Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 27th, 2017, 1:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BNSF JOBS
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   BNSF JOBS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BNSF JOBS  (Read 2653 times)
RogerThornhill
TRAINing
Re: BNSF JOBS

« Reply #20 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 9:04am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Right,

Here on the Springfield sub of BNSF you have to work as a trainman (conductor/brakeman/utilityman) for at least a year before you can volunteer.  The volunteers are taken based on seniority, so you have to have enough seniority to outbid others to get the position if there are too many volunteers.

RogerThornhill
TRAINing
End of the 9th week

« Reply #21 on: Sep 23rd, 2007, 8:37am »

All going great.  Will be spending some time on the road now.  I can say, this career choice was the right one.  There's a lot of good people out here.  I love the job.  A month ago or so, we put together a 9000 Ft. + train.  Out on the TRANSCON they're putting together 10000+ ft. long trains!  And we're (BNSF) one of two roads that are starting experiments with electric brake controls.  There are a lot of cool things going on!    

Conductor tests have all gone well, just like the ones we took at NARS (not the exact same test, but they're alike, same kind of number of questions and so forth), so there have been no surprises.   By mid December we'll be marked up.  Things will be slowing down then but with all the retirements happening here we should still be working close to or beyond full tilt.

RogerThornhill
TRAINing
It's November - Love the job

« Reply #22 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 10:30am »

Finished Hostler and RCO test, and rules test.  Did well on all, so we're on to RCO and Hostler training for a few more weeks, then it's mark up time.  Love the job, it was the right thing to do!

RogerThornhill
TRAINing
Hostler training now

« Reply #23 on: Nov 26th, 2007, 7:06am »

Down to just a couple weeks left before we mark up.  All the tests are done.  The training I had at NARS really helped prepare me for them.  Now we're doing hostler training.  I do like being in the right hand seat.  This is for me!  The first chance they give me to go to be promoted to engineer I'm going for it, don't care where I need to go.  

Love the railroad, it's a great life.

Everyone have a good holiday!

WA._BNSF_fan
TRAINing

« Reply #24 on: Aug 31st, 2008, 11:41am »

i wouldnt be to keen on the furlough idea...  

WA._BNSF_fan
TRAINing

« Reply #25 on: Sep 10th, 2008, 7:38pm »

10 new openings in vancouver washington...about 45-50 miles from where i live now.  but im already planning to relocate to the vancouver area.

conductor trainee, starts dec 1 2008.  somebody please tell me some basics.

how far do you travel? how many days can you be away from home? can you be furloughed from this posistion? how is the pay? etc. etc.  im a huge fan and would love to apply....but i already have 2 beutiful girls and a wife, weve been together 10+ yrs...is it worth it??
  thanks...

RogerThornhill
TRAINing

« Reply #26 on: Sep 25th, 2008, 2:16pm »

Ok,

How far do you travel.  Depends on whether you are on a Conductor's board for through freight, for locals, or if you are on a switchman's board.  If you are on a through freight board, you travel about 200-300 mile, a day, and normally they try and schedule you back the next day.  But that depends on if there is traffic coming back.  If you were on the Transcon, I could assure you that you go out one day and after 8 hours rest you're on your way back, but it will depend on the traffic on the subdivision.  You can ask that.

If you do locals, you will be home every night (or more likely you'll work nights and be home every day).  If you work a switchman's board, the same basically applies.

A day or two on the conductors board is normal, but you can get stuck, at some point after a few days they will dead head you back.  But normally you're down and back in two days.  "Your milage may vary however, just ask during training, and if you don't want to do it, don't bid on a through freight board, and in all likelihood as a trainee you'd NEVER have enough seniority to bid on to it anyway because they normally make big bucks and only the older heads have it.

You can get furloughed from ANY position on the railroad.  The first two years around January you'll probably be furloughed till March, but after that you'll be able to hold a steady job.  You'll make lots of overtime in the summer and fall, so just save and plan for it.

In my opinion the pay is good.  I'm just finishing my first year and I'll easily make $70000.  Lots of guys here in Texas make a lot more.  I work a switchman's position on a yard job.

Sounds like a nice family.  You'll be able to provide for them well.  All the guys I work with have families.  You work 6 days a week in the yard, but one of them is short, but I'm home every night.  On the road jobs, you work 7 on 3 off down here.  On the road you can make a lot more here than in the yard, but I like the steady hours myself.  In my opinion its worth it, I love my job and the people I work with.  It's a very good job, and pays very well.  I'm sure you can find someone who'll complain, there always is someone, but most of the men I work with like what they do and are good people.  I recommend it.  Explain it to your family, and if they support it, then go for it.

tbrusky61
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 2:14pm »

I'd be happy just to get an internship for the summer.  I was hoping I could do that, since I live near the yard in Memphis.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »