Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 4:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New BNSF Logo
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   New BNSF Logo
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New BNSF Logo  (Read 3621 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian
Re: New BNSF Logo

« Reply #20 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 7:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

This is good we are now 1 RR the BNSF Railway the logo could be better.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Pyronova

View Profile  

home_logo.gif - 1989 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:25pm »

Well, at first I was, like, Hmmmm.........

It does make the loco apear to be motion, unlike the majority of UP equipment  

They still have a paint scheme very simular, if not the modern Great Northern Empire scheme, so that is very ok by me.....

The old Santa Fe cross always came across like a viking's sheild....1000 years out of date.  And whenever I hear or read "Atchison, Topika & Santa Fe" I always envision a narrow guage railway with steamers that are about to fall apart like in an old Mickey Mouse cartoon.

And really, do Railroads need to have a colour scheme?  Look at any of the Interstate trucks on the road today....    Do you recognize any of them/their paint schemes?   And, as most of us know/have seen, most units are either leased or have a 15 year old paint scheme anyways.   Just yesterday I saw leaving Surrey BC, a lash of 3 SD-40s, leading was a BN (Green & White) followed by a Blue/Yellow Santa Fe, followed by a dark blue MRL (Montana Raillink).  I can guarantee that I was probably the only person waiting at the crossing who even noticed.

I say let them all wear primer grey!     (evil)LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL !!!!!!

Better yet, all wear Candy Apple CP red!      

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BNSF/home_logo.gif
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:29pm by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

BNSFrailfan.

« Reply #22 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 9:25pm »

on Jan 25th, 2005, 6:59pm, Alco83 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Change indeed, John.  Gone forever is the old official title of Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.  Its all initials now.

Like CSX, for BNSF now it’s initials only

TRAINS:  FORT WORTH, Texas – One of the most often-asked questions by TRAINS readers is, “What does CSX stand for?” And while the answer is officially “nothing,” it has its roots in C for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X for expansion, reflecting the early 1980’s merger that created the large eastern railroad system.

Western rail giant BNSF now is taking the same tack, ending the flickering debate on whether to call it the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, or the officially correct Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway. (Although parent Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. has no “and” or ampersand, the railway did.)

As of yesterday, though, the railway does not. It is now, officially, “BNSF Railway,” as announced by Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. chairman, president, and CEO Matt Rose at the New York Stock Exchange as he rang the end-of-trading bell. The full corporate parent name Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. will remain, as will its ticker symbol.  

The new identify reflects what you see on the locomotives — four letters. Gone is the cumbersome four-word name, none of which either partner in the 1995 merger could bear to discard. Gone too, is the traditional Santa Fe-style emblem, replaced by the four letters, plus “Railway,” as pictured here. Remaining, apparently, are the corporate colors, inspired by the old Great Northern (on locomotives) and Santa Fe (on cars).  

The new identity will be phased in, and, although it’s already on the BNSF Web site, will gradually begin appearing on locomotives and other rolling stock, stationery, signage, logo merchandise, and other promotional items.  
Now I fully understand WHY the BNSF did what they did,Thank you so much for the info. I truly love the BNSF Railway.

Allan Love Jr
chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #23 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:07am »

I just think the whole thing is TOO modern.  Railroads have an age quality to them that can't be matched by other forms of transportation.  This just seems like a horrible idea for a way to "keep up with the times".  Yes, it's important for railroads to solidify their positions in a modern market, but you can't take away the fact that they're one of the oldest forms of transportation we have.  There's a tradition there, a quality that can't be really pointed out, but you KNOW it's there.  It doesn't look bad as a logo.  But as soon as you start throwing that thing on locomotives...

One word comes to mind...
Fugly...

« Last Edit: Jan 26th, 2005, 12:08am by chessie8212 » Logged

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
cmstpps
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Jan 26th, 2005, 5:34pm »

Just my 2 cents worth.

I came to BNSF after the merger so don't really have an allegience one way or the other (BN vs ATSF) although one sure got the opinion the ATSF side was much more represented.  Look at the logo they just got ride off, its an ATSF logo with a green sripe around it.
My first reaction to the new logo was that it wasn't all that imaginative.  My second was I bet some New York consulting firm made a bundle on this, and ate Filet Mignon in the business cars parked out in front of the Ft Worth HQ and sipped expensive brandies.  
Then I thought, it was simple but kind of cool in a simple way.  The company should be (as in any company)proud of their past and acknowlege it, but they must look ahead also.  

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #25 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 4:24pm »

I think that logo would look great on a race car  

It's different looking , almost kind of reminds me of mayybe the RIO Grande logo or some old logo , I dunno , it's almost like I seen that design somewhere before .

www.thecutline.com
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #26 on: Jan 28th, 2005, 4:45pm »

I can't avoid being a bit saddened by the passing of the last recognizable vestiges of Santa Fe-- it's a bit like finding out your old elementary school has been torn down to make way for a freeway.

But will give 'em this:  At least BNSF retained (and, in many ways, revived for a decade or so) the heritages of their largest component lines.  Most mergers and absorptions have sought to do away with the older symbols as fast as the equipment could be repainted.  I have no doubt that many NYC, Pennsylvania, Erie, B&O, and other partisans had felt unceremoniously "dumped" by unfolding events, and fans of various lines acquired by UP might be forgiven a bit of secret satisfaction at UP's subsequent bouts of indigestion.

So I say Thank You, BNSF, for the smooth transition.  You didn't have to do it that way, but I'm glad you did.

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2005, 12:42pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
fragraf
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 1:28am »

on Jan 24th, 2005, 7:23pm, Mark_Foster wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I like the new logo. It is modern looking and, to me at least, suggests speed. Far better than the circle with the cross in it that the BNSF used for some purposes before.

Suggests speed??  uphill slow, downhill fast, tonnage first, safety last...

sorry, just had to get that in.....

Take pics, have fun...Never Foul A Track
fragraf
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #28 on: Jan 29th, 2005, 1:43am »

on Jan 25th, 2005, 6:59pm, Alco83 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Change indeed, John.  Gone forever is the old official title of Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.  Its all initials now.

Like CSX, for BNSF now it’s initials only

Of the hundred or so railroaders in Detroit on the NS, I have never heard anyone refer to CSX as the CSX....we call it the C&O....In Georgia, a few weeks ago, a old head said "Burlington" to refer to BNSF.....

I guess they can change the logo and the name, but can they really change our "hearts and minds?"

Take pics, have fun...Never Foul A Track
BNSFrailfan.

« Reply #29 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 8:02pm »

Long live the BNSF Railway.
BNSFrailfan.

Allan Love Jr
CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #30 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 8:24pm »

I don't think it looks that bad  

www.thecutline.com
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #31 on: Feb 1st, 2005, 8:38pm »

on Feb 1st, 2005, 8:24pm, CN5710 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I don't think it looks that bad  

Were the NIKE Railway lol

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #32 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:57am »

on Feb 1st, 2005, 8:38pm, BNSF_1088 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Were the NIKE Railway lol

Could be worse  

www.thecutline.com
trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:06pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2005, 11:57am, CN5710 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Could be worse  

I s'pose it could - if they relocated the railroad to China to cut labor costs...

- Bob

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:49pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:06pm, trainwatcher1100 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I s'pose it could - if they relocated the railroad to China to cut labor costs...

- Bob

I wouldn't put it past them

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Hulka
Railfan

« Reply #35 on: Feb 4th, 2005, 3:26pm »

I live by Phoenix Arizona and a BNSF line runs by me.  I will be sitting out there somemore now trying to take a picture of the new LOGO.  I think it looks good. Is this new logo out now or going into effect soon?  There are still some of the older logos out there.  I saw what looked like a freshly painted Yellow & Black Santa Fe engine today heading down the tracks.  I will shoot a picture of it and post it.

Kevin

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2005, 3:28pm by Hulka » Logged
M19AA
Chaser

« Reply #36 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 11:53pm »

This is a very nice improvement over the old one that looked like it came off of a 1st aid kit.

WC7505
TRAINing

« Reply #37 on: Feb 20th, 2005, 7:28pm »

For all of you out there that are worried about this new logo getting around quickly ...................Relax! There are still ATSF unpatched locos out there from almost 10 years ago. So i dought you will see this logo in large quantities until 2008 or 9.Personally i HATE this logo.

Alec

NKP759fan
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #38 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 7:32pm »

I don't think the Scheme is to bad. Compared to CP's blood red locomotives.

Nickel Plate Road "Berkshire" #759
Built: August 1944
Builder: Lima Locomotives Works
Driver diameter: 69 inches
Boiler Pressure: 245
Coal: 22 tons
Water: 22,000 gallons
Retired: 1958
Used on the famous High Iron Excursions
http://www.cr.nps.gov/history/online_books/steamtown/shs2o.htm
Coffee
Historian
  BNSF_7687.jpg - 57783 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Mar 5th, 2005, 8:14pm »

7687 came through Willard, Ohio this morning. Tom Boylan caught the unit there and sent the photos out ASAP. Posted with his permission.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BNSF/BNSF_7687.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »