Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 11th, 2017, 4:48am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Recalling the X2000
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   Recalling the X2000
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Recalling the X2000  (Read 267 times)
L. F. LOREE 1403
Former Member
Re: Recalling the X2000

« Reply #20 on: Oct 24th, 2015, 7:40pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Clyde:

I believe you are right; I had completely forgotten about the SF handling through PRR and NYC cars......that, my friend, was many, many eons ago.....a grand era we shall never see the likes of again.....

"L.F.L."

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #21 on: Oct 26th, 2015, 2:33pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Oct 24th, 2015, 7:40pm, L. F. LOREE 1403 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde:

I believe you are right; I had completely forgotten about the SF handling through PRR and NYC cars......that, my friend, was many, many eons ago.....a grand era we shall never see the likes of again.....

"L.F.L."

Indeed we won't. I THINK that there MAY have been through cars to the Northwest at one time - via Milwaukee Road, NP or GN. I know there were through cars via St. Louis to Texas, Mexico, and Southern California. And of course to LA via Nawlins - that continued into AMTRAK until the Sunset went Superliner. NYC-Washington-Atlanta-NO-Los Angeles. Always thought that would be a neat trip, but never was in position tot take the ride. PRR to Washington from NYC (Crescent0; Southern (Crescent) to NOLA via Atlanta; SP NOLA to LA (a through sleeper, a 10-6 at the end, I think).

Also - I think the Golden State carried through cars off one or more of the Eastern Roads to LA at one time.

L. F. LOREE 1403
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 26th, 2015, 3:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Clyde:

I am now also recalling, early in the E-L era, where certain through trains carried a UP "American" series sleeper.

The "PACIFIC EXPRESS" was one of these trains; the sleeper was carried between Chicago and Meadville.

Too, as I mentioned earlier, there were the DL&W/E-L trains that carried through NKP cars between Buffalo and Hoboken, until about 1964.

If I am allowed to mentioned head-end cars here, I have seen 1960's era-photos of E-L head end cars operating in N&W consists, as well as on the SOUTHERN (Train #18, circa-1967/1968 )

Indeed, it WAS a fascinating, if bittersweet, era for 1960's railfans, with so much poised for extinction.....

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2015, 8:57pm by CLASSB » Logged
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »