Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 23rd, 2017, 1:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35709 times)
Redwings361
Chaser
Re: #60

« Reply #180 on: May 11th, 2007, 4:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on May 11th, 2007, 4:28pm, Adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I am thinking about joining the BRRHT and helping out with the restoration of BR&W #60. I want to be apart of something like this, so when it runs, I can say that I helped restore this peice of history. It's time for me to stop foaming and start doing something that can make a difference. I'm planning to visit the RR first on May 20th, to see what it's like.

- Adam

I'm also thinking about joining

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #181 on: May 11th, 2007, 6:26pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

On a sum what off topic note, I think the BLACK RIVER is the best paint on 60, but if I'm not mistaken I think they painted the tender in GREAT WESTERN  already

Anthony

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #182 on: May 11th, 2007, 6:31pm »

on May 10th, 2007, 4:59pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This weekend I'm going to suggest this (in a non-pushy way of course) to how the tender should be painted. †Here's the drawing I whipped up, hopefully they will aprove. Anybody agree/disagree with the slight changes on the sides of the tender? †I'd like to see what everyone thinks...

But I really like this  design  

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #183 on: May 11th, 2007, 7:54pm »

on May 11th, 2007, 12:11pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey Eric,

Yes, the tubes have been delivered. †Last I was there (two weeks ago) there were only about 4-5 of the big 6" tubes installed. †But now that they have the rest of the smaller tubes I'm pretty sure things will pick up. †They are so close to completeling that thing it isn't funny. †I'll give an update for you as far as the tubes go when I head out there this weekend.

-Colin

What day this weekend?

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
de-rail
Historian
  60_in_whiponey_597x424.jpg - 40352 Bytes
« Reply #184 on: May 11th, 2007, 8:29pm »

on May 11th, 2007, 6:26pm, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
On a sum what off topic note, I think the BLACK RIVER is the best paint on 60, but if I'm not mistaken I think they painted the tender in GREAT WESTERN †already

Anthony

I don't think the BRW every put her in Great Western Paint. Some folks might be supprised to realise how much 60 looks like her former GW self.  

Oh and btw I like 60 with just Back River on the tender because I grew up with it being that way.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/60_in_whiponey_597x424.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
ETSRRCo
Railfan

« Reply #185 on: May 11th, 2007, 8:50pm »

I know where that picture was taken. It sure wasn't Flemington or Ringos. Does anyone else know where it was taken?

-Eric

There goes another ET&S train of black diamonds

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #186 on: May 11th, 2007, 8:52pm »

Whippany, sir.

« Last Edit: Sep 17th, 2007, 7:19am by wm734_fan » Logged
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #187 on: May 11th, 2007, 10:39pm »

on May 10th, 2007, 4:59pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This weekend I'm going to suggest this (in a non-pushy way of course) to how the tender should be painted. †Here's the drawing I whipped up, hopefully they will aprove. Anybody agree/disagree with the slight changes on the sides of the tender? †I'd like to see what everyone thinks...

Colin,

I just have to say that drawing looks outstanding. It looks like a piece of work done by a draftsman!  

About the scheme - yes I agree with you Colin, though they might not go for your idea, †I do think the tender should read "BLACK RIVER & WESTERN" insead of just Black River.  

But it'll be alright either way; it's not like Black River is that bad really. I grew up with that on the tender and never thought it too strange, but it would make more sense to have the full name on the tender.  

Again, nice work... I hope they order those 2" inch tubes soon... I really wanna see that thing steamin' again...  

Joe...

« Last Edit: May 11th, 2007, 10:39pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
MachinistBoy46
Railfan

« Reply #188 on: May 11th, 2007, 11:45pm »

Hi all-

Ah, Eric, yeah I was at Whippany for that event. My dad almost got hit by the 142 cuz he wasnt paying attention, lmao. I was only like 6 or 7, and I remember I started crying hysterically when we got on 142`s train cuz I only wanted to ride behind the 60. So we hadda switch trains lol.  
    And although this has nothing to do with trains Eric, (inside joke between us ) I just killed behemoth spider #1 for the season in my basement. I sprayed it with this Raid ultra super dupermax crap and man that mofo started runnin around in circles, giving me time to land a perfectly placed dumbell shot on its head.  
    Anyway........u know a road trip is in order the first day 60 is back in action lol.   Lata    -Chris

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #189 on: May 11th, 2007, 11:58pm »

I still cannot get over #60 was in Whippany to start with.  I never found out about it until maybe about a year ago.  Whippany is so close to where I live and I can't believe I missed it!  I wouldn't have remembered much, but just the thought of it being someplace besides the BR&W shocks me.

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #190 on: May 12th, 2007, 9:01am »

on May 11th, 2007, 8:20pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Joe,

I'll be at the railroad tomorrow (Saturday). †I will be in the shop where 60 is for the majority of the day. †Feel free to give me a shout anytime.

oh well, im heading over sunday

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #191 on: May 12th, 2007, 4:47pm »

I was reading a book on the Long Island Railroad and one of the pages had a picture of 60 in the yard, with the caption saying, Black River And Western 60 visits the LIRR yard from her home rails of new jersey. I'll have to find that book again and look it up.............. It would be nice to see 142 and 60 doublehaeding at a Railfan Weekend

Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #192 on: May 12th, 2007, 7:34pm »

Yep BR&W #60 was the last steamer to operate on the LIRR. Hard to belive but true. 60 was moved on a barge over the Hudson River. I have never seen a photo of 60 in New York, I would be really cool though to see 60 crossing the Hellsgate bridge!

On a related note can someone tell me why it says LIRR #35 was leased to the BRW?

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vownership.cfm?display=912

http://www.steamlocomotive.info/vlocomotive.cfm?Display=912

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
WM734
Former Member

« Reply #193 on: May 12th, 2007, 10:03pm »

5/12/07 was a day full of large progress. †The crew had been poking in tubes since Wednesday. †Just about half of the tubes are rolled and in the locomotive. Now that there are a few more people working on her the work is getting done much faster. †Casey showed up for the first time and many other volunteers were there, so things moved more quickly and smoothly. †Man power makes all the difference.

-Colin

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 4:01pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Super_foamer
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #194 on: May 13th, 2007, 7:41pm »

Yeah, I did see a bunch of guys pluggin away on 60 when I was down there, I even think I saw Colin go into the firebox and roll tubes and then for some reason he was standing up on top of 60's cab!  Yup if those guys there keep pluggin away she could get done soon enough to make me and some people like me who are either little kids or little kids at heart when they see a steam locomotive under steam.  I know they got over 30 tubes installed and rolled on the firebox side yesterday alone maybe if that keeps up she could be moved under her own power sooner than you can imagine.  If you want 60 running I recomend you show your vote by joining the trust and volunteering time on 60.  It sure looks like fun anyway

~Casey

"I totally just splooged my pants." ~ rail pacer while he was working on a passenger car.

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #195 on: May 13th, 2007, 8:27pm »

I never knew that. Thatís really cool. The only thing is she was at the LIRR in BRW paint.......and for the record the BRW never owned 35, LI did. She was in a park and moved to the museum. I wonder were that got that from

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #196 on: May 13th, 2007, 9:28pm »

Today, was a great day, got to ride in the 297 , all the way up front, joined the trust, saw a conrail SD40-2 in three bridges and a fast freight there too, but i have a question....

Today i noticed A NEW PIECE OF EQUIPMENT in Ringoes yard  it looked to me that it was an e-7 or an e-8 or a e-9 but what is it doing there? the BRW says that it workes and is being restored

Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #197 on: May 14th, 2007, 11:41pm »

How far along is #60 ? just asking

Black_River_Joe
Historian
  old752.jpg - 80585 Bytes
« Reply #198 on: May 15th, 2007, 6:12am »

on May 14th, 2007, 11:13pm, WM734 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey now what do you guys think about this?

colin, that looks great, maybe the week before railfan weekend, we can paint it like that, but as a special thing, TO GET MORE PEOPLE TO COME, and then after the last train is finished on sunday, we paint it back...that is if it is running otherwise doing that would just be stupid...hey why dont we put 752 in her claredon and pittsford

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/old752.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #199 on: May 15th, 2007, 9:06am »

not to as any confusion, are we talking about 60 or 752?

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »