug for the first time.

« Last Edit: Mar 31st, 2008, 4:20pm by Super_foamer » Logged

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #377 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 7:31am »

The project is being organized and overseen by one of the volunteers working on it.

For the most part progress has been slow but steady. However, it has stalled at one point or another because of funding, parts availability, and most commonly: personal issues within the volunteer group.

There is an all too common misconception around BR&W that some (or even all) projects that don't get done or take too long end up that way because of a "lack of interest from management". The reality is that "management" at BR&W has placed virtually all of these projects in the hands of the volunteers. Nine out of ten times if a project is not getting done it is simply because of a lack of available man-power. Still, there's the frequent desire to blame slow progress on the elusive "they" who should get things done or "management" who should get things done.

on Mar 31st, 2008, 2:28pm, moresteam wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi,

I'm new to the site. And I'm interested about 60, the steam engine.

I have read through here that the reason why 60 in not running is because of the lack of organization to fix it. Why does not the Railroad ask someone to organize it. Or if they hire someone to organize it.

If they do that, there is someone who is responsable to get it done.

Don't need to pry, but I am interested.

moresteam

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
moresteam
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #378 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 10:02am »

Mr. Shea,

It seams to me that you are a person of importance at the BR&W RR.
Are you the one who puts the Volunteers in Charge?

Seems to me that some one needs to get everyone organized. I just saw a pic of what appears to be a Pink Building. Pink on a RR?? Who is running the place and letting things like this happen??

morestem

moresteam
Colin Barner
Former Member

« Reply #379 on: Apr 1st, 2008, 5:04pm »

on Apr 1st, 2008, 7:31am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The project is being organized and overseen by one of the volunteers working on it.

For the most part progress has been slow but steady. However, it has stalled at one point or another because of funding, parts availability, and most commonly: personal issues within the volunteer group.

There is an all too common misconception around BR&W that some (or even all) projects that don't get done or take too long end up that way because of a "lack of interest from management". The reality is that "management" at BR&W has placed virtually all of these projects in the hands of the volunteers. Nine out of ten times if a project is not getting done it is simply because of a lack of available man-power. Still, there's the frequent desire to blame slow progress on the elusive "they" who should get things done or "management" who should get things done.

Yeah, you're correct.  That's why there's no interest.  Last time I checked, a railroad wasn't a gym class where the management gives the projects to the volunteers and says "go play".  It should be up to the management what the volunteers do, not up to the volunteers for what the management does.  And when there is nothing for the volunteers to do with no comunication for what needs to be done and when, nobody shows.  The cycle goes on and on.  This is why some things don't get done and why other things get done so slowly.

If you want to be like the Wilmington & Western, you need a management that controls volunteers.  You need organized people who "coach the team", and not have a program be a free for all.

« Last Edit: Apr 1st, 2008, 5:10pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »