Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 28th, 2017, 8:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35597 times)
Anthony_SRR
Former Member
Re: #60

« Reply #300 on: Jul 22nd, 2007, 11:32am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

No, 60 is really good the way she is, no need to do that

Anthony

PennRailVideos
Former Member
  IMGP8557.jpg - 163877 Bytes
« Reply #301 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:07am »

I finally saw 60 this past Saturday.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/IMGP8557.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PennRailVideos
Former Member
  IMGP8559.jpg - 148610 Bytes
« Reply #302 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:11am »

Inside the cab, we get a look into the firebox, and see the flues and superheater tubes. They're finally in, now when are we gonna put a fire in this belly?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/IMGP8559.jpg
Click Image to Resize

PennRailVideos
Former Member
  IMGP8560.jpg - 133469 Bytes
« Reply #303 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:13am »

Finally, a builder's photo.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/IMGP8560.jpg
Click Image to Resize

trainspot
Railfan

« Reply #304 on: Aug 14th, 2007, 5:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Quote:
Yep BR&W #60 was the last steamer to operate on the LIRR. Hard to belive but true. 60 was moved on a barge over the Hudson River. I have never seen a photo of 60 in New York, I would be really cool though to see 60 crossing the Hellsgate bridge!  

On a related note can someone tell me why it says LIRR #35 was leased to the BRW?

More on that, from the Steam 35 website:
"During its time in the park it was kept painted and cared for by members of the Long Island Sunrise Trail (L.I.S.T.) chapter of the National Railway Historical Society.  In the mid '70s, it was pulled from the park to be restored to operation by the tourist hauling Black River & Western railway in New Jersey.  This plan fell through and 35 sat at the end of an unused siding in Garden City.  "

http://www.lirr35.org/hist.htm

60 ran from Jamaica to Sag Harbor, near Montauk. I've seen photos sent friom LI friends, but not sure if I can pass any along. The LIST also sent a heavyweight parlor car (ex-NYC) as a "down payment", if I remember correctly, its now at New Hope in front of #9.

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2007, 5:24pm by trainspot » Logged

"As veteran B&LE engineer 'Tex' McCann observed, if Pennsylvania had a drawbar on it, a Bessemer 400 (DRS6-6-1500) would surely try to 'shake and wiggle' it."
Ollie
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #305 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 4:28pm »

Any updates  .

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #306 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 6:34pm »

colin or someone might have to confirm this, but at the end of this month or next month 60 will be moved into the engine house and be finished for mainline service.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #307 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 8:02pm »

on Sep 15th, 2007, 7:17pm, St. Elizabeths Hospital #4 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have been told she will be out in the spring.

That's Great NEWS

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #308 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 11:27am »

on Sep 15th, 2007, 6:34pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
colin or someone might have to confirm this, but at the end of this month or next month 60 will be moved into the engine house and be finished for mainline service.

I guess I will buy that, last time I was there the grates and such were being placed in the fire box. There is not much left to do really. I don't know where St. Elizabeths Hospital #4 heard that she would be out by spring but frankly there is a chance she will be trying to steam before that. Only time will tell.

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #309 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 2:50pm »

That is great news, but I would not rush things to much. I say by Spring 08' but who knows. Lets not start saying false info as well guys.

Anthony

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #310 on: Sep 16th, 2007, 6:39pm »

She will be done when you see steam on the pressure gauge and water in the glass until that time don't make any guesses to when she will steam, at least not on an open forum, who is to say what may happen between now and then.

~Casey

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #311 on: Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:34pm »

on Aug 13th, 2007, 9:11am, PennRailVideos wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Inside the cab, we get a look into the firebox, and see the flues and superheater tubes. They're finally in, now when are we gonna put a fire in this belly?

The superheater tubes are not in yet, only the tubes and flues are.  There is presently one superheater tube in 60 right now (I'm not sure if it was a model or an actual tube).  I'm also not sure if they started with the two arch tubes in the firebox yet, if not that should be completed very soon.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 11:37pm by wm734_fan » Logged
IronTie
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #312 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 4:50pm »

Are the running gear repairs completed?  I remember hearing something from someone in the know a while back that the plan was to finish the necessary repairs on the running gear before rolling in the tubes, because FRA flue time starts running when the first tube is rolled.   Is that right?

Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #313 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 5:07pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 4:50pm, IronTie wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Are the running gear repairs completed?  I remember hearing something from someone in the know a while back that the plan was to finish the necessary repairs on the running gear before rolling in the tubes, because FRA flue time starts running when the first tube is rolled.   Is that right?

Not sure when the flue time starts especially since as I understand the new time has a lot to do with the time in service of the locomotive now, rather than just the time the flues are in like before.  But I know there was running gear work done to 60 and I know that most of the tubes and flues if not all of them have been rolled.  I know I rolled a few of them myself.

~Casey

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

Anthony_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #314 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 6:50pm »

The website has been updated and here is the latest

2-8-0 Steam Locomotive #60 - Last Updated October 27, 2007  

American Locomotive Company 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive #60 was purchased by the Black River & Western Railroad in 1964. #60 was built in August 1937 and is formerly from the Great Western Railway. It is currently out-of-service at Ringoes undergoing class repairs and federal inspections. #60 has been out of service since late 2000 for its form 4 boiler inspection required by the FRA. Our volunteers have made significant progress in this work, and we are looking forward to seeing #60 return to service soon!  

The water tank on the tender car has been repaired by Paul Nicholson and Brian Jepson whom welded new baffles and patches to strengthen the thin spots and covered any holes. An epoxy sealant was applied to the bottom of the tank to prevent further rusting and to seal any small leaks.  

The main drive pistons have been repaired and installed. To improve the operational efficiency, the ring grooves and shaft were remachined. New rings were installed to match the new grooves to prevent any blow by. John Konn has re-assembled the valves that control the steam to the main pistons and installed new rings on those valves. The air compressor has been completely rebuilt, tested with shop air and is ready to go. Brian Jepson has completed the installation of the brake stand and plumbing and testing shows that the brake system is functioning well. The current project is the installation of all the 2 inch boiler tubes which is near complete and of the 5.5 inch flues which should start shortly. There is hope that #60 will be ready for hydrostatic testing later this year.  

The website has alos been eddited with new pictures on some of the pages

Anthony

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #315 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 7:22am »

#60's next project is the hydro test, according to a very good source.  The arch tubes in the firebox are now installed.  After the hydro is the rest of the super heater tubes.  I am not sure when the hydro test will take place, but I hope it's soon.

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2007, 7:24am by wm734_fan » Logged
rwk
Historian

« Reply #316 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 2:04am »

Still no word on whether #60 will power trains this season? #142 at Phillipsburg is NJ's only operating steam. Pburg is closer to me, anyway since I'm from Allentown, PA and the Bel-Del train ride is great. I rode the BRW train a few years ago from Flemington to Ringoes it had the red diesel. Is Bel-Del from Pburg to Milford owned by BRW? The train ride tickets are BRW. I hope they can get the train to Riegelsville soon, and Milford.

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #317 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 9:33am »

#60 had a LOW air pressure test of her boiler recently as part of preparations for the hydro test which is coming soon. Work on the project was on hold for the about a month leading up to Christmas but has now resumed.

The Belvidere & Delaware River Railway is part of the Black River Railroad System. Actually, the reporting marks on virtually all "Black River" equipment are now "BDRV" which reflects the Bel-Del name.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #318 on: Jan 4th, 2008, 10:12am »

I was going to help out during December on 60 when I actually had some time and was told that we weren't working on her until Spring.  I'm glad though that work has as you say resumed.  I will have to check with my sources and see what else has been done since I last was there.

« Last Edit: Jan 4th, 2008, 10:12am by Super_foamer » Logged

Cumbres and Toltec fan
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #319 on: Jan 20th, 2008, 12:16pm »

on Jan 4th, 2008, 10:12am, Baldwin_feeder wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was going to help out during December on 60 when I actually had some time and was told that we weren't working on her until Spring.

I found out from my source that no work has been done on #60 since last October.  If work doesn't resume until Spring, which is what I was told, then you're not likely going to see her under steam until this summer at the earliest - and that's a very generous estimate!  The best answer to the question "when is 60 going to run?" is when she's back together, and when there's a fire in the firebox and steam in the boiler.  I'm not optimistic......yet.  

"Buy me a ticket on the last train home tonight."
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »