Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 7:02am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Buffet's Berkshire Buying Burlington RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Buffet's Berkshire Buying Burlington RR  (Read 228 times)
Christian_S.
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 10:17am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Buffett's Company Makes Deal Valuing $34B

NEW YORK -- Making a $34 billion bet on the future of the U.S. economy, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. on Tuesday agreed to buy Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.

http://www.wgal.com/money/21506105/detail.html

SD50_Fan
Historian
Re: Buffet's Berkshire Buying Burlington RR

« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:42pm »

This could be good news for the rest of the rail industry and I would expect stock prices rise across the board for railraod stocks in general...of course, I'm no financial expert (otherwise it would've been me buying up BNSF )!

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2009, 1:43pm by SD50_Fan » Logged
RRG2

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:35pm »

In the current state of the economy,this may be a good move on Buffet's part.  The next wave of "conrails" cannot be too far off. Read between the lines folks.

« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2009, 3:36pm by RRG2 » Logged

EACH DAY IS A GIFT....NOT A GIVEN RIGHT
NSrailfan929
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:37pm »

I read about this buy early this morning and I didnt think it would take to long to end up on here. Its definitely some news im sure alot of us didnt expect. I think alot of people were expecting another MERGER of 2 big Class One railroads rather than one being bought out by a completely different company, Altho I read he also earns a million some shares in Norfolk Southern stock as well as as nice amount in Union Pacific.

So with that being said my question is this. Will BNSF still be the BNSF as we know it today, with the same name an the pumpkin orange locomotives we've been used to OR will we be seeing a completely different railroad all over the western half of the united states with a new color scheme an name??  

Let the speculation begin.

"CSXT 400, Clear of all tracks, Release 3-Step, Stretch em out, Over"
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2009, 5:18pm »

on Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:37pm, NSrailfan929 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

So with that being said my question is this. Will BNSF still be the BNSF as we know it today, with the same name an the pumpkin orange locomotives we've been used to OR will we be seeing a completely different railroad all over the western half of the united states with a new color scheme an name??  

Let the speculation begin.

I was just thinking the same exact thing. But unless someone has a reliable source for this, I think the best thing to do is wait for time to play its part. On the other hand, I guess it wouldn't hurt to make a fantasy name and paint scheme.  

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2009, 7:26am »

on Nov 3rd, 2009, 4:37pm, NSrailfan929 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...So with that being said my question is this. Will BNSF still be the BNSF as we know it today, with the same name an the pumpkin orange locomotives we've been used to OR will we be seeing a completely different railroad all over the western half of the united states with a new color scheme an name??...  

By past practice, Warren Buffett's Berkshire Hathaway Inc. doesn't do business that way. In its collection of prominent firms, it tends to stick to the  
established logos, market place  images, and so on. Its strong balance sheet, though, enables the companies held to proceed much more solidly in  
any areas of expansion...

In my own experience, noted this with the firm's massive investment in M & T Bank of Buffalo. Seemed a bit of a surprise that, as I had lived in Buffalo  
years back, traditional old M&T more recently became my banker in my present, Northeast Maryland neighborhood...

The news release tells us there is still a BNSF. Suddenly, it is a large holder of Berkshire Hathaway shares...  

................Vern...........

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
retired_signalman
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Nov 4th, 2009, 10:00am »

First the sale has to be approved by stockholders and THE GOVT ,second i dont see any major changes in management or identity.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »