Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 12th, 2017, 9:17am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Best Amtrak "Workhorse"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   Best Amtrak "Workhorse"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Best Amtrak "Workhorse"  (Read 573 times)
Loewys Flamboyant Locomotive
Former Member
Best Amtrak "Workhorse"

« on: Jun 22nd, 2016, 5:34pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Gentlemen:

Which Amtrak engine do you regard as the best overall "workhorse" through the decades?

For me, electric-wise, it is a tie between the AEM7 and the ALP-44.

On the diesel side, I vote for the timeless F40.

Your engine of choice?

"L.F.L."

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Best Amtrak "Workhorse"
  Amtrak_F40_200_201_AEM-7_New_Haven_Ct_61281.jpg - 46336 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

For quite a few years the dependable F40 and AEM7 were the workhorses for sure. The F40 was a worthy successor for the E8 and the AEM7 for the GG1. The E60 was a disappointment so it does not really count in my book. After many issues including derailments, E60's were relegated to slower trains and sold off to NJT when the AEM7's began to arrive and thrive.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Amtrak/Amtrak_F40_200_201_AEM-7_New_Haven_Ct_61281.jpg
Click Image to Resize

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:33pm »

I have to agree with NEFAN, the F40PHs and the AEM7s were the backbone of Amtrak for generations... so sad in a way that their times have ended...

jerry
Passenger Car Photo Index Updated 8/9/17 with 8,402 new links added!!!
Interurban Passenger Car Photo Index
Presidents' Conference Car Photo Index
Long branch Flyer-Limited
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:40pm »

NEFAN:

Agreed!

I have photos somewhere dating to 1990, showing a lineup of ex-AMTRAK E60's in the NJT yard at Long Branch.

One engine was still wearing its old AMTRAK paint; the others had already been repainted.

The E60, for all of its impressive bulk, indeed seemed a "flash in the pan", power-wise, on the AMTRAK roster.

Living in NEC territory my entire life, I only got to see the F40's at work when I traveled up to Boston, to Chicago, or Florida.

I used to really dig the 40's that NJT used to operate....VERY impressive machines!

The GG-1's were of course, hard-working engines, but, being "inherited" power, I still never really associate them with AMTRAK......

"L.F.L."

Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:42pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:33pm, jmlaboda wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have to agree with NEFAN, the F40PHs and the AEM7s were the backbone of Amtrak for generations... so sad in a way that their times have ended...

Jim:

Again, I totally agree with you.

Those engines were indeed the backbone of AMTRAK's stable, and more than proved their worth over their years of service.

They seemed to be around forever, now, as you say, their times have ended.....but, at least, we have memories and photos to remind us of those exciting days.....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:43pm by CLASSB » Logged
jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:51pm »

Quote:
The GG-1's were of course, hard-working engines, but, being "inherited" power, I still never really associate them with AMTRAK......

They were good motors despite their age and Amtrak was really their "last hoorah" and they did it with style.  And, thanks to Amtrak, we got to enjoy once again some glimpses of the "Good Old Days" what with "Black Jack" heading a number of truly fine trains during its tenure.  Of the many GG1s I got to see it remains my favorite!!!

The first few years of the F40PHs really didn't do a thing for me... I just couldn't get into them until Bob Smaus, Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman author, wrote his article about how to model one.  Don't know why but seeing Bob's model set in stone my later feelings for the units... and I will ever be grateful to him for this!!!

jerry
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 5:15pm »

on Jun 23rd, 2016, 4:51pm, jmlaboda wrote:       (Click here for original message)

They were good motors despite their age and Amtrak was really their "last hoorah" and they did it with style.  And, thanks to Amtrak, we got to enjoy once again some glimpses of the "Good Old Days" what with "Black Jack" heading a number of truly fine trains during its tenure.  Of the many GG1s I got to see it remains my favorite!!!

The first few years of the F40PHs really didn't do a thing for me... I just couldn't get into them until Bob Smaus, Model Railroader and Railroad Model Craftsman author, wrote his article about how to model one.  Don't know why but seeing Bob's model set in stone my later feelings for the units... and I will ever be grateful to him for this!!!

Jim:

Great post!

Man, do I miss the days of seeing G's heading AMTRAK consists at Penn Station, Newark, especially during my senior year of high school (1974-1975) when I passed through each morning.

They also looked mighty impressive dashing through the NJ meadows, making that gentle swing into the Bergen Portals on the last lap into New York, with a string of Heritage cars in tow......yes, indeed!

The 40's kind of grew on me....at first my feelings for them were a bit lukewarm, but, as time went on, I truly developed a strong affection fore these mighty beasts.

The sound of a 40 idling at a terminal or in a yard....aahhh, sweet music, indeed!

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2016, 5:21pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 6:13pm »

Timeless......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk210bma.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags.org)

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2016, 6:15pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Jun 23rd, 2016, 6:24pm »

Remembering the legendary, formidable "G", during the AMTRAK service years.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk4909m.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk4901.jpg

« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2016, 6:26pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Jun 26th, 2016, 2:24am »

New Haven, 1978.

Though the E60 will never be remembered for being one of AMTRAK's most successful haulers, its formidable, no-nonsense bulk still permeates our memories today, years after they vanished from service.

Note the "mod" NH/CDOT MU's on the right, themselves now regarded with nostalgia......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk963dla.jpg

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016, 2:25am by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #10 on: Jun 26th, 2016, 4:49pm »

Early in the AEM7 era.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk-e0907ags.jpg

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2016, 4:51pm by CLASSB » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jun 27th, 2016, 1:23pm »

I was glad when the GG1 was being replaced by the E60 since with the Amfleet coaches, it gave a sense of modernism to the carrier. I felt that along with Conrail, there was a chance for the rails to come back again. The F40 and AEM7 added to that.

Former Member

« Reply #12 on: Jun 27th, 2016, 1:39pm »

on Jun 27th, 2016, 1:23pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I was glad when the GG1 was being replaced by the E60 since with the Amfleet coaches, it gave a sense of modernism to the carrier. I felt that along with Conrail, there was a chance for the rails to come back again. The F40 and AEM7 added to that.

NEFAN:

While no one loved the "G's" more than yours truly, I thought that the AMFLEET consists had a more uniform and "mod" look when the E-60's and the AEM-7's began to make inroads into the motive power roster.

For me, a "G" always looked at its classic best while hauling a long string of Tuscan cars, with several head-end cars thrown in for good measure!

The same with the F40's; they (IMHO) indeed seem to symbolize AMTRAK during the 80's....almost a "trademark" engine.

I always like both the AEM-7's and the ALPS; they seemed to be engines that were well suited to the heavy-duty hauling required of "Corridor" power.

Seems only yesterday they were "the new kids on the block".......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2016, 3:13pm by CLASSB » Logged
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jun 27th, 2016, 4:33pm »

Though I have to admit that I waited for the longer Florida trains that usually had two GG1's pulling stainless steel.  Much classier than an E60.  

Former Member

« Reply #14 on: Jun 27th, 2016, 5:49pm »

on Jun 27th, 2016, 4:33pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Though I have to admit that I waited for the longer Florida trains that usually had two GG1's pulling stainless steel.  Much classier than an E60.  

NEFAN:

I see you and I are both cut from the SAME cloth!

Cannot fault you in the least, there.........

"L.F.L."

Former Member

« Reply #15 on: Jun 27th, 2016, 5:59pm »

"G" memories om AMTRAK......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk912ary.jpg

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk909jsa.jpg

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Jun 28th, 2016, 1:27pm »

Not to keep picking on the E60 but... when Conrail completed their study to extend electrification, the E60 was considered. Amtrak offered them cheap, but their poor performance made them unexceptable as freight haulers. GE did offer a freight version, but no takers.

jmlaboda
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Jun 28th, 2016, 1:55pm »

Quote:
GE did offer a freight version, but no takers.

But there was one taker.  Nacionales de Mexico bought a group of them but never completed the electrification plan that they wanted to do, with many being scrapped without seeing much use.

jerry
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Jun 28th, 2016, 2:14pm »

on Jun 28th, 2016, 1:27pm, NEFAN wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Not to keep picking on the E60 but... when Conrail completed their study to extend electrification, the E60 was considered. Amtrak offered them cheap, but their poor performance made them unexceptable as freight haulers. GE did offer a freight version, but no takers.

NEFAN:

Thanks for sharing; did not know this.

To me, it seemed that CONRAIL was not all that keen about continuing electric tonnage hauling, as I recall them pulling the plug on electric freight operations in the early 80's.

It would have been interesting, to say the least, had CONRAIL chosen to continue electric operation, surviving into the present.

Seeing electric CSX and NS power would certainly make for some interesting train-watching!

Back to AMTRAK;  IMHO, I believe that the ALPs and AEM-7's were the best of all the electrics they operated.

Though I loved the GG-1's, I never thought of them as "AMTRAK" engines per se, being "heritage" units themselves, and not built for AMTRAK......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Jun 28th, 2016, 2:16pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Jun 28th, 2016, 2:15pm »

on Jun 28th, 2016, 1:55pm, jmlaboda wrote:       (Click here for original message)

But there was one taker.  Nacionales de Mexico bought a group of them but never completed the electrification plan that they wanted to do, with many being scrapped without seeing much use.

Jim:

I think I recall there being something on this in TRAINS many years ago.......

"L.F.L."

Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »