Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 11:53pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New BNSF Logo
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   New BNSF Logo
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New BNSF Logo  (Read 3606 times)
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New BNSF Logo

« Reply #60 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 12:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey Mike,
 Why do you hate BNSF? The BNSF has really impressed me because there Beatiful Dash 9's which really have made the BNSF what it is today. As stated before the BNSF has seen double digit growth and may in time become one of the strongest railroads in North America. I lost faith in Nazi Southern when they killed the Steam program. Although there scheme is nice looking too. To summarize this I like the BNSF logo, railroads have to modernize and make themselves look attractive, if not they will be in the category of Fallen Flags.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
MH765
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 2:37pm »

Well, for one thing, the logo. Just plain disgusting, it doesn't go with it's already sick paint scheme. I liked it when it was Orange and Dark Green with the old logo. The old logo reminds me of the Santa Fe. Now that it's Orange and Black and the "swoopy" excuse for a logo. I could call it "Burlington Nike Santa Fe", 'cause the new logo reminds me of Nike's logo. Plus, it looks weird on the hoods on their engines.  

Another thing, I'm not a GE fan, their Crap 9s are....well....Crap!

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005, 2:41pm by MH765 » Logged

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #62 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 3:30pm »

Hey Mike,
 I'm not here to judge a Dash 9 because I have never seen one in person but according to engineers they are very efficient engines and rarely break down The Dash 9 is probaly the closest to efficient that a diesel could be. I would't mind getting at the throttle of that 5,000hp( I think the Dash 9 has 5000hp ) beast. I'm not to familiar with the GE engines but I think EMD has a better reputation but that may change.

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005, 3:35pm by NKP759fan » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 4:04pm »

"I think EMD has a better reputation" - I think that sort of depends on just WHEN you are discussing reputations.  

Railroad operating departments usually have a good deal to say about what poer gets bought (though the bean-counters get a lot of input), and I'd say it is a significant datum that EMD was the dominant provider of power for a good many years - everybody else was a distant second or worse, despite determined efforts from the "minority" builders. Alco was No. 2 for a long time, and a fairly stronhg No. 2 at taht. F-M and B-L-H had some interesting offerings, and there were a fair number of Trainmasters sold, but still distant also-rans to EMD and Alco (later MLW).  

GE finally got into the race and overtook ALCO/MLW, bustw as still way behind EMD in deliveries - but not anymore. I think if you check who is buying what, GE is selling a lot more locomotives (and has for several recent years) than EMD (or whatever they are clled now since GM spun the company off). The railroaders I've talked to say tehy like everything about current GEs (the Dash 9s) better than EMD except for the cabs. Apparently lay-out and visibility and (maybe) ride are better in the EMDs - but I hear the GEs "pull" better and I understand the operating dep[artments like the fuel consumption characteristics of the 4-cycle prime movers in teh GEs better than the 2-cycle plants in the EMDs. Just what I'v heard, and I may have misunderstood things.

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #64 on: Dec 9th, 2005, 10:39pm »

I agree with what you said. Im the post before yours I said that "emd has a better reputation but that may change". Since EMD was sold by GM, who knows were it will go. Althougj EMD sold the most succesful diesel on the market, the SD-40's. But I like how modern the Dash 9's look and they are very fuel efficient. GE will most likely take the lead in Locomotive production in the US. I like EMD and GE. 2 cycle diesel engine rev up more quickly and produce power more quickly but wear out faster. The 4 cycle diesels are meant for hard work and produce much more torque and better fuel economy.

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2005, 10:41pm by NKP759fan » Logged

Dan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #65 on: Dec 19th, 2005, 10:31pm »

BNSF's cool! Dash 9's are 4000 HP I think. I rarely see their locomotives, the other day though I cuaght a C30-7 in the Heritage 1 paint. I do however not care for thier new logo. They assemble cars near my house and have spotted numerous trains of just cars in the "Wedgie" paint. I love H1, and 2 though.

Gif from Frograil

Known by CSX crews in NW Georgia as "that kid". Avid MSTS/Trainz/RTC Simmer.
Adam17
Former Member

« Reply #66 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 6:08pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

You all are a bunch of big babies! Stop complaining, since you can't do a thing about. It was BNSF Railways' Decision, not yours! Personally, I LIKE IT. That's right! I Like it! And so what if it say BNSF "RAILWAY". It means the SAME EXACT THING as "RAILROAD". Like RBMN's Lehigh Gorge Scenic RAILWAY. That doesn't stop me from liking the place, or the railroad. And Mike, just because you ain't a fan of GE, you can't say the Dash 9 is crap. GE is ahead of the compition, which in my mind is good, cause I love GE. I LIKE the new Evolution Locos. EMD is nice, but when have you seen thier new engine on the front of Popular Mechanics magazine? Hmm... no GP30's there, just GE's Evolution. Getting back on track, I just gotta say you all need to grow up. The new logo symbolizes the BNSF is the best in the business, and that they're fast, reliable, and at a resonable cost. I think I've said enough.....

« Last Edit: Dec 21st, 2005, 6:09pm by adam17 » Logged
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #67 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 6:50pm »

Adam chill out, thats why we have these forums, it gives us a chance to talk and voice what we think. Of course the CEO's at BNSF arent going to listen, but we can. Oh and by the way....It sucks, big pumpkins running the rails, But like i read back on page 1 soon you'll be lucky to catch anything other then UP yellow, CN red, BNSF orange, and possibly some NS black. Maybe its time to start following short lines...Oh wait CN just bought out my local short line. the B&LE.....now that i think of it, watching trains today is like following sport,,,,enjoy a player while you can,,,,free agency  and $  will take them soon

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Mark_Foster
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 9:30pm »

Adam I couldn't agree with you more. The new BNSF logo symbolizes speed and progress, two attributes of the nation's premier railroad. As far as "Railway" is concerned, many of our old roads were called this. For example the late, great Southern RAILWAY System.  

Towny, you'll be seeing grey and red KCS and KCSdeMexico units around for a long time to come.

Mark

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #69 on: Dec 21st, 2005, 11:10pm »

Hey mark..,.. from the east cost so i really dont know much about the KCS, but dosent it seem like UP could force KCS in a hostile take over....thats a big market with mexico.I for one hate seeing large railroads taking over everything, but when $ is the bottom line how long can these smaller roads hold on?...ok sorry getting of the subject.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
DannyR

BNSF_ES44DC_7633_mod.jpg - 50152 Bytes
« Reply #70 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 1:59pm »

This is my first catch of a BNSF locomotive with the new logo.

ES44DC #7633 along with another BNSF GE lead NS 172 through the misty morning fog at Landis, NC.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BNSF/BNSF_ES44DC_7633_mod.jpg
Click Image to Resize

espeefoamer
Railfan

« Reply #71 on: Jan 23rd, 2006, 6:16pm »

This new BNSF logo beats the dreaded PennCentral Worms in Love logo but not by much. I HATE IT!!!!!

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #72 on: Jan 25th, 2006, 6:03pm »

Go back to Santa Fe Warbonnets in red and silver, with a cigar band front logo. You can put teh swoosh on the side (in bright red) if you have to.

Alternate - go to the old Santa Fe/Espee "Kodak" scheme with BNSF reporting marks.

Just about anything but NS Black would be an improvement on this. JMO.

BNSFrailfan.

« Reply #73 on: Jan 27th, 2006, 9:11pm »

on Dec 21st, 2005, 6:08pm, Adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You all are a bunch of big babies! Stop complaining, since you can't do a thing about. It was BNSF Railways' Decision, not yours! Personally, I LIKE IT. That's right! I Like it! And so what if it say BNSF "RAILWAY". It means the SAME EXACT THING as "RAILROAD". Like RBMN's Lehigh Gorge Scenic RAILWAY. That doesn't stop me from liking the place, or the railroad. And Mike, just because you ain't a fan of GE, you can't say the Dash 9 is crap. GE is ahead of the compition, which in my mind is good, cause I love GE. I LIKE the new Evolution Locos. EMD is nice, but when have you seen thier new engine on the front of Popular Mechanics magazine? Hmm... no GP30's there, just GE's Evolution. Getting back on track, I just gotta say you all need to grow up. The new logo symbolizes the BNSF is the best in the business, and that they're fast, reliable, and at a resonable cost. I think I've said enough.....
AMEN!  

Allan Love Jr
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New BNSF Logo-to BNSF Railfan

« Reply #74 on: Jan 31st, 2006, 3:50pm »

Whoa up there - most folks who railfan, any road, are driven at least partially by nostalgia and a liking for the "way things were". That includes not, maybe, being happy with changes. In names, logos, the way teh engines are painted, or the places the trains run and the schedules. Or maybe it means being ahppy with changes as "different strokes for different folks" applies.

Me - I'd like to see a lot of things change - change back - but it ain't gonna happen and I'll enjoy what i can see as best I can. But that wom't stop me from saying I'd like to see some things change to older ways I deem would be better ones. Without apology. I'm not too pleased with teh current paint jobs, but at least teh BNSF runs a good railroad, however they have painted the locomotives taht pull the trains.

chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #75 on: Feb 1st, 2006, 1:11am »

Whoa... leave a thread for awhile and this is what you come back to!

While I don't necessarily hate BNSF, I indeed despise the change of the logo.  It's not so bad in and of itself, but when comparing it to the other BNSF schemes I've seen, to me it's just so bland.  

I think we all have a right here to not like something.  And if some of us are crybabies for wishing things were different, then we all have to be crybabies about something.  How many of us don't like when steam disappeared?  How many of us don't like that cabeese are a thing of the past?  How many of us don't like that there are so many fallen flags?  We may not all agree on what we dislike, but we surely have the right to do so.

Whether it's the new BNSF logo, BNSF itself, or even the fact that a steam engine on a local shortline or tourist road is being sent to pasture... there's something that all of us don't like.  So to call someone a crybaby for that is a little like casting the first stone when you're living in a glass house.

I don't necessarily like to feel like I'm on a soapbox, but I surely don't like seeing something like what's above.  This forum isn't like that, and that's what's always made it so great.  We can all express how we feel about a topic without being attacked.  So I just get disheartened to see something go against that.

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2006, 1:16am by chessie8212 » Logged

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
Charlie_O
Historian
  BNSF_5750_swoosh.jpg - 172028 Bytes
« Reply #76 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:21pm »

Was surprised to see a Swoosh helping out on NS train 14G eastbound on the Harrisburg Line.  Apologies for the bad angle...

Danny, your pic is much better.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BNSF/BNSF_5750_swoosh.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
MH765
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:28pm »

on Dec 21st, 2005, 6:08pm, Adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You all are a bunch of big babies!

Woah, calm down Adam.
And Mike, just because you ain't a fan of GE, you can't say the Dash 9 is crap. GE is ahead of the compition, which in my mind is good, cause I love GE.

I can say GE sucks. Nothing can change my opinion. EMD is better.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #78 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 8:57pm »

Well, I must echo Chessie8212's sentiments on leaving this thread for a while and look at it now. I find most of the arguments on here fascinating, and have a few thoughts to add.

Initially, as you'll see towards the beginning of this thread, I was against the logo, but I have warmed up to it over the last few months, and now rather like it.

Lets face it, most of the arguments against the logo can be summed up in one sentence: "It's not the way it was." Fact is, we are moving into the future whether we like it or not. Do I miss the Santa Fe? Yes, but I like the BNSF more than I ever liked the Santa Fe. When BNSF was formed in the late 90's, they made one HUGE mistake. They made the new name Burlington Northern Santa Fe. For the first few years, there was tension between the Santa Fe and the Burlington Northern people, before Krebs finally put his foot down and said that they worked for the BNSF, not the Burlington Northern or the Santa Fe, and got the railroad working together as a team. Switching the company name to BNSF Railway does a fairly decent job of obliterating the company's past, and the potential to divide the company men into the Burlington Northern or the Santa Fe camp. They're all BNSF men now.

As for the logo, well, that goes along with what I was just saying. The lamenters of the H1 and H2 schemes main points are that the logo and the cigar band remind them of the Santa Fe. What sort of message does that send about company unity if the locomotives will all remind employees of the Santa Fe? Therefore, the new logo was needed, and I think the Swoosh will do just fine. For those arguing against it's inginuity, we're talking about a railrway here, not a graphic arts design company. You don't need a fancy logo to move freight.

Don't you guys worry. BNSF is around 10 years old or so right now, and there's still plenty of yellow-bonnets, war-bonnets, green-wienies, executive scheme, H1 and H2's running around, and will continue to be over the coming years. Don't hate on BNSF because they are a company and are doing necessary things to ensure they can continue to grow and be successful. Besides, a bad logo is better than no trains at all.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #79 on: Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:32pm »

zwsplac-

Well said.  I've warmed up to it a bit as well.  Although I still like the old cigar band and circle logo better.  

While I completely understand and agree that companies change as they move forward, railfanning is 90% nostalgia.  So those guys who grew up seeing the ATSF and the Burlington have a good enough reason to not like the change.  

For me, it'd be like Norfolk Southern, a railroad I grew up around (and the railroad that pretty much got me into railfanning thanks to a friendly local crew when I was just a little kid), changing it's name to just NS Railway and altering it's NS Speed Lettering and colors.  It's not what I remember from so many years growing up.

I still don't like it compared to the other BNSF logos, but I have to say I'm glad the engines are still bright orange.  I'm glad I'm seeing as many BNSF units as I am on the NS through Toledo, I'm getting many chances to catch the logos I love.

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »