Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 25th, 2017, 12:23am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New BNSF Logo
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   New BNSF Logo
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New BNSF Logo  (Read 3620 times)
Conrail6707
Historian
View Profile  

New BNSF Logo

« on: Jan 24th, 2005, 6:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Looks terrible. http://www.bnsf.com/news/articles/2005/01/2005_01_24a.html?index=/news/index.html

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Re: New BNSF Logo

« Reply #1 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:07pm »

on Jan 24th, 2005, 6:40pm, dougal wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Looks terrible. http://www.bnsf.com/news/articles/2005/01/2005_01_24a.html?index=/news/index.html

Thats stupid looking   looks like a stupid thing from a car company or a info comercail now all it needs is 'New and Approved'
I like the old one alot more than i'll ever like this one

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
FL9
Chaser
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:12pm »

Just think! Now BNSF has a name and emblem that's almost as boring as "CSX."  

NS 21Z, clear CP102, two west, out
Mark_Foster
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:23pm »

I like the new logo. It is modern looking and, to me at least, suggests speed. Far better than the circle with the cross in it that the BNSF used for some purposes before.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:56pm »

Ummmm....it's not April 1st, so this is serious, right?  

How long did the graphic design team work on it?  My guess, if they started at 9am, they were ordering take-out by 11:30. And wouldn't it look better on a pair of sneakers?

Well, it certainly gives new meaning to the phrase "corporate sterility."  Kinda like when Ma Bell became "Verizon."  

The cross in the circle, by the way, is based on the Zia, a Navajo sun symbol (check out the NM state flag for a truer interpretation), and its departure brushes away the last of the once great Santa Fe.

Ack.

-Charlie

« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2005, 8:00pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
NYSW3001
TRAINing

« Reply #5 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 7:56pm »

One word YUK!!!

zwsplac
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 8:35pm »

That is not going as my avatar.

I seriously don't like the looks of that. It looks like something I'd design, and I'm the worst graphic designer on the planet! The arrow on the right side of the engine needs to point the other way I think, and the logo just doesn't look good placed on the front of the engine. Needs to be symmetrical to get away with that.

Editor of frograil.com's Kansas, Missouri, and Nebraska Railfan Pages
Visit them at frograil.com

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:03pm »

I don't like it either .  I'm a stickler for most railroad's old logos, this is a perfect example

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #8 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:05pm »

Hey! One more color scheme to look for on BNSF along with the ones already around.

If you want uniformity, watch the UP, CSX, NS where their locos are all painted the same.  How many can you watch before looking for something different?

Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 9:12pm »

I agree, that logo takes away all thought of BNSF being at least something of it's past that included the Santa Fe and Burlington Northern.    Well, at least being an easterner , unless there's some leased power i'll be seeing CSX and NS units instead of this ugly logo on BNSF engines.  

Cy

Go Braves!

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jan 24th, 2005, 11:49pm »

That damn thing IS UGLY

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 1:20am »

After seeing it, I will NEVER complain about CP dual flags again.  Ugly is an understatement.  PS. I hope they didn't actually part with real money for it.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 5:12am »

After FRISCO got buried in BN, who cares?  Seriously, if this is the main thing that gets you wound up, you need to get a more important cause to consume you passions.  Actually, it look pretty good on the side.  The other Santa Fe based symbol looks better on the nose.

George

Roger_Hensley
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 8:24am »

Ok, it's different. So..?  
It certainly isn't that bad. BN is gone, SF is gone and BNSF has replaced it.

Yep, get the photos of the old scheme, but look forward to catching the new one as it comes by. I was fortunate enough to catch some of the early new BNSF locos in new paint with no lettering as they came though Anderson. Think of the opportunities.

PS - I loved Conrail, too, but it's gone, and I've learned to live with it and to expect CSX to become UP yellow nearly any day now.

Roger Hensley kc9eji

Railroads of Madison County - http://madisonrails.railfan.net/
Two23
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 10:08am »

Relax, people.  Consider this.  Yesterday I drove ~150 miles along BNSF tracks in the eastern part of my state and saw two trains and a couple of engines on a side track.  I saw some Geeps in pumpkin paint, a -9 in Sante Fe red/silver, a -9 in pumpkin paint, a Geep in green/white BN paint, a blue/yellow GP 7 in Sante Fe scheme, and a blue/white EMD 9000 series leaser.    So they have yet another paint scheme.  It will be replaced in a year or two.  I shoot BNSF all the time, and I don't think I have any photos of a lash up that has all the same engines.  

Kent in SD

Kent in SD
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 3:28pm »

I don't think the fans are consumed by the passing of a logo to the point of being unhealthy (or needing to get a life) as much as missing the old time logos. It's not the main focus of fanning but yet another part of it that's going away and we're just sorry to see it go that's all. I didn't like losing the Taco Bell Dog or the Hatfield Pig but I'm not losing sleep over it I just didn't care for the new one. Same here, I like the old logos best...  

It's an opinion not an obsession...

imo...

Jim...

John C. Durant
Former Member

« Reply #16 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 4:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

The only thing constant is change... Do I like it? Not really, but I'm not afraid of it. Lets see Erie + DL&W = EL. EL, PC, RDG, CNJ, LV and L&HR = CR and on and on and on. I see it as just a progression. This too shall pass.  
I see one and I'll photograph it, just like anything else trains.
John D.

jdstew
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #17 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 4:24pm »

The Customer's perspective-

My employer is a consignee of BNSF...we receive PVC tanks from Georgia Gulf. To us, BNSF is THE MOST reliable RR of the Class Ones. Their Internmodal service is the best in the biz and Matt Rose knows TRANSPORTATION. I was able to participate on an industry conference call a few months ago in which Matt was a scheduled speaker. Say what you wna tabout this and that...but BNSF has got it right! Besides, UP revenue declined 86% YOY from 2003...BNSF posted record earnings....

JE Stewart, loving the New Logo!

JE Stewart
BNSFrailfan.

« Reply #18 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 5:33pm »

Ahh,I can't complain! Other than the Nose looks realy Dull & Boring.
I still like the BNSF very much .

Allan Love Jr
Alco83

« Reply #19 on: Jan 25th, 2005, 6:59pm »

Change indeed, John.  Gone forever is the old official title of Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway.  Its all initials now.

Like CSX, for BNSF now it’s initials only

TRAINS:  FORT WORTH, Texas – One of the most often-asked questions by TRAINS readers is, “What does CSX stand for?” And while the answer is officially “nothing,” it has its roots in C for Chessie, S for Seaboard, and X for expansion, reflecting the early 1980’s merger that created the large eastern railroad system.

Western rail giant BNSF now is taking the same tack, ending the flickering debate on whether to call it the Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railway, or the officially correct Burlington Northern & Santa Fe Railway. (Although parent Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. has no “and” or ampersand, the railway did.)

As of yesterday, though, the railway does not. It is now, officially, “BNSF Railway,” as announced by Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. chairman, president, and CEO Matt Rose at the New York Stock Exchange as he rang the end-of-trading bell. The full corporate parent name Burlington Northern Santa Fe Corp. will remain, as will its ticker symbol.  

The new identify reflects what you see on the locomotives — four letters. Gone is the cumbersome four-word name, none of which either partner in the 1995 merger could bear to discard. Gone too, is the traditional Santa Fe-style emblem, replaced by the four letters, plus “Railway,” as pictured here. Remaining, apparently, are the corporate colors, inspired by the old Great Northern (on locomotives) and Santa Fe (on cars).  

The new identity will be phased in, and, although it’s already on the BNSF Web site, will gradually begin appearing on locomotives and other rolling stock, stationery, signage, logo merchandise, and other promotional items.  

« Last Edit: Jan 25th, 2005, 7:00pm by Alco83 » Logged

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »