Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 24th, 2017, 2:14am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Extension of Sunset Ltd
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   Extension of Sunset Ltd
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Extension of Sunset Ltd  (Read 66 times)
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Extension of Sunset Ltd

« on: Jan 28th, 2016, 12:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hear AMTRAK is running a special east from Nawlins to Jacksonville, over the part of the Sunset Rote that was annulled when Katrina damaged just about everything along the coast at least to Mobile. Seems they are (finally) thinking about again extending the Sunset to the east coast. Hope it happens - anybody got any thoughts?

Norm_Anderson
Historian
Re: Extension of Sunset Ltd

« Reply #1 on: Jan 28th, 2016, 3:18pm »

This is encouraging.  The fact that they are actually running a test train over the route means that they have apparently moved beyond the "maybe someday" phase.  I have to believe that other issues (co-funding by States, restoration of station facilities, etc.) are largely resolved, otherwise they wouldn't trouble themselves to run the test train.  Maybe I'm just revealing my naivete here, but I hope they will decide to press on to do this.  A lot of good reasons to re-establish this link, and not many good reasons not to.

Regards,

Norm

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jan 29th, 2016, 9:06am »

Clyde - Norm - Lodge Members -

Thought crossed your writer's mind that perhaps this should be done a bit differently? Jacksonville no longer the important  
"change trains" terminal it was in past. Perhaps better the SUNSET should have end of line in Orlando? Change would  
impact CSX Lines in any event.

.............................Vern.................................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jan 29th, 2016, 4:49pm »

on Jan 29th, 2016, 9:06am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde - Norm - Lodge Members -

Thought crossed your writer's mind that perhaps this should be done a bit differently? Jacksonville no longer the important  
"change trains" terminal it was in past. Perhaps better the SUNSET should have end of line in Orlando? Change would  
impact CSX Lines in any event.

.............................Vern.................................

Yes, I'd think Orlando would be a good 9probably better) end point. But the thing is - Amtrak already has a route to J'ville and I don't think the host roads could object to them running again, despite the annulment "pending repairs' post-Katrina, whereas they might insist on a new contract with who knows what conditions to go to Orlando. I just don't know, other than they ran the test train. Way past time IMO - the tracks were fixed a LONG time ago, and i'll bet Porkulous Money could have been had for stations. if anybody had asked...

But I hope it happens. Might take a little trip...

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Jan 29th, 2016, 7:27pm »

Vern and Clyde, you raise a very excellent and valid point!  Orlando is now the Big Draw for many other regions of the country, and a direct train to Orlando not only makes sense, but may be better patronized.  As I type this, I am thinking that perhaps a guaranteed connection to the City of New Orleans (south-to-east, and west-to-north) could even revive a hint of the old Chicago to Florida service.  If I were the president of Amtrak, I might be tempted to risk my career on such a move . . .

Talk is cheap,

Norm

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 29th, 2016, 7:45pm »

Norm that (City of NOLA extension or connection to Orlando) really sounds like a pretty good idea to me - I'd think likely better patronized than a Sunset extension. But - would the freight road9s) go for it? Without unreasonable demands (I think the UP demands for the Sunset to go daily are, as an example, unreasonable - would there be a repeat from CSX?).

A Sunset/City of NOLA connection ought to be workable and adequately reliable on current timing: City arrives daily at 3:32 PM, Sunset 9:40 PM TuFrSat; Sunset departs 9:00 AM MoWeSa and City 1:45 PM daily. Presuming NOLA times for the extension remained as present (depart eastbound sometime after 9:40 PM, arrive westbound sometime prior to 9:00 AM) things ought to work to and from Chicago.

Might even be able to have a through car or cars (coach, sleeper or coach and sleeper), though where the cars would come from, I dunno.

« Last Edit: Jan 29th, 2016, 7:47pm by ClydeDET » Logged
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jan 30th, 2016, 8:46am »

Norm - Clyde - Lodge Members -  

I try! Consider, there should be very little of any within Florida issues with CSX. It currently active on the routes. It is very positive  
the old "S A L - L & N" Route, JAX - NOLA back in service. https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/maps/csx-system-map/

See the aging Time Tables. Past practice, much of the CGO/DET/Midwest - Florida schedules ran via Jacksonville. It is still done  
this way. Orlando a local, direct Station on the old ACL. So that? Why "end of line" with the Trans-Con Sunset? Better it to run in  
and out of Orlando? CSX already involved with operations on its routes. The line appreciates money offers for it to conduct services.
(Your writer here does not consider possible interest of N S, former SOU RR, which serves Palatka, FL.)

BTW. Checking the History of the old (now CSX) SEABOARD. Consider there used to be be thru PULLMAN Cars, Denver, CO -  
St. Petersburg, FL...

.............................Vern.........................

« Last Edit: Jan 30th, 2016, 8:50am by HwyHaulier » Logged

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jan 30th, 2016, 2:08pm »

on Jan 30th, 2016, 8:46am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Norm - Clyde - Lodge Members -  

I try! Consider, there should be very little of any within Florida issues with CSX. It currently active on the routes. It is very positive  
the old "S A L - L & N" Route, JAX - NOLA back in service. https://www.csx.com/index.cfm/customers/maps/csx-system-map/

See the aging Time Tables. Past practice, much of the CGO/DET/Midwest - Florida schedules ran via Jacksonville. It is still done  
this way. Orlando a local, direct Station on the old ACL. So that? Why "end of line" with the Trans-Con Sunset? Better it to run in  
and out of Orlando? CSX already involved with operations on its routes. The line appreciates money offers for it to conduct services.
(Your writer here does not consider possible interest of N S, former SOU RR, which serves Palatka, FL.)

BTW. Checking the History of the old (now CSX) SEABOARD. Consider there used to be be thru PULLMAN Cars, Denver, CO -  
St. Petersburg, FL...

.............................Vern.........................

And through (or dedicated) cars to a devil of a lot of other places as well.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »