Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 12:25am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Rear-pushers on intermodals?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Rear-pushers on intermodals?  (Read 298 times)
MR77100
Chaser

« on: Mar 29th, 2008, 9:24pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Today, I was stopped by a BNSF intermodel at Mazon, IL and was surprised to see a pair of Dash 9's on the front and rear! Does anyone know the reason for this in this flat countryside?

CN Sparky
Enthusiast
View Profile  

Re: Rear-pushers on intermodals?

« Reply #1 on: Apr 27th, 2008, 7:45pm »

From a practicality point of view... it's easier to slice two off the rear than it is from the middle or front... especially if the rest of the train is going further.

But how often does the railroad do things in a practical manner?? I can't tell you  

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2010, 8:25pm »

I was following Rt 66 and the former Santa Fe line a few months back. I noticed that every BNSF train had units on the front and back. Is this a new operating procedure using distributed power?

Espee9180
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 9th, 2010, 11:13pm »

Remember guys, these Intermodal trains on BNSF probably go from the West Coast ports it the Chicago area and then back. So having DPU's on the end cuts out the time needed to put more engines on for the trip over the mountains and the Continental Divide. Also if a lead engine fails the DPU on the end can give a extra hand. UP uses this practice on trains going to or leaving Chicago and the west coast ports.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 12:29pm »

As I recall, the few times I worked on the BNSF between Amarillo and Clovis, N.M. there were almost always DPU's on the stacktrains. It is a big factor in helping reduce stress on the draft gear and couplers. A few days ago here in St Louis a U.P. intermodal had a unit cut into the middle, with none on the rear.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 10th, 2010, 1:30pm »

Here in Fargo, BNSF has not been using DPU on intermodal runs that I have seen.  All the DPU has been on coal, usually loads eastbound; and grain trains westbound.

I rarely see DPU on empty coal trains going west, but will occasionally see DPU on eastbound grain trains.  

Once in a great while, DPU will be on mixed merchandise.  

It's usually just one unit at the rear for DPU up here.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »