Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 11:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

BNSF JOBS
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   BNSF JOBS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: BNSF JOBS  (Read 2651 times)
BNSF_1088
Historian
BNSF JOBS
  olischool.jpg - 12339 Bytes
« on: Jul 30th, 2003, 7:37pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Careers
Are trains your passion?
Do you consider a train whistle a romantic overture? Are you prepared for a life of adventure, whether or not it involves actual travel? Will a 3,500-horsepower engine satisfy your craving for power? If so, you may fit the profile of Team BNSF. Employees of BNSF Railway:  
Keep the nation moving  
Embrace new challenges  
Question conventional wisdom  
Shoulder tremendous responsibility  
Sacrifice personal gain for the greater good  
BNSF Railway provides good pay and benefits, a solid career and cutting-edge technology in a family atmosphere. Matthew Rose, our chairman, president and CEO, sums it up best:  

"Our goal is to create an environment in which BNSF people feel valued, motivated, prepared, challenged, recognized and rewarded for their significant contributions to our Company's success. In this way, we can retain and attract the best people."
In short, BNSF Railway employees are resourceful, approachable, vital and progressive.  

If you have a passion for trains and the lifestyle that accompany them, learn about the different Job Descriptions.  

Get the inside track on an open position or learn more about railroad careers.  Also See...  

To report an emergency on the railroad, call BNSF at 800.832.5452
Terms of Use  /   Privacy Policy  /   Contact Us  /   Site Map  
© 2005 BNSF Railway Company. All Rights Reserved.

Here is the link to the BNSF job listing site just click below.

https://208.169.18.212/clients/bnsf/publicjobs/Canviewjobs.cfm?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BNSF/olischool.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2005, 11:28am by BNSF_1088 » Logged

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

CN5710
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: BNSF JOBS

« Reply #1 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 10:04am »

IF they were taking applications for certified engineers I would send mine in  

www.thecutline.com
BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 9th, 2003, 11:04pm »

on Sep 9th, 2003, 10:04am, CN5710 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
IF they were taking applications for certified engineers I would send mine in  

It is rare that they take engineers off the street or from other RR they like to pull them up from conductors and train them i don't understand that.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 11:14am »

on Sep 10th, 2003, 12:42am, leo_persick wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What don't you understand? It's all about your seniority. It's only fair to reward people from within the ranks for hard work, and dedication. If you want to be an engineer for the BNSF, hire out as a conductor.    

Leo Persick

You do have a point i was looking at how other RR will hire engineers right off the street i have never seen BNSF do that.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 10th, 2003, 11:16am »

Dave does CN ever hire engineers right off the street i just can't remember.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 2:29pm »

BNSF is hiring in Lafayette LA deadline Dec 14 at midnight.

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

IGoDwnTwn
Enthusiast

« Reply #6 on: Dec 21st, 2004, 7:42am »

Greetings,

I'm new here Happy Holidays to all!!!!

I start with BNSF Jan 10!!! Out of Aurora!!!!! YIPPIE

IGO

Santa_Fe_-----
Banned User
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 5:40am »

No major railroads hire you as engineers immediately (without being an engineer previously).  All make you work as a conductor--usually you have to bid in for engineer training vacancies as your seniority allows.

IGoDwnTwn
Enthusiast

« Reply #8 on: Jan 15th, 2005, 11:23pm »

on Dec 21st, 2004, 7:42am, IGoDwnTwn wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Greetings,

I'm new here Happy Holidays to all!!!!

I start with BNSF Jan 10!!! Out of Aurora!!!!! YIPPIE

IGO

Update: I've had my first week at BNSF...WOW. Alot to this job!!! The best part is that I'm in the classroom or in training most of the winter months. We did go out the the yard friday (10 degrees outside). WE were out there about 6 hours total...with only a lunch break. Got a tour of a few engines and worked with a few rails cars...repairing knuckles and setting hand brakes...checking out the different tyle of switches and how to set them. There's alot to read!! WE got our GCOR, latern, radio, safety vest and gloves the first day of class. Got the CORA book today....!! We had homework every night with a quizz the next morning. If you do the homework and read it over a few times, it will stick. Just have to apply yourself!!! In general...I LOVE IT!!!!!

IGO

IGoDwnTwn
Enthusiast
  Picture_082.jpg - 40695 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Apr 10th, 2006, 8:30pm »

Remember this thread?...

Well, it's me again....a year and a half with BNSF. All is well..making good money with good benefits.  I'm doing some hostling for about a month...wanted a change of pace from switching jobs. Had the thrill to pilot a few of these around the "house". ENJOY!!!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/BNSF/Picture_082.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Heracles87
TRAINing

« Reply #10 on: Jun 7th, 2006, 8:04am »

Can you provide me with any tips on the interviews, or perhaps a example of your resume that got you hired? My 4 years in the USAF are up in October, I'd like to work for the BNSF.

Volunteer, Trackworker, Wilmington & Western RR.

www.WWRR.com
Hawko
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 11:33am »

BNSF likes hiring people with military experience.  In your interview, stress how safe & reliable you are.  

Right now, the hiring seems to be slowing down a bit & in many places they have been furloughing people this winter.  

You may consider going to NARS (National Academy for Railroad Sciences) at Johnson County Community College, which is just outside of Kansas City & is affiliated with BNSF.   In the last La Crosse, WI new hire class, which started this January all four people were NARS graduates.    

« Last Edit: Mar 7th, 2007, 7:02pm by Hawko » Logged
RogerThornhill
TRAINing

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 9:32am »

Hawko,

Just wondered if you have heard any more on BNSF job situation and hiring.  Was to start in April but just got an email saying that is pushed off until August now.  They did offer Winslow, and that interests me a lot.  Do you have any way of knowing how the extra board out there is moving, I sure don't want to go all the way out there for training only to be cut off because the extra board is full.  

Signed

Hoping to be working soon!

Pyronova

View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 2:50am »

on Feb 25th, 2007, 9:32am, RogerThornhill wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hoping to be working soon!

North by Northwest:  Cary Grant  as Roger Thornhill  

Excellent movie;  have a look at the NYC pax cars:  the sheet metal is almost perfectly straight, not yet warped from age!

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

RogerThornhill
TRAINing

« Reply #14 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 8:06am »

Yes, we wondered if anyone would get the connection.  Loved the movie and the train sequence.  Also, James Mason as the bad guy.  I could listen to that guys voice for hours, it sounds like everything he says, just floats in mid air like cottonwood seeds!  "Come on Mr. Kaplan, don' t make this more difficult than it has to be".  - "But I'm NOT George Kaplan"

Hawko
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 6:48pm »

I am sorry that I don't know anything about what is happening in Winslow, Az.  I would ask one of your instructors from NARS if they know anything about Winslow.  I would also try getting a hold of the training coordinator for the Winslow terminal.

The NARS folks are a wealth of knowledge, when it comes to general employment questions, BNSF operations and specific BNSF locations.   I am very thankful for the help the NARS people gave me, when I was looking for a job.  

Right now, things are slow.  The BNSF is having a Workforce Retention Board.  This board is paying people $500 a week not to work & is allowing to keep health & welfare benefits.  This sure beats the furlough board.

Best of Luck & keep plugging

IGoDwnTwn
Enthusiast

« Reply #16 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 6:33pm »

Greetings People and BNSF'ers!!

I posted my experiences while in my training about 2 years back. Well, still working with BNSF..Cicero yard in Chicago.  I received a letter about furloughs also. But our yard is pretty busy for the most part....not as full...but busy. WE do transfers for the most part from NS both east and west directions. There is some intermodal but nearly as big as Corwith and Logistic Park yards.

I heard that BNSF is starting classes in the are this March and April. Yes, you can still attend NARS but still have to attend BNSF class too repeating everything that you basically learned already.....but free. Two of moy classmates attended NARS and BNSF classes only to learn that attending an openhouse and or applying online could have saved them about 2000 in educational bills.  

I'm not knocking NARS as theydo a good job of training and getting an interview as well as looking good on your application. Just watch the BNSF website carefully for openhouses and open positions in your area before hearing for NARS. Mite save you a buck or two.

Made more money last year than most of my degree'd friends working in an office enviorment. Other than weather, it was a good decision to go to the railroad. And remember...seniority is everything!!!!!

IGO

RogerThornhill
TRAINing
Finally!

« Reply #17 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 8:12am »

I got the letter last Friday, I start at the end of the month!  No job was ever posted, so I think maybe they're just taking from the new hire list as they can   It's taken almost a year since NARS but it did work out.  

RogerThornhill
TRAINing
Been on the job a month now

« Reply #18 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 8:46am »

Been at it a month now.  Things are going well.  Really HOT!  But very happy.  Worked with DP, 9000 ft trains, had to deal with some really new GE Evolutions that were cantankerous to say the least, RCO, and so forth, lots of interesting things.  Studying in the evenings, and working 6 days.  Some nights, mostly days right now, but that will change when I mark up I know.   People are good, I can heartily recommend it.

On our sub, there's going to be a tidal wave of retirements in the next 2 years, so if you're hoping things will open up eventually, hang in there, they have to!  We're gonna next HELP for sure.

es44ac
TRAINing

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25th, 2007, 7:46pm »

Hi everybody as you can see i'm new to this forums, as for the engineers position, the company usually posts job positions on their website but they have an in house postings as well that has priority first before they go out and hire outside, I worked with a few guys in the MOW (engineering dept) here in the Pac northwest. and they are going through training here at the roundhouse starting as train service then after so many years in train service they have the option to go through more training to become an engineer.

Maintenance in the way
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »