Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Feb 21st, 2018, 1:37pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Visiting Vancouver for the first time in July.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   British Columbia
(Moderators: CP8673, Pyronova, KootenayValleyRailway)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Visiting Vancouver for the first time in July.  (Read 47 times)
ninasboss
TRAINing

« on: Jan 14th, 2018, 11:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Im hoping to see as many different loco's as l can. I have identified Thornton Yard and CP seem to have a big yard in Port Coquitlam. How good is public viewing of these two locations? I would also like to see some US locos and would appreciate any help with good locations. Is there anything to see on the Island?  

Cheers in anticipation
Tony

Pyronova

View Profile  

Re: Visiting Vancouver for the first time in July.

« Reply #1 on: Jan 27th, 2018, 1:48pm »

Not the best viewing (safe that is) of either engine facility.    The CN engine area in Surrey can be viewed as you travel along Hwy 17, but no where to pull over and view/take photos.    The CPR yard in Port Coquitlam has a bridge over it now, but I am unsure where you could park to then hike up the pedestrian side of the bridge to view.   The BNSF engine area in New Westminster at corner of Brunette and Braid streets has some side street parking that you may be able to view a mixed bag of American road paint schemes, but times vary as to when units are at this location.
Vancouver Island:  Very few movements in the 5 miles left currently active.  A couple engines are parked in Nanaimo 6.5 days a week.   Since you are coming in July, the Forest Discovery Centre in Duncan on Vancouver Island may be something for you to view.  They have narrow guage train ride, special weekends pulled by steam.   As well, train rides are available in Port Alberni.    
Hope this helps.

Moderator of: Mainline - Rail Safety; Regional Areas - British Columbia & Vancouver Island; Fallen Flags - The Milwaukee Road; & Model Railroading - N-Scale .

ninasboss
TRAINing
Re: Visiting Vancouver for the first time in July.

« Reply #2 on: Jan 27th, 2018, 7:59pm »

I will be traveling on a motorcycle and with the help of Google maps I think I have identified a few spots where I can pull over.
I have found CN in Surrey, CP in Port Coquitlam and thanks to You tube, Braid Street. I will also take a look at Via and Rocky Mountaineer but not expecting to see much. The VIA schedule will help but Rocky does not seem to have one.
I'd like to take a ride on the sky train while I'm there.
Many thanks for your help, it is appreciated.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »