Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 6:30am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BNSF Railway Asks Rail Fans for Cooperation To Kee
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BNSF Railway Asks Rail Fans for Cooperation To Kee  (Read 1122 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian

« on: Jun 7th, 2006, 5:16pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

News Release
BNSF Railway Asks Rail Fans for Cooperation To Keep America's Rail System Safe
FORT WORTH, TEXAS, June 7, 2006:
BNSF Railway Company (BNSF) is recruiting rail fans to help keep BNSF properties safe by reporting suspicious activities and to help prevent possible security breaches.

“Keeping America’s rail transportation network safe from crime and terrorist activity is a high priority for the railroad industry,” says William Heileman, BNSF general director, Police and Protection Solutions. “Every day across the country, rail fans photograph and watch trains as they pass through communities. It seems natural to harness their interest to help keep America’s rail system safe.”

Rail fans can register for the program by going to the Citizens United for Rail Security (CRS) Web site (http://newdomino.bnsf.com/website/crs.nsf/request?open). CRS participants will receive an official identification card along with access to news and information on the BNSF CRS Web site.
To report suspicious activity, CRS members and the public can call (800) 832-5452. The information will be taken by a BNSF representative and routed for appropriate response.

“Supporting homeland security in this manner is positive for everyone," says Carl Ice, BNSF’s executive vice president and chief operations officer. "It supports the nation's security efforts, improves safety within our company and the community, and improves operations by helping to remove the impact of criminal acts and accidents."
The CRS program is an outgrowth of another BNSF grassroots program, called BNSF ON GUARD, which encourages employees to report suspicious activities, trespassers or individuals to BNSF’s Resource Operations Call Center (ROCC). The BNSF ON GUARD program, which started in 2003, has been successful, with more than 200 employees reporting suspicious activities since its inception. Employees have reported theft, vandalism, arson, attempted suicide, and other criminal violations, threats to safety, or unusual events on or near railway properties.

“Security is everyone’s business. Because of heightened security status, Americans are being asked to be the ‘eyes and ears’ for law enforcement," says John Clark, BNSF assistant vice president, Resource Protection Solutions Team. "At BNSF, our police team continues to educate employees on work, personal and home security, as well as working to change employee behavior to increase awareness of security risks."
A subsidiary of Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corporation (NYSE:BNI), BNSF Railway Company operates one of the largest railroad networks in North America, with about 32,000 route miles in 28 states and two Canadian provinces. BNSF is among the world's top transporters of intermodal traffic, moves more grain than any other American railroad, transports the components of many of the products we depend on daily, and hauls enough low-sulphur coal to generate about ten percent of the electricity produced in the United States. BNSF is an industry leader in Web-enabling a variety of customer transactions at www.bnsf.com.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

The_Rat
Historian
Re: BNSF Railway Asks Rail Fans for Cooperation To

« Reply #1 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 8:49pm »

Hopefully this virus of intelligence will spread to the east and possibly become nationwide. I would sign up in a heartbeat.

Last  time I checked, crooks did not like being watched.

This move does not give BNSF railfans the right to start roaming the yards in search of hobos. As I understand it, all "no tresspassing" areas still apply to everyone. Report them, not hog tie them to the tracks.  

Hopefully, some kind of background check would be in place upon application. These ID cards don't need to be given out carte blanche like pilot licenses were to terrorists.

I personally congratulate BNSF for this program and FINALLY, someone sees us as something more than a liability.

Dan Valentine
MP 276 NS Pittsburgh Division
Johnstown, PA

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2006, 12:18am »

finally a railroad gives railfans a active role.....  This is great the true fans and the people that are there just to watch and love trains can still do this. BNSF is proving every day why UP better watch out!

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
XBNSFer
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:00pm »

Truly amazing that it has taken six years (since 9/11) for ONE railroad to have the lightbulb come on. Glad it's my alma mater, as it were - and still my favorite railroad (and I think, the class of the industry - owing to the ATSF heritage, of course) that started it. Hopefully this will spread through the industry faster than the sniffles through a day-care population, because it's long overdue.

"I'm with ya Manny...I'm with ya till the wheels come off" - Eric Roberts, "Runaway Train"
al-in-chgo
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Nov 7th, 2007, 9:12pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2007, 11:00pm, XBNSFer wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Truly amazing that it has taken six years (since 9/11) for ONE railroad to have the lightbulb come on. Glad it's my alma mater, as it were - and still my favorite railroad (and I think, the class of the industry - owing to the ATSF heritage, of course) that started it. Hopefully this will spread through the industry faster than the sniffles through a day-care population, because it's long overdue.

I, too, think it is a terrific idea and I joined it yesterday on-line.  If interested, here's the link they sent me:  http://newdomino.bnsf.com/website/crs.nsf/splash?open

, or you can Google BNSF or Citizens for Rail Security.  

Assuming you accept BNSF's terms -- and I would advise reading the disclaimer carefully -- you'll be directed to another link to print out your I.D. paper.   Clearly the Digital Revolution is saving BNSF some major bucks by not having to print applications and I.D. cards, mail, toll-free phone etc.  

To me their most intriguing perk of membership is the DVD on rail safety several of CRS' threads mention, the DVD available "to small groups."  I cannot speak for the BNSF or the CRS but I've a hunch that a small group could be put together on an ad-hoc basis (just for playing the DVD if nothing else?).  I say this as a free-lance writer because I've found that when a publicity department receives the all-out on a new item or promotion, the folks in that dept. can be very liberal.  And the DVD is about the only tangible perk I've found from CRS; remember, we even have to computer-print out our I.D. info (which folds into a wallet card, approximately).  

BTW:  CRS has gained over 6,500 members in a two and 1/2 years, roughly.  Your I.D. number will basically just be the year plus a count-up-from zero (for the year) numeric.  Sooner the member, lower the I.D. card no.  

A little OT, but BNSF is my second-favorite RR of the Seven and my fave for publicity.  If you wouldn't feel silly describing yourself as an "independent investor" -- well, that's what I did when I e-mailed BNSF and I got financial report, one annual report for stockholders and one for financiers, AND the BNSF 2007 and their latest route map!  I hold NS stock and I have to ask them for a calendar.  Also, BNSF is a class act operationally and I enjoy seeing their TOFC's and cubes whiz thru Rochelle, Illinois.  

How to reach BNSF :  

Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp.  
2650 Lou Menk Drive
Fort Worth, TX 76131-2830
United States - Map
Phone: 800-795-2673
Fax: 817-333-2377  
Site:  bnsf.com

Site:  bnsf.com
once on site, click on anything that says "Investors" or "Shareholders."  If that doesn't work, there's always "Contact Us."

-----
al-in-chgo, Northside.
Middle-Aged ChaseRR

RR viewing sites and shelters

Unsure of opinion re: graffiti
-------
al-in-chgo
Chaser
View Profile  

Re: BNSF Railway Asks Rail Fans for Cooperation To Kee

« Reply #5 on: Nov 11th, 2007, 7:01pm »

I found a better way to get straight thru to BNSF's Citizen for Rail Responsibility (CRS):  

http://www.citizensforrailsecurity.com/

The site also has a posting for BNSF's photo gallery.  This is the only photo display of modern BNSF railroading I have been able to find on that site.  

G'day!
al-in-chgo

-----
al-in-chgo, Northside.
Middle-Aged ChaseRR

RR viewing sites and shelters

Unsure of opinion re: graffiti
-------
CALZEPHYR
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: BNSF Railway Asks Rail Fans for Cooperation To Kee

« Reply #6 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 3:20pm »

I signed up on the BNSF web site and printed out my card with the emergency phone numbers on it.   Seems like an easy thing to do since we all want the trains to be safe.  

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »