Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 20th, 2017, 4:57pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35656 times)
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: #60

« Reply #340 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm afraid BRWRuckus has a point.  I saw some pretty lean times (in terms of ridership #s) when 60 was at the head of the train.  I wish it wasn't true.  60 pulling the train is a tremendous source of pride for us volunteers.  And from that standpoint, it is more than worth the work getting it running.  I'm afraid the only thing we can do is have (more) patience.  Note that other railroads like Strasburg and probably the NH&I benefit from running steam because that is what they've built a reputation doing.  Even the mere thought of the Strasburg RR running without steam is unimaginable!  

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #341 on: Jan 26th, 2008, 1:31pm »

One thing that bears repeating is hopefully the BR&W will invest in track work, especially if & when 60 returns to service.  Sending her over track in that condition should be ruled unconstitutional under the 8th Amendment (cruel and unusual punishment)!  It would beat the h*ll out the locomotive every time.

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #342 on: Jan 27th, 2008, 8:21pm »

on Jan 26th, 2008, 1:31pm, GP9_engineer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One thing that bears repeating is hopefully the BR&W will invest in track work.

The BR&W can be very interesting in this way. From what I hear there are a few spots between Flemington and Ringoes that are rated 60 mph and a few new crossings in that area. At the same time there is a section of track in Three-Bridges that is so bad passenger trains are not allowed over it anymore, it may have been fixed already though. The area that needs work the most is the yard and that should be and is top priority.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member

« Reply #343 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 9:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

60mph LMAO   YOUR KIDDING RIGHT

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #344 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 9:57am »

The section of track near Three Bridges that passenger trains are currently prohibited from is called "Goat Curve". It's the curve leading into the straight-away parallel to NS Lehigh Line. This section of track is, to say it lightly, SCARY. It currently consists of ancient stick rail that has seen much better days. That's why it will be receiving new rail and ties this Spring with funds from the BR&W and the NJ DOT. Some more details on the project are available from NJ DOT at http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/freight/rail/pdf/2008staterailplan.pdf .

There are plans in action to rebuild the worst of the turnouts in Ringoes yard prior to opening day in May. As far as track project priorities go, the Ringoes yard and Goat Curve are currently the top priorities.

It is true that there are a few short sections of mainline that could be rated at higher speed between Ringoes and Flemington. These are generally located on the approaches to recently rebuilt bridges and grade crossings.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #345 on: Jan 28th, 2008, 9:30pm »

on Jan 28th, 2008, 9:57am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The section of track near Three Bridges that passenger trains are currently prohibited from is called "Goat Curve". It's the curve leading into the straight-away parallel to NS Lehigh Line. This section of track is, to say it lightly, SCARY. It currently consists of ancient stick rail that has seen much better days. That's why it will be receiving new rail and ties this Spring with funds from the BR&W and the NJ DOT. Some more details on the project are available from NJ DOT at http://www.state.nj.us/transportation/freight/rail/pdf/2008staterailplan.pdf .

Will the railroad be able to run passenger trains on the Central branch once "Goat Curve" is repaired?  Glad the Ringoes yard will be receiving much needed attention......

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #346 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 7:42am »

Yes, we will. There are no specific plans right now. Railroad Days is always a possibility for "special" excursions like that but the schedule for that event has not been completed yet.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #347 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 10:16am »

Ok.  Will Railroad Days be held in June like it has been in previous years?

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #348 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 10:48am »

Since 60 is so close to being steamable again it would be nice to hold railroad days when she is completed and if not at least some sort of celebration weekend for her return.

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #349 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 12:34pm »

I second that.  

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #350 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 3:49pm »

I plan on making my next trip to the BRW when 60 is running so that would be nice

Anthony

Redwings361
Chaser
  BRW/05trv520.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #351 on: Jan 29th, 2008, 4:02pm »

I'd be glad to either film or edit (or do both) the tape of the event once you have idea of when it whould be held !

\/ Here's a pic of what my video camera looks like \/

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2008, 4:11pm by Redwings361 » Logged

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #352 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 8:14am »

I had a dream last night that I was at the BR&W and 60 was running again, and she looked better than ever.  So for me, 60 returning to service will literally be a dream come true!  
JF  

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #353 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 3:21pm »

You know...I had a similar dream about the BR&W last night. Basically 60 was running and the BRW had sold most of their scrap equiptment like the GP-9 amtrak 782 along with the NJ transit F unit, to restore the line to lambertville. Also the tracks from ringoes to three bridges was all rated at 40 mph and the BRW was beginning to look great.  

I too dream that 60 will be rolling some day.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
PRR4811
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #354 on: Jan 30th, 2008, 10:24pm »

From what I have heard, as soon as the weather permits, 60 will have her hydro test.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #355 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 6:21am »

Now after the hydro test is complete, what is left for 60?

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #356 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 11:34am »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 6:21am, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

If she has any leaks found during hydro repair 'em and if she passes the test with out any leaks then...

Finish installing the superheater elements which may or may not be done already. Build and install a brick arch, throw on insulation and the boiler jacketing (could wait until after first steam up).    Re-install the dynamo, set the safeties, check over everything before a test run, such as the springs, bearings and so forth.  Load tender with coal and water, hopefully the tank won't leak.  I'm not sure if they are going to do anything with the tricocks or not I know I had heard they might be replacing them but it isn't a must.  I'm late for next class here at school and that is all I can think of right now.  Smarter people chime in and fill in everything I missed!

~Casey

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #357 on: Jan 31st, 2008, 3:54pm »

on Jan 31st, 2008, 11:34am, Baldwin_feeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Smarter people chime in and fill in everything I missed!

Smarter people than you??  I don't think that's possible!  
Just messin' w/ you a little......    

NH-CLINKER FIGHTER
Former Member

« Reply #358 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 9:03am »

Finish it up and put it up for sale I am sure New Hope could put her to good use.
        Mark

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #359 on: Feb 1st, 2008, 10:57am »

Sure......then it can foam all the time when it runs while the engine crew battles the clinkers!  

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »