Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 6:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BN in Vancouver, BC
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   BN in Vancouver, BC
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BN in Vancouver, BC  (Read 1504 times)
canpa
TRAINing
BN in Vancouver, BC

« on: Oct 21st, 2004, 7:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Some years ago I was traveling aboard VIA Rail's The Canadian from Toronto to Vancouver.  As we pulled into Vancouver we passed through various yards and industrial spurs.  One of which had several parked BN power units.  At the time I did not know BN (this was just before the BN/Santa fe merger) had tracks into Vancouver.
Can anyone expand upon the present activity BNSF into the lower mainland of BC?  Who do they interchange with, what power is found their, what level of activity?
Any pics from pre-merger in and around Vancouver would be great.
Thank you.

CP8673
Historian
View Profile  

Re: BN in Vancouver, BC

« Reply #1 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 10:44am »

They interchange with both CN and CP at New Westminster, they also have another interchange with CP at Huntingdon BC/ Sumas WA

AmtrakFanIL
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2004, 10:53pm »

I believe BNSF has 4 Trains each way from what I hear on another Board.

AmtrakFanIL

Operations_Manager
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2004, 6:53pm »

The place to see BNSF trains is at New Westminister, where BNSF have Briad Yard. It gets busy at times, with switchers (MP1500's, painted in both green and pumpkin colours) running here and there with transfers etc. Some still use vans. And easy to photograph from public property. Most of the big power sits, just to the north of the BNSF New Westminster station, which is now used as a yard office.

missthealcos
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 27th, 2004, 11:43pm »

Apart from New West, the trackage into downtown Vancouver from New West is owned by BNSF. Via, Amtrak and CN use it to access there respective facilities in the Terminal St. Area(and the Vancover waterfront for CN).  
I've always found it a bit odd that the only access is a foriegn road, but it's always been that way. There were once much more major BN facilities immediatley North of the Via station, which was all removed 10+ years ago, and now sits mostly vacant. There are still 3(not including Via) yards in the area, all in close proximity to eachother. The BNSF offices and servicing area are at the junction to all 3 yards(under the skytrain at the beginning of the Grandview cut), with 2 shop tracks. Road power can be just about anything, before the merger it was almost exclusively SD40-2's, with GP38/-2's and GP39-2's occasionally. Since the merger I have seen everything from C30-7's to ATSF GP30's and everything in between. About the only thing I have never sen or heard about would be an SD9 showing up. Yard power in Vancouver proper is the same 3 ex GN SW1200's that have been here since the early-mid '80s, all now in BNSF paint I believe(2 for sure). The New West yard is home to a pair of SW1000's, also long term residents....both models can be seen in both areas from time to time.

« Last Edit: Oct 27th, 2004, 11:49pm by missthealcos » Logged
Pyronova

View Profile  

BNSF_sw1500_3450_a.jpg - 321391 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15th, 2005, 2:04am »

Here is a few sites you might enjoy looking at for more info:

(History of GN in southern BC)  http://www.vanc.igs.net/~roughley/gn_fv.html

(BNSF Division Maps)                http://www.bnsf.com/about_bnsf/html/division_maps.html   Check out the "zoomed in" section around New Westminster.

As well as CN and CP junctions, they also connect with Southern Railway of BC; a sister to Montana Raillink; ex BC Hydro at Braid and Fraser River Jct.   http://www.sryraillink.com/    as well as exchange at Huntington/Sumas. Anyone curious of where all the SRY boxcars on the I-5 corridor come from, they come from this road.   Also, prior to the CN "theft" of BC Rail   ; at Braid was also the exchange point.    

The Fraser River Bridge (opened in 1904) is very interesting as CN, CP, Via, BNSF, SRY and Amtrak all use it; and the trestle approaches and lines running under are a modeler's dream! (or nightmare!   )   It would be great to see an aieral view of the area!

Also attached is a pic I took in April 2004 of the 2 orange units they have here regularly.  3450 is an ex GN SW1500 (204) and the other is an ex NP unit.  They also have 2 green beasts (sw1200) here also...I will have to update you with their numbers later....I think they are of the 3600 number series though.....

Apparantly crews are from Everett, WA for the main run to Braid; get rest and turn around home.  I don't know who runs the local switchers though.

Also, north of the VIA Rail station (ex CN) in Vancouver, BC used to be the GN Station of a slightly smaller size. GN's and Canadian Northern's Yards ran parallel to each other - east/west - and connected at now CN Jct. Empire Builder Jim Hill built the line from Fraser River Jct. over the new bridge in 1904 to Vancouver, not only to compete with CP; but also as an exchange for other rail running rights with then Canadian Northern (Mackenzie and Mann) in other places in BC; and now Canadian National has retained those running rights from Fraser River Jct.; 100 years and counting.

Hope some of this helps!

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (321391 bytes, 1280x960 pixels)

Click Here to View Image BNSF_sw1500_3450_a.jpg - 321391 Bytes

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2005, 2:16am by Pyronova » Logged

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

torch
Historian

« Reply #6 on: May 4th, 2005, 8:56am »

anybody know what time of the day bnsf comes into the downtown vancouver yard?  there used to always be road power sitting at the engine facility but now its just the switchers. they are always hopping about and busy but i never catch the road power there anymore. does cn now transfer all the bnsf cars from new west and the bnsf switchers just handle the yard chores and waterfront?thanks.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #7 on: May 5th, 2005, 9:13pm »

The Railway Conductor course is at the Great Northern Way campus, right next to the BNSF Vancouver yard, I usually see them switching on my way to class around 08:30 AM. They usually have 2 or 3 SW1200's.

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2005, 9:14pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
cn2220
Historian

« Reply #8 on: May 5th, 2005, 9:20pm »

on Feb 15th, 2005, 2:04am, Pyronova wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Apparantly crews are from Everett, WA for the main run to Braid; get rest and turn around home.  I don't know who runs the local switchers though.

BNSF has crews based out of Braid for the local switchers, we had a local BNSF conductor talk to our class a month ago. She says the American crews run as far as Braid, but sometimes they have to send a Canadian crew to White Rock to pick up or drop off a train.  

« Last Edit: May 5th, 2005, 9:25pm by cn2220 » Logged

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #9 on: May 6th, 2005, 6:03pm »

ya...thats not what im talking about.   what im saying is that up untill about a year ago,there was bnsf road power right into the vancouver yard. i see the switchers everyday.  what i do NOT see is the road power. I wanted to know if the switchers now handle transfers between vancouver and braid or does cn do that now? Maybe i just am never around at the right time to see the bnsf trains come in to van from new west.

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #10 on: May 6th, 2005, 7:39pm »

I would assume they use the switchers on transfer moves, although they did have a GP of some sort the other day.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 7th, 2005, 8:03am »

well,they used to have road power and it was always seen sitting with the switcher in the "shops" under the sky train at the beginning of the granview cut.  ive seen gp 30s,40s,38s,39-2s you get the idea. and the six  axel power of every description.  alas....gone? at least we can watch the switchers go off to the water front and switch the barge!

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: May 7th, 2005, 5:38pm »

on May 7th, 2005, 8:03am, torch wrote:       (Click here for original message)
well,they used to have road power and it was always seen sitting with the switcher in the "shops" under the sky train at the beginning of the granview cut.  ive seen gp 30s,40s,38s,39-2s you get the idea. and the six  axel power of every description.  alas....gone? at least we can watch the switchers go off to the water front and switch the barge!

On the way home past the Braid Station at night, I usually see 3 road power units parked w/o any cars.  I have not be fortunate enough to be able to watch whether they take consist through to Terminal Yards or not.
The road units in the past years are usually of the SD90/GE4400 catagories; and usually are a mixed bag of paint schemes.  
Very rarely are the road power SD40 or rebuilts; and even more rare is all units the same paint scheme- usually 2 "pumpkin" and a silver Santa Fe "Bandit".  I have seen 3 green BN SD40 type units together once in 2 years.
I have seen MRL, CN, CP and NS leasers as well.

Hope this answered none of your question(s) and created 1000 more.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

torch
Historian

« Reply #13 on: May 7th, 2005, 6:03pm »

cool.   about the pst,i was talking about throo the 90s...there were TONS of geeps.  but later on and up until recently,it was mostly 6 axle GE units in the downtown yard terminal. im glad i got to see all those different geeps when i could.  especially the gp 30s! and 39s(gp30 rebuilds)!!!!!!

torch
Historian
  still_home_344.jpg - 346744 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Sep 28th, 2005, 6:13am »

sd-9. 6143. its one of the current switchers in new west.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (346744 bytes, 2300x1500 pixels)

Click Here to View Image still_home_344.jpg - 346744 Bytes

cn2220
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Sep 29th, 2005, 10:12pm »

Hey Moka, there were three SD40-2's and a caboose sitting beind BCIT(Great Northern Way) today. They were there when I got to BCIT in the morning and were still sitting there wehen I left.

Tyler

Long live the GE`s!!!!
torch
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 3:01am »

thank goodness.   i was starting to think that they never brought the road power into downtown vancouver anymore. every single time i go down to their 'engine shops' there, all i ever see is 2 or 3  sw-900s

torch
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Sep 30th, 2005, 11:23pm »

well, went down there around dinner time today and there is 3 sd-40-2s in the engine pit. good to see that. maybe there was  a different arrangement for getting the trains downtown for awhile.now it looks to be back to normal....for the mean time. no caboose though.   anybody else out there following the bnsf operations into the downtown yard here in vancouver bc?

pictues
TRAINing

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17th, 2007, 11:20am »

Well i believe there is a SD 9 in New west now in april as BNSF put it on the Royal Hudson excursion for insurance reasons and to protect if the royal hudson broke down

BCR 706
Historian
View Profile  

HPIM1608_Taken_on_April_15_2007_1030x768.jpg - 158319 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Apr 30th, 2007, 1:01am »

You are right pictues, there is an SD9 in Vancouver now. Number 1724. I see it all the time when I go to the New Westminster yard.

Here is a picture of it on the Royal Hudson Trip to White Rock. Taken brom the beach looking up at it sitting in the station with CPR 4069 (museum locomotive now) in front of it and 2860 at the lead. On April 15, 2007.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (158319 bytes, 1030x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image HPIM1608_Taken_on_April_15_2007_1030x768.jpg - 158319 Bytes

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »