Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 21st, 2017, 1:26pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35676 times)
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member
Re: #60

« Reply #140 on: Mar 27th, 2007, 5:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Thanks for the info Mike I’d also like to thank wonderful people like SGP that volunteer there time to get our beloved 60 running again thanks guys

Anthony

de-rail
Historian

« Reply #141 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 8:00pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

anthonyd_SRR, I have not actually put any voulenter into 60, how ever if she is not done soon I might have to. (thanks for the compliment though)
on Mar 27th, 2007, 4:47pm, Redwings361 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Doe anyone here actually work for the BR&W ? Just Asking ?

Redwings, off the top of my head I don't think so, do you mean people that the RR pays or voulenters? I have noticed that most folks would rather voulenter than work for the RR.

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2007, 8:00pm by de-rail » Logged

"We do not ride on the railroad; the railroad rides upon us." - Henry David Thoreau.

Hudson Revival Project's Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hudson-Revival-Project/151566048238757
Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #142 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 5:47pm »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 8:00pm, sgp__Rail_Fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
anthonyd_SRR, I have not actually put any voulenter into 60, how ever if she is not done soon I might have to. (thanks for the compliment though)

Redwings, off the top of my head I don't think so, do you mean people that the RR pays or voulenters? I have noticed that most folks would rather voulenter than work for the RR.

Both

anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #143 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 5:59pm »

Hi Redwings361,

What do you mean by both?
Thanks
Anthony

Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #144 on: Mar 30th, 2007, 6:12pm »

Does anyone here work for the BR&W (Paid by the RR) and does anyone volunteer at the BR&W ?  

BRWRuckus
Railfan

« Reply #145 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:53am »

When #60 will go out of service again: I'm not sure. I do not know the ins and outs of the new rules. It is my understanding that they are based primarily on hours of service rather than months or years, since the FRA recognizes (finally) that these things are not running in regular every-day service for the most part. There are still inspections required on certain annual intervals, but in general we should be able to run #60 for many more years before a full teardown is required again.

I am a former employee of the BR&W. I worked full time for several months doing various odds and ends that needed doing. The entire passenger "staff" is volunteer, including the leadership of the BRRHT (of which I am a part).

As far as the weeds go.....one of our volunteers has created one hell-of-a rig that mounts on one of our hi-rail trucks. Plans are to nuke the right of way from end-of-track to the interchange sometime very soon. From what I have heard, if this guy pulls this off NOTHING will grow on the tracks afterwards for quite awhile. Stay tuned.

Michael Shea
Vice President
Black River Railroad Historical Trust
www.brrht.org
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #146 on: Apr 2nd, 2007, 2:40pm »

Can't wait to see what happens

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #147 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:42am »

on Apr 2nd, 2007, 11:53am, BRWRuckus wrote:       (Click here for original message)
When #60 will go out of service again: I'm not sure. I do not know the ins and outs of the new rules. It is my understanding that they are based primarily on hours of service rather than months or years, since the FRA recognizes (finally) that these things are not running in regular every-day service for the most part. There are still inspections required on certain annual intervals, but in general we should be able to run #60 for many more years before a full teardown is required again.

I am a former employee of the BR&W. I worked full time for several months doing various odds and ends that needed doing. The entire passenger "staff" is volunteer, including the leadership of the BRRHT (of which I am a part).

As far as the weeds go.....one of our volunteers has created one hell-of-a rig that mounts on one of our hi-rail trucks. Plans are to nuke the right of way from end-of-track to the interchange sometime very soon. From what I have heard, if this guy pulls this off NOTHING will grow on the tracks afterwards for quite awhile. Stay tuned.

If he can pull the weed spraying off, then will coach 302 the open window car come back into service?

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

Currently working on CNJ 1009 coach.
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #148 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 6:15pm »

Excuse my lack of info, but why would the weeds make a difference?

Anthony

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #149 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 7:30pm »

How tall are these weeds?  Are they tall enough to hit the passengers in and open  car?

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Apr 3rd, 2007, 10:23pm »

when i was filming, there were a couple times when the brush was close to the train, especially to three bridges

Help!!! Restore the BRW equipment by joining the Black River Historical Trust. www.brrht.org

livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #151 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 1:42am »

Don't stick your head out the windows if you don't want to get hit by the foliage.    Even with annual weed spraying, the S*&% grows back, only much healthier the next year.  Dupont sprays our railroad and many other shortlines each year and it does kill off stuff, but the priker bushes and heathons of that nature never go away unless you attack with a chain saw or better.

http://www.gradall.com/railroad_machines.html  I would love to have a toy like this.  This literally pulverizes anything in its path and turns any ROW into a "putting green."  

Good luck with the restoration of 60 and I'll drop by this year even if you are only running diesels.  Even 1st gen. diesels are nice to look at.

Steve

Got Steam!!!
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #152 on: Apr 9th, 2007, 10:07am »

I did not relized they were that high, thnaks for the info guys

Anthony

Redwings361
Chaser

« Reply #153 on: Apr 13th, 2007, 6:51pm »

So everyone ! does anyone know what the lastest is on #60 ? just asking ?

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #154 on: Apr 14th, 2007, 8:54am »

on Apr 9th, 2007, 10:07am, anthonyd_SRR wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I did not realize they were that high, thanks for the info guys

Anthony

from one of my posts above, i didnt mean to say that the weeds were that bad, the only problem for the open window car would to have to worry about the weeds and trees mostly on the non-station side of the train, the station side of the train, there was one or two times when it was close, but it looked like nothing...ok enough weed problems, lets find out on 60

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #155 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 10:43am »

This past Saturday the tender deck was painted (completed by yours truely in a little over 3 hours) and it is now a shiny black.  

The flues are pretty much the most important thing at this time.  The super-heater tubes are in the shop but only 3 are in the engine.  The regular 2 1/2'' tubes have yet to be delivered.  We're almost there fellas, stay tuned...

-Colin

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 3:57pm by wm734_fan » Logged
anthonyd_SRR
Former Member

« Reply #156 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 4:11pm »

Great news Colin. I wish I could volenteer but I'm 2 hours away  

Anthony

Black_River_Joe
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 4:15pm »

aw come on colin, you disappointed me twice, 1. you took the logo i have and now i wont know if I posted it as easily , and why does 60 need a "automatic ringer"   Now, the bell will have a predetermined swinging rate and wont do what i call the "double bell" where it flips, it will always be the same bell timing, but if this is how the BR&W had it in 1991, then forget what i just said. In my opinion, the bell should be swung by a guy, not pressed by a guy. Cant wait to see the tender next time im in ringoes which will probably this sunday so hopefully i'll see some of you guys there.

limejuice
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #158 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 4:56pm »

Do they work on 60 every Sunday? I'd be interested in helping out if I can. I have prior experience installing flues into a certain 2-8-0 which isn't that far from Ringoes

WM734
Former Member

« Reply #159 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 8:24pm »

Hey Limejuice,

There really isn't any special schedule where they work on her, but I would think you would have a good chance of finding work getting done on Sundays.  If you could, I would shoot for a Saturday, just because it's more likely.  Skilled people with experience like yourself is what they need.  

BTW, 60's bell works just like Strasburg 90's...it still swings but (as I said earlier) it's on an air rocker, not a clapper.

-Colin

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2007, 3:59pm by wm734_fan » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »