Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 23rd, 2017, 7:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railfan.net Web Forums
   Tourist Railroads and Museums
   Black River & Western
(Moderators: brw60, J. M. Fusco, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: #60  (Read 35566 times)
J. M. Fusco
Historian

« on: May 18th, 2004, 9:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

#60- former Great Western Railway- built by the American Locomotive Company with a 2-8-0 wheel arrangement. 60 currently (as of May 18 2004) is undergoing boiler inspection. Post pics, info, or anything about BR&W #60.

A little info on #60:
"ALCO 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive #60 was purchased by the Black River & Western Railroad in 1964. #60 was built in 1937 and is formerly from the Great Western Railway. It is currently out-of-service at Ringoes undergoing class repairs and federal inspections. #60 has been out of service since late 2000 for its form 4 boiler inspection required by the FRA. While no timeline has been established for it's return to service, a number of large scale repairs have been done thus far and the volunteers are confident that #60 will be in much better shape when she is returned to service. "

« Last Edit: Jan 20th, 2007, 10:28pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian
Re: Black River & Western #60
  BRW_60.jpg - 49366 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: May 18th, 2004, 11:51pm »

Funny you should mention #60.  I recently came across an old roll of my mom's Super-8 film in a box labeled "Black River & Western"  I took it to my local lab and had it converted to VHS.  Only a few minutes of the tape were devoted to the BR&W (the rest was of a Circle Liner boat trip around Manhattan) but mom did manage to get a nice clip of #60.  

-Charlie

Will post one of my surviving stills from that day back in 1977...ignore the "© 1976" on the photo, it's wrong.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/AllTourist/BRW_60.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 18th, 2004, 11:51pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #2 on: May 19th, 2004, 1:37pm »

on May 18th, 2004, 11:51pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Funny you should mention #60.  I recently came across an old roll of my mom's Super-8 film in a box labeled "Black River & Western"  I took it to my local lab and had it converted to VHS.  Only a few minutes of the tape were devoted to the BR&W (the rest was of a Circle Liner boat trip around Manhattan) but mom did manage to get a nice clip of #60.  

-Charlie

Will post one of my surviving stills from that day back in 1977...ignore the "© 1976" on the photo, it's wrong.

WOW! Is that a 2-8-0? Please post this in "Crazy Eights"...

Thanks!

Jim...  

« Last Edit: May 19th, 2004, 1:37pm by hummel1237 » Logged
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2004, 2:19pm »

Ive been off  the forum for 3 wks  and im really happy to see this BR&W board come up , since im riding the line along with 5 others in Pennsylvania and New Jersey in 2 wks!

« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2004, 2:20pm by Southern Green » Logged

Go Braves!

Charlie_O
Historian
  BRW60.jpg - 77355 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 7:55pm »

Thought I'd posted this pic here but guess not...well, here tis again...#60 under steam.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/BRW60.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2004, 7:56pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 9:35pm »

Nice pic.  

Charlie,  
        Where is that picture taken at? Hopefully in the next couple years everybody here who didnt get a chance to see # 60 under steam ( including me   )
 will get that chance.
              Cy

Go Braves!

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jul 5th, 2004, 11:26pm »

on Jul 5th, 2004, 9:35pm, Teen_NS_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
   Nice pic.  

Charlie,  
                            Where is that picture taken at?

Cy -
My original notes said Ringoes, but after a re-visit this winter (and a chat with some BR&W workers) I now believe it was taken at Flemington.  
-Charlie

brw60

« Reply #7 on: Jul 6th, 2004, 5:05pm »

that is indeed Flemington.  The road in the background is Mine Street.  The building to the right of the locomotive is the old PRR Flemington Station.  The track has since been torn up, and the station stop moved a quarter of a mile south.

-Dan

raced1111
Enthusiast
  Ringoes60.jpg - 39702 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Jul 19th, 2004, 4:48pm »

Here's a pic I took in 2001 (I think), could have been fall 2000.  It had just been cut off the train and was about to run around for the return to Flemington.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/Ringoes60.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Conductor_Cornhole
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 7:31pm »

Are you sure about that? 60 cutting loose at the water plug for the runaround?

on Jul 19th, 2004, 4:48pm, raced1111 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's a pic I took in 2001 (I think), could have been fall 2000.  It had just been cut off the train and was about to run around for the return to Flemington.

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Sep 9th, 2004, 8:43pm »

60 doesnt run around the train....It takes to a wye or a loop at the end of the Yard.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #11 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 8:29am »

Sorry to say nhirr40, but I have to agree with maps53 on this one.  

For as long as I can remember (going on 20 years now) 60 has always faced south and they have ALWAYS performed runaround moves on the BR&W.  

When the train arrives at Ringoes, from Flemington, they disembark all passengers then proceed about 1,000 feet or so south to the yard area. There is a section of the main line with a siding on both sides. One siding is used for car storage (the DL&W "booton Cars" are there now) and the other is used for runaround moves. There are farms on boths sides of the RR in Ringoes and therefore there is no room for a wye or a loop.

Once they had performed the runaround move they bring the train back into the station for boarding. The main line right at the Ringoes station is elevated and all sidings within the station area are well below that of the main which is why no runaround moves are performed right within the station proper.

Peace Ya'll

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Sep 10th, 2004, 3:20pm »

Ok...Yeah I thought it was completely turned around. But I thought maps53 was saying it was at the station area....so I'm half right. I must have been thinking of 3 bridges when they did the loop. There's a loop at 3 ridges, or is there? Sorry that I'm not such a helpful mod.

« Last Edit: Sep 10th, 2004, 3:20pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #13 on: Sep 11th, 2004, 8:29am »

nah.....no wye at Flem. You'll be ok nhirr40 as a moderator, just research and ask before you make certain "definite" statements.  

Conductor_Cornhole
TRAINing

« Reply #14 on: Sep 17th, 2004, 9:35pm »

Maps,

There is a rather intricate story behind the screen name I chose for this site. Suffice to say it has to do with some improvisation and a particular Coka Cola sign. Anyway, at one time, before the BRW even moved to Ringoes, there were 3 turntables in Flemington, only one survives today (if you could call it survival) as a patio with a gazebo atop it and is the al fresco seating area for a nearby restaurant. There hasn't been a live connection to it for at least 90 years (Does anyone else have a more accurate time frame?).

A wye on the BRW? No, I don't even think there ever was one when most of our main line was laid down in 1854 under the Flemington Navigation & Transportation Co. I would know about it if there ever was. The BRW has always been a shortline in the true essense of the tradition, the main and runarounds are all that we have ever needed to be happy. I think our friend from across the river has been tapping into Marion Barry's personal stash. Where the heck else could he have come up with such bogus rubbish?

Hey, and don't forget tomorrow starts our second train robbery for the season, so COME ON DOWN AND SUPPORT YOUR FAVORITE SHORTLINE!!!

Mike

on Sep 9th, 2004, 8:31pm, maps53 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
About 60?  Isn't it on the engine house track---the water plug is behind it.

Conductor Cornhole, eh,  oh boy, I could have some fun with this!

J. M. Fusco
Historian
Re: BR&W #60
  DSC00089-2.jpg - 37076 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 4:08pm »

Ok, as of Jan '05, this is what she looks like.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DSC00089-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2005, 11:02pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
J. M. Fusco
Historian
  DSC00090.jpg - 35938 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11th, 2005, 4:10pm »

And this is what she used to look like  !

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DSC00090.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Strasburg 1223
Former Member

« Reply #17 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 6:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Getting quiet some progress!! How many deisels do they have?? In almost every pic i have seen in this board there is a different deisel.

strasburg90
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Jan 13th, 2005, 8:03pm »

i guess 7 or 8,can anyone confirm this?

TOP 10 STEAMERS!
J. M. Fusco
Historian
  DSC00084.jpg - 37668 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Jan 14th, 2005, 6:33am »

on Jul 5th, 2004, 9:35pm, Teen_NS_fan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
   Nice pic.  

Charlie,  
                            Where is that picture taken at? Hopefully in the next couple years everybody here who didnt get a chance to see # 60 under steam ( including me   )
 will get that chance.
                                                           Cy

Cy, It's looking good. She's shapin' up, she's ready for the ultrasound, her engneer side cylinder is done, now they are doing the fireman's side. Let's see. All it needs is it's boiler jacket (some external piping), sand dome, rods reconected, and tubes. Yes it still needs tubes. Sheesh. I don't think they can put 'em in until the ultrasound is done with. Tubes is the major thing. Hopefully we will see steam on the BRW this year. I got an idea that it may just be July '05. But that's not a supported fact. It's just a gut feeling.

Hopin' for BRW steam....

-Joe  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BRW/DSC00084.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 14th, 2005, 6:52am by J. M. Fusco » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  35 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »