Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 11th, 2017, 4:44am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"Chicago Heritage"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   "Chicago Heritage"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "Chicago Heritage"  (Read 1759 times)
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member
Re: "Chicago Heritage"

« Reply #180 on: Feb 11th, 2016, 3:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Clyde:

One indeed wonders about the millions of "Uncle Sam's Boys" who rode the rails to and from their assigned posts, back in the day.

Certainly, their stories are more than worthy of inclusion in any discussion of bygone passenger operations, back in the day.

On a sidenote, recall the railroads that operated converted troop sleepers during the postwar era as mail and express cars.

The NYC comes to mind here as I type these words; AMTRAK certainly had no use for such equipment, back in 1971.....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2016, 3:18pm by CLASSB » Logged
Norm_Anderson
Historian
  m-coach-21.jpg - 46278 Bytes
« Reply #181 on: Feb 11th, 2016, 5:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 11th, 2016, 3:14pm, L. F. Lincoln wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde:

One indeed wonders about the millions of "Uncle Sam's Boys" who rode the rails to and from their assigned posts, back in the day.

Certainly, their stories are more than worthy of inclusion in any discussion of bygone passenger operations, back in the day.

On a sidenote, recall the railroads that operated converted troop sleepers during the postwar era as mail and express cars.

The NYC comes to mind here as I type these words; AMTRAK certainly had no use for such equipment, back in 1971.....

"L.F.L."

It wasn't just head-end cars.  After World War 2, the Monon was looking to streamline its fleet of passenger trains, but didn't have the deep pockets of the larger roads.  In a stroke of genius, someone at that company scooped up a group of surplus Army Hospital Cars-- necessarily built to ensure a smooth ride-- and converted them into Chair Cars.  The makeover was quite satisfactory, by all accounts.  Here's an example, from the Passenger Car Photo Index.

Regards,

Norm

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Amtrak/m-coach-21.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2016, 5:33pm by Norm_Anderson » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #182 on: Feb 11th, 2016, 7:05pm »

Norm:

A GREAT photo and interesting trivia....thanks for sharing here!  

I am now remembering (back in the 1990's) a number of old passenger equipment on the side tracks of the now-closed Fort Monmouth in Monmouth County (this base was connected to NJT's North Jersey Coast Line, formerly the NY&LB); I think there were one or two ex-PRR cars there, but am not totally sure.

I think I recall reading quite awhile ago that some cars were used as dorms/barracks for the men stationed there......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2016, 7:11pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #183 on: Feb 11th, 2016, 7:28pm »

All:

Some info here on the old cars (including the ex-PRR "MOUNTAIN VIEW") that were once at Fort Monmouth, NJ.

Note that some ex-NH cars (parlors/sleepers) were also located here as well.

The cars that I recall (a bit derelict by the time I saw them between 1990 and 1997) were glimpsed at speed from the windows of passing NJT trains.......

"L.F.L."

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f-127&t=22291

(courtesy: Railroad.net)

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2016, 7:34pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #184 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 12:48am »

Prior to AMTRAK, this magnificent preserved neon sign once directed both long-haul passengers and suburban commuters to their respective trains at La Salle St. station........

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/itm-ls-r.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags.org)

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #185 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 12:53am »

Chicago, 1971.

AMTRAK is now the name of the game, and it has been three years since the NYC and the PRR merged, but, as seen here, ex-NYC coach #2618 still wears her classic, original livery, recalling an earlier era in passenger railroading.....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-c2618g.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016, 12:55am by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #186 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 12:59am »

In this photo taken one year earlier than the previous photo, the NYC era, at least in spirit, still held on in the Chicago yards......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/nyc/nyc-c2945s.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016, 1:00am by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #187 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 1:10am »

August, 1971.

Here we see AMTRAK #12 w/lounge car "GOLDEN DREAM".

The spirit of the old "Rock" still rattles on......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ri/ri-d0428dca.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016, 1:11am by CLASSB » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #188 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 2:02pm »

on Feb 12th, 2016, 1:10am, L. F. Lincoln wrote:       (Click here for original message)
August, 1971.

Here we see AMTRAK #12 w/lounge car "GOLDEN DREAM".

The spirit of the old "Rock" still rattles on......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ri/ri-d0428dca.jpg

Possible I saw that one on the Twin Star Rocket in the 50s or early 60s, but no guarantee.

As to the ex-Hospital train cars, a number made it into AMTRK service. A quick look at Wayner suggests 33, all St. Louis Car from the 1952-53 order and all converted to baggage or baggage-dorms. 24 ex-Army "ambulance unit" cars "awaiting disposition", plus 11 personnel sleepers  rebuilt in 1968 from sleepers acquired from Penn-Central (from Cascade and Brook series cars) also "awaiting disposition and seven Army kitchen cars awaiting disposition. From 1973 book,

I saw, on a visit to Barksdale AFB in Bossier City in the 1980s (probably, could have been in the 90s), a set of rail cars that had B-52 flight simulators installed. Understand they moved from base to base, but rather imagine they are no longer in service and likely disposed of in some fashion. They looked like they might well have been converted ambulance train cars - smooth-side lightweights, but don't know for sure.  

Not sure the Army Ambulance trains ever turned a wheel in service - suspect not.

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #189 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 3:19pm »

Clyde:

Interesting info on the "hospital cars"; now here is something seldom (if ever) mentioned when discussing passenger rail history, including discussions on AMTRAK.

By the time AMTRAK was formed in 1971, heavyweight Pullmans were certainly more than obsolete, long since relegated to either the scrap yard (or MOW service, if lucky enough) by modern postwar equipment.

Sidenote: On the E-L, eight heavyweight Pullmans (inherited from both the DL&W and the ERIE) made it onto the merged roster in 1960).

Redundant cars virtually from the get-go, such equipment (when retained) seemed a natural for conversion to work service, especially as bunk cars.

At least one of the former-"SCENIC" series heavyweight Pullmans was assigned to the Port Jervis wreck train into the 70's......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016, 3:41pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #190 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 3:32pm »

Retired AMTRAK "Hospital Ward Car" #17112.......

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showpicture.aspx?id=1161328

(courtesy: PASSENGER CAR PHOTO INDEX)

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016, 3:35pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #191 on: Feb 12th, 2016, 3:37pm »

More links of interest on this page.......

http://passcarphotos.info/indices/AMTK14.htm

« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2016, 3:39pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #192 on: Feb 13th, 2016, 12:15am »

AMTRAK #1418 (ex-U.S.ARMY) at the former BN coach yards, Chicago, 1974 (also note ex-NP coach still sporting original paint).......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk-bd1418dca.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2016, 12:16am by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #193 on: Feb 14th, 2016, 4:41pm »

Latew 1970's photo of AMTRAK #689; this car was one of six ex-US ARMY kitchen cars that later became kitchen/baggage cars, and, in their last incarnation, were again converted, this time into power cars to supply HEP power, until AMTRAK had enough engines equipped for HEP.......

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2683873

(courtesy PASSENGER CAR PHOTO INSEX)

« Last Edit: Feb 14th, 2016, 4:54pm by CLASSB » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #194 on: Feb 14th, 2016, 8:05pm »

on Feb 14th, 2016, 4:41pm, L. F. Lincoln wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Latew 1970's photo of AMTRAK #689; this car was one of six ex-US ARMY kitchen cars that later became kitchen/baggage cars, and, in their last incarnation, were again converted, this time into power cars to supply HEP power, until AMTRAK had enough engines equipped for HEP.......

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2683873

(courtesy PASSENGER CAR PHOTO INSEX)

That one is plumb nasty. Needs to have been run though a wash rack, and that's a fact.

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #195 on: Feb 14th, 2016, 9:22pm »

on Feb 14th, 2016, 8:05pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)

That one is plumb nasty. Needs to have been run though a wash rack, and that's a fact.

Clyde:

I have noticed that quite a few vintage AMTRAK photos show head-end equipment (as well as other cars) that was, shall we say, less than sparkling.

Many cars seemed to be encrusted with a healthy coating "urban grunge", especially during the winter months.

Personally, I have always wondered why the AMFLEET design was never used for a baggage car; they would have made for interesting looking cars, that's for certain....

"L.F.L."

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #196 on: Feb 14th, 2016, 9:26pm »

A ragtag relic of the NYC..............

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=2683877

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #197 on: Feb 14th, 2016, 11:02pm »

on Feb 14th, 2016, 9:22pm, L. F. Lincoln wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Clyde:

I have noticed that quite a few vintage AMTRAK photos show head-end equipment (as well as other cars) that was, shall we say, less than sparkling.

Many cars seemed to be encrusted with a healthy coating "urban grunge", especially during the winter months.

Personally, I have always wondered why the AMFLEET design was never used for a baggage car; they would have made for interesting looking cars, that's for certain....

"L.F.L."

AMFLEET baggage? Suspect they still had enough Heritage Fleet baggage cars available when AMFLET was under construction, so never ordered any. Then  - Budd shut down so nobody to build them. So they built material handling cars that were essentially express boxes when they needed non-passenger cars after a few years, and then when they built the modular low-level cars, ordered baggage cars on that shell. I don't KNOW that was the reason, but have my suspicions.

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #198 on: Feb 15th, 2016, 12:17am »

Clyde:

Though I know that the AMFLEET cars owe their heritage to the original METROLINER equipment, for a number of years I thought that the distinctive tubular design of the AMFLEET cars had something to do with the tight clearances of the 1910 PRR Hudson River tubes.

Out of all the equipment that AMTRAK has operated over the past forty-odd years, I think that the AMFLEET cars are the most distinctive.

IMHO, they have long been AMTRAK's "trademark" cars.......

"L.F.L."

L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #199 on: Feb 15th, 2016, 12:27am »

The distinctive tubular design of an AMFLEET coach is evident in this 1987 view......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk21210amh.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 15th, 2016, 12:28am by CLASSB » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »