Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 11:14pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Montana Western is out!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   North American Railroads
   BNSF Discussion
(Moderators: dti407, BNSF_1088)
   Montana Western is out!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Montana Western is out!  (Read 4915 times)
Butte Wisdom and Pacific Ry.
Railfan
Montana Western is out!

« on: Apr 14th, 2003, 10:35am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

From a BNSF employee in Billings, MT:

Montana Western Railway based in Butte,  will be out of their lease this fall for financial reasons.  BNSF will take back the route of some 50 miles from Butte to Garrison where the Butte and Helena lines recoverge. Maybe this is the start of BN regaining their leased lines throughout the lowline of Montana.  Maybe this will put Homestake Pass back into service.  Maybe Montana Rail Link Will be bought out of their lease.  Please update us on any info that you might know of!

Thanks!

Call your Senators and Congressmen. Tell them to keep Amtrak On Track!
Railfan
Re: Montana Western is out!

« Reply #1 on: May 6th, 2003, 12:16pm »

Here's the STB page on this topic, take a look!  Thanks!

http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/ReadingRoom.nsf/51d7c65c6f78e79385256541007f0580/afa473d97a92449c85256d0800723c26?OpenDocument  

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #2 on: May 11th, 2003, 11:43pm »

hello i think you need to get some fact straight here  
1.the montana and western is realy based out of Anaconda mt
 it run on the old butte and anaconda and pacific line. the BA&P ran for many years theywould go in to butte and pick up the copper and bring it back to anaconda to the smelter.
 they at the time used a smaller yard in butte the one that the montana western use now is the old NP and GN yard formly the BN yard. I would recomend that you take a trip to ANACONDA. there is a little museums over there to see. you can all see where the locimotive are stord to.
2. For any railroad line to put the old NP line over homesteak pass also know as the old BN lin they would have to put a lot of money back in to it they would need to replace all the rail and ties and all new signle and re do all tunnel on the pass to,You would have to replace a lot siding up there to. the briges and trestle would need a lot of work on them. It would be great to see trains runing over homesteak again some day
       thanks

Railfan

« Reply #3 on: May 13th, 2003, 9:07am »

Montana Western is not the old BA&P, it is the Rarus RR based in Anaconda. MWRR is based on Casey Street in Butte.  MWRR and RARW are both owned by a group of partners.  RARW is wholly owned, and MWRR is a BN lease like MRL.

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: May 18th, 2003, 11:31am »

sorry to tell you this but it is the old butte and anaconda & PACIFIC LINE you need to take a trip tp anaconda and you will see for your self. they use to run electrics back then the old round house for the BA&P is long gone between butte and Garrison There where 3 line there whre the Northern Pacific and the Milwaukee road and the BA&P.The BA&P connected the Mining City withe Smelter City that where they took all of the copper to Anaconda MT read the book The butte short line and it will tell you to all so try and get a hold of any butte book to.When the BN came in the 1970 they had the butte line till about sept of 1986 then that where your Raruse railroad came in. the montana western and the rarus areaffiliate with there headquartered in ANACONDA MT. Now as for casey st there is no depot of any kind there the old NP depot is on  front street it was use up till amtrak pulled ot of butte in the eraly 1980s look in the butte short line book and there you will see a pic of it or any NP book.tell me you ever here of Warren Mcgee and Ron Nixon ?  

Railfan

« Reply #5 on: May 21st, 2003, 9:06am »

Sorry to you also, the BA&P never went past Anaconda to the west from Butte.  The line the MWRR operates now is BN's ex-Northern Pacific Butte main that joins the Helena line at Garrison.  It is not, or ever was part of the Butte, Anaconda and Pacific.

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #6 on: May 22nd, 2003, 1:01am »

Brandon i never said the the line went out fron Anaconda.I dont know where you got that. they would have to crosse over at silverbow or go in to Butte that where the BA&P would go to get to Garrison MT ok. Now the MWRR did not come around till sept 14 1986. What you refer to on casy st is the old Montana central yard and tund house and depot. the BA&P git in to Butte in 1892 they replace all the montana Union line on the butte hill if you bont belive me you need to get the book Butte Short line it all right there or go to Anaconda and see for your self  ok  
        thanks  Mrnprrfan

Railfan

« Reply #7 on: May 27th, 2003, 2:27pm »

Well whatever the point, MWRR is moving out, BNSF will be here July 1 according to local sources in Butte.  Maybe some big happenings will follow!

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #8 on: May 28th, 2003, 1:45am »

brandon  
That fine and i will be in montana about then to see if it true like said befor if the BNSF want to homesteak pass they got a lot of work up there to do and it will mean all new track work up there. and all i was doing brandon was making a point about this line.and the histery of the BA&P ok. So we will see if this is true on July 1.

Railfan

« Reply #9 on: May 28th, 2003, 9:38am »

Well alright, sounds good.  Only time will tell if it really happens or not.  As far as Homestake goes, all we can do is wait to see abandonment or reconstruction, please hope for reconstruction!

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #10 on: May 29th, 2003, 8:27pm »

one more thing i for got you have to remeber that the UNION PACIFIC goes in to silver bow and they will have something to say about this there not going to just let this go with out saying anything, they do store there power at SILVER BOW for there retrune trip back to pocatello idaho. and that going to be the big thing with UNION PACIFIC, at one time they did go all the way in to butte with there passanger train,  
      bye

BNSF_1088
Historian

« Reply #11 on: May 30th, 2003, 11:59am »

now now lets be nice

BNSF Conductor

Director of
Save Our Trains Michigan

Railfan

« Reply #12 on: May 30th, 2003, 12:15pm »

I don't think UP can do much to BNSF, because BN has the 999 year lease on the right of way from Silver Bow to Garrison that the NP secured way back in 1895 with the Oregon Short Line.

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #13 on: Jun 17th, 2003, 1:05am »

WELL  see if the BNSF realy did get there way, or is just anther rumer started, Like i said i will be there and watching to see if it realy happen,  like i said befor only if the UP gives there ok to do this they still have a strong hold in silver bow MT.

Railfan

« Reply #14 on: Jun 17th, 2003, 12:15pm »

Check out the Montana Standard.com and read today's article (6/17) about the subject!

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #15 on: Jun 19th, 2003, 6:41pm »

HEY BRANDON   i did read it it going to be 3 to 8 more month befor it get approved}

Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23rd, 2003, 7:21pm »

My sources say July will be the time of takeover, the sooner the better!  The yard is a mess of weeds and garbage.  The right of way doesn't look much better.

Railfan

« Reply #17 on: Jun 26th, 2003, 9:19am »

Go to this link, it tells all.

http://www.stb.dot.gov/decisions/ReadingRoom.nsf/51d7c65c6f78e79385256541007f0580/fe94c29c34c8535485256d4c00371136?OpenDocument

Mrnprrfan
TRAINing

« Reply #18 on: Jul 10th, 2003, 8:37pm »

HEY BRANDON you now what i was up in butte and i was watching from july 1 to the 9 and no BNSF. i think you need to get your fact right it going to be a long time and next what rail yard is not full of weeds sound like the rail yard you see is billings mt sounds like you belive every thing you here. I think your sources are worng  so go head and tell me what rail yard does not have weeds. do you think realy BNSF is ready to put nearly a 1,000,000.00 in to that operation then a lot more to get homestake pass going no way  the yard is not a mess at all you make it sound like it realy bad not trure at all.and what BSF main line is not full of weeds i bet there are a lot so you keep standing out at night and wish once upon a star  that the BNSF does this i dont think so at all. will see if there when i get up there in 2004 of july.

Railfan

« Reply #19 on: Jul 16th, 2003, 10:47am »

Whatever you say Hot Rod!  Hey I think there are typing classes available for railfans!  

Best Wishes!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »