Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 10:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35684 times)
de-rail
Historian
Re: #60

« Reply #240 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:12pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Jun 2nd, 2007, 10:06pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey now, I ain't anything good over there, I'm just the immagrant who sticks the flues in!! †Colin

You do a lot of work down there, I am only sorry I can't get down more. It was nice meeting you J. M. Fusco, and I am glad you did not lock your self in the Caboose after all.  

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #241 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 12:15pm »

I thought you were going to paint her without permission?

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #242 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 6:59pm »

no me and colin were going to head to the railroad before railroad days, and were going to paint 60 all night. (colin i just made this up so that everyone would think.... "What Happened someone has painted 60 overnight?")    ok but enough fooling around, i think that we should paint 60 on a sunday, so that on saturday, 60 could be worked on, and then sunday, when no one is usually there, we could paint 60 little by little until finally it is time for 60 to run. Im serious about this idea.

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
de-rail
Historian

« Reply #243 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 7:18pm »

What did I say about this being a public forums where anyone and everyone can read it?  
( )

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #244 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 7:53pm »

Ok i forgot that other people can see what i post   but seriously could we paint 60 on a sunday i could be there all day

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #245 on: Jun 3rd, 2007, 9:39pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2007, 7:53pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ok i forgot that other people can see what i post † but seriously could we paint 60 on a sunday i could be there all day

Ummm I think that might just be up to the management. Dont go doing anything to get yourself in trouble cause if you do that you will probable be banded from the property. Do you know how to use a spray gun because you don't brush paint a locomotive. Seriously though her current paint scheme is just fine. Lets not start one of your FOAMER wars about how this locomotive should be painted. I am sick of that. ANYWAY, I am so glade to see the old girl coming back together. That's my "home town" steamer. I used to live about five miles outside of Flemington and growing up I can remember hearing the 60 coming into town from my house. Many times I made my parents pull over into the Flemington station parking lot so I could watch the 60 leave town. I was on one of the last trips 60 made to Lambertville. Those were the good ol' days. Will anyone be out there this Saturday? I don't have to report to New Hope to fire 40 till 2:30 so I was thinking of swinging by in the morning to lend a hand.

-Eric

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2007, 9:46pm by Eric_B. » Logged

If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks.
WM734
Former Member

« Reply #246 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 12:05am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Jun 3rd, 2007, 9:39pm, DRGW_K-28 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Ummm I think that might just be up to the management. Dont go doing anything to get yourself in trouble cause if you do that you will probable be banded from the property. Do you know how to use a spray gun because you don't brush paint a locomotive. Seriously though her current paint scheme is just fine. Lets not start one of your FOAMER wars about how this locomotive should be painted. I am sick of that. ANYWAY, I am so glade to see the old girl coming back together. That's my "home town" steamer. I used to live about five miles outside of Flemington and growing up I can remember hearing the 60 coming into town from my house. Many times I made my parents pull over into the Flemington station parking lot so I could watch the 60 leave town. I was on one of the last trips 60 made to Lambertville. Those were the good ol' days. Will anyone be out there this Saturday? I don't have to report to New Hope to fire 40 till 2:30 so I was thinking of swinging by in the morning to lend a hand.

-Eric

Yeah guys, Eric is right. †I hope you know that I was only joking (I think SGP and Joe were just kidding to).  

BTW, There's always plenty more guys working on her on Saturdays.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 4:05pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #247 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 7:00am »

on Jun 4th, 2007, 12:05am, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Yeah guys, Eric is right. †I hope you know that I was only joking (I think SGP and Joe were just kidding to). †But yes, I will indeed suggest it to them. †Not only does paint look nice, but it also adds a protective coating to the locomotive to protect her from the elements. †It's nice to paint it the right color but mainly it is not for show. †

IMHO #60 certainly needs a paint job. †Whether it says Black River or BRW or whatever, it still needs a protective black coating. Last time I asked them about it they said they would just slab some WD40 on her. †It would certainly be shiny...for a day. †I'm trying to be able to do it with permission. †It also makes it look presentable to the public, which is what you want for tourists so they can come back to the railroad. †Last time I checked, that was one of the main purposes to a good business for a tourist operation. †The difference is in the details and people will come back if things look sharp. †BUT, first things first, let's get the flues & tubes in so she can get running.

Colin  

PS- I might head down there on Saturday but I'm not 100% sure. †I'll let y'all know. †There's always plenty more guys (MUCH more knowledgeable than myself who are able to do a lot more) working on her on Saturdays.

I was joking, but I do agree with colin about giving her a nice coat of paint, and  to quote colin...

"I might head down there on Saturday but I'm not 100% sure.  I'll let y'all know.  There's always plenty more guys (MUCH more knowledgeable than myself who are able to do a lot more) working on her on Saturdays."

Yes but how knowledgeable do you have to be to paint?  Usually when I go on sundays no one is around working on 60, just being crew on the passenger train.  Sunday would be a better day to do it, because you dont have people putting tubes and flues in 60, also it would be more calmed down on sunday.  Let me know what you guys want to do.

~Joe

Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #248 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 9:17am »

Paint is the LAST step in a locomotive restoration. Don't even worry about that now. There is still a lot more work that has to go into the locomotive and it still has to have a hydro done. The locomotive has to be 99% back together and steam tested before that. If a problem is found on the hydro or steam test things will have to be taken off to get to the problems. Then you run the risk of messing up the pain even before the 60 has a chance to. Also a paint job like that has to be done with a spray gun. Not spray paint. A professional air powered spray gun if you want it to look right. You would need the right paint (expensive), thinner,, spray gun (very expensive) and all the protective gear to spray it(also expensive). Also it will take multiple coats of paint. There is a lot more to painting a locomotive then just slapping it on. Trust me brushed on paint on a locomotive looks like crap. AGAIN in the end its the MANAGEMENT'S decision weather or not it gets a repaint and when.

-Eric

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2007, 9:21am by Eric_B. » Logged

If you don't work for the railroad, you don't know more than the people who do, no matter how many years you've hung around the tracks.
WM734
Former Member

« Reply #249 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 10:27am »

Joe,

No one is going to do anything about the paint until the engine is nearly complete! †You have no right to go in there and paint her without the steam guys giving you the okay to do so. †It is not that easy, I myself can say so because I painted the tender deck black by hand with a free brush. WITH PERMISSION.

A question about that actually...

Eric, you said that you needed a spray gun. †Are you 100% sure you need one with the boiler and the sides of the tender and cab? †  

-Colin

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 4:07pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #250 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 2:21pm »

ok well, based on the above posts, I understand that you HAVE TO HAVE PERMISSION to paint something. second, Im just stating that it should be on a sunday, cause some of us cant make it there saturday and no one is working on 60 on sunday. thirdly, colin, maybe they only let you brush paint it because they didnt feel like spraying new letters and numbers on the tender  .

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #251 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 2:47pm »

on Jun 4th, 2007, 2:21pm, brw_60_752 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
thirdly, colin, maybe they only let you brush paint it because they didnt feel like spraying new letters and numbers on the tender †. †

You do realize that there is no lettering on the tender deck.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #252 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 4:16pm »

ok i was thinking about the back of the tender where it was all rusted. Also me and colin talked about this, and we both thought that talking about paint now is pointless, We all kinda get carried away sometimes and I think that should stop. Me and colin are both sorry for adding more stuff.

Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #253 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 4:36pm »

on Jun 4th, 2007, 10:27am, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

A question about that actually...

Eric, you said that you needed a spray gun. †If that is true, then why did they tell me to paint the tender deck with a brush? †My guess is that it was only the top of the tender, so it is rarely seen. †Are you 100% sure you need one with the boiler and the sides of the tender and cab? †  

It really depends on the finish you are looking for. The boiler jacketing, tender, cab and domes should be sprayed if you are trying to get that smooth glossy look. Brush paint will leave many imperfections. Why do you think they do not brush paint cars? Before anyone questions my knowledge of steam locomotive restoration let me give you some background. I have been involved in steam locomotive restorations for going on seven years. I started at age 13 at the New Jersey Museum of Transportation. The year I joined they started the restoration of a 1914 Porter 2-6-0. I have been heavily involved with the project doing everything from removing and cleaning parts to manufacturing replacement parts using laths and milling machines. I have easily spent 1,500 hours on the locomotive. I have also aided in repairs to the WW&FRy Museum #10 in Alna Me. I am currently a certified fireman on the New Hope & Ivyland Railroad and a certified engineer, conductor and brakeman at NJMT. I have done almost every railroad job known to man and I'm just getting started. Now back to the Porter at NJMT. The tender of the locomotive was built brand new from the ground up all in shop. It is of welded construction. The tender was painted with a high gloss paint and it was spray applied. I spent MANY hours sanding primer and bondo to get the finish just right. However the tender should have been left in primer. It was not and now it sits in storage waiting the completion of the locomotive. It is getting dirty and guess what else...... scratched. I am not saying that it would not be scratched if the locomotive was running but being painted before everything is finish while work still needs to be done to it you run a higher risk of damaging the paint. Now the tender deck can be brush painted. The paint will wear right off in half a year of service anyway from the constant foot traffic and the coal scoop. We were going to spray the top of the tender and coal bunker with truck bed liner to protect it from the coal. The bottom line is if you want to locomotive to shine and look its best (I personally like some grim on my engines) you paint it last and with a spray gun for that glossy finish. However areas that do not have a smooth surface like the pilot beam, drivers, so on and so forth can be brush painted with a gloss paint. One of the locomotives at NJMT (ex SS&SRY #26) has a brush paint job. From far away it looks fine but close up you can see all the brush marks and bristles in the paint.

Now please none of you take my posts as attacks on you or trying to make you feel like you should not try and help. By all means do as much as you can. When I first joined I knew very little and got in the way more then anything, but I stuck with it. I proved myself to the other members and learned EVERYTHING I could. Soak it all up. We need more young people who are willing to get their hands dirty and learn these things so we can keep the steamers running in the years to come.  

-Eric

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2007, 4:44pm by Eric_B. » Logged

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #254 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 5:00pm »

Hey Eric,

Thanks for the info about the spray gun.  I don't know too much at this point, so I pretty much watch, listen and do whatever is told of me.  

Hope you guys get 46 rollin' within the next few years as well, I sure do miss steam on that line, great times over there. †Another "Joizey" steam operation that would be great to come back.

Thanks again.
Colin

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 4:08pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #255 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 5:54pm »

Well unfortunately do to political BS I have been going to the Creek less and less and going to New Hope more and more. I have five days on this month as fireman. Also do not hold your breath on the 46. The organization has A LOT of crap to work through internally before that project comes to closer. Again keep up the work guys. Steam will only operate as long as there are people who know how to operate and maintain them. We need more people of your ages to get up off their butts, away from their computers and video games and come out and get their hands dirty. To many people who post on this forum and many others know NOTHING about railroading. Sure they have read books and they know the terms and the history but that is not railroading. I could explain to you how to connect the glad-hands on the train air lines and it would sound simple, but I cant tell you how many people cant even do that or how many don't even know what the glad-hands are! It is a crying shame.

-Eric

(P.S. Only tourists from New York call it Joizey. The locals say Jersey † Dam Bennys )

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2007, 5:57pm by Eric_B. » Logged

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #256 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 6:10pm »

on Jun 4th, 2007, 5:54pm, DRGW_K-28 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

(P.S. Only tourists from New York call it Joizey. The locals say Jersey † Dam Bennys )

Heh...yea, I'm a Jersey boy too...that's the big joke in PA and NY state, "JOIZEY"...

MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #257 on: Jun 4th, 2007, 10:27pm »

Hey Eric-

Cmon man lets not exclude the Shooby`s too. Haha. Not that I grew up one, but I guess I kinda am now by default. ("Shoobys", for those unaware, are to the greater Philly area what "bennys" are to NY)
     I may join you on Saturday Eric.... just gotta hit the bank in L-Wood in the morning n im good to go. It would be nice to work on a steamer that has a chance of actually running sometime before the year 2066.  
     Colin, I wish the 46 was running too but its gonna be awhile....politics have destroyed the loads of fun we all used to have at that place, its a shame.  If I wasnt so cheap I`d  put my overtime to use n pony up the $50,000 to give 26 a new firebox, but not under the current managment.  
     And yea, I am witness to Erics countless hours of wet sanding that godforsaken tender lmao.  I dunno Eric, what was worse......doing the sanding itself or putting up with Spence and Liz while doing it? hahah lmao.  
    To all working on the 60......keep up the excellent work!!   -Chris

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #258 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 3:26pm »

on Jun 4th, 2007, 6:10pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Heh...yea, I'm a Jersey boy too...that's the big joke in PA and NY state, "JOIZEY"...

Thatís defiantly a joke, here in New York, but we mostly call it that to annoy New Jersey people LOL

Anthony

Eric_B.
Chaser

« Reply #259 on: Jun 5th, 2007, 10:24pm »

BENNY ALERT!!!! LOL

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »