Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 28th, 2017, 12:32am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

"Chicago Heritage"
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   "Chicago Heritage"
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: "Chicago Heritage"  (Read 1571 times)
L. F. LOREE 1403
Former Member
Re: "Chicago Heritage"

« Reply #120 on: Feb 1st, 2016, 8:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 1st, 2016, 8:24pm, Norm_Anderson wrote:       (Click here for original message)

R.C. this is an interesting photo!

I notice that these fluted-side, Armour Yellow 10-6 Sleepers are lettered THE MILWAUKEE ROAD.  Fluted-side equipment was not usually found on The Milwaukee Road.  I wonder if their heritage is really ex-SP City of San Francisco equipment?  The 10-6 Sleeper immediately ahead of them is definitely a MILW car (as is, perhaps, the car ahead of that one)-- the rounded "ends" of the windows is a giveaway.  This may, in fact, be an Amtrak City of San Francisco consist we're looking at . . .

Thanks for sharing!

Norm

Hi, Norm:

You are MOST welcome, my friend!

Though no expert, I, too, was wondering about those cars, but, given my very limited knowledge on them, I would not even hazard a guess.

Looking at these photos, taken well over forty years ago, I truly wish we could go back in time, even for just a few days, and keep our KODAK "Instamatics" and POLAROID "Swingers" clicking away non-stop!

How much of that once-commonplace diversity we took for granted, back then....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 1st, 2016, 8:48pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. LOREE 1403
Former Member

« Reply #121 on: Feb 1st, 2016, 8:54pm »

Chicago, 1972.

A sad, sad sight, indeed.....these magnificent cars deserved a fate better than this......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/milw-d0126dca.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags.org)

L. F. LOREE 1403
Former Member

« Reply #122 on: Feb 1st, 2016, 8:59pm »

A much happier scene depicting an ex-MILWAUKEE car at Chicago, 1975.

No wonder the engine on the far right appears to be smiling!

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/milw/milw-co630ags.jpg

L. F. LOREE 1403
Former Member

« Reply #123 on: Feb 1st, 2016, 9:02pm »

Chicago, 1969, two years prior to AMTRAK......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/milw/milw-p0036goa.jpg

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #124 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 1:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 1st, 2016, 9:02pm, L. F. LOREE 1403 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Chicago, 1969, two years prior to AMTRAK......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/milw/milw-p0036goa.jpg

Budd 10-6 in Milwaukee Road colors after they started cooperating with UP to get the City trains into Chicago. Always liked the proper orange and maroon colors, but Armour Yellow isn't bad.

Loewys Flamboyant Locomotive
Former Member

« Reply #125 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 1:49pm »

Clyde:

Speaking of the UP, back in the early days of the E-L, one of their through trains, the "PACIFIC EXPRESS" ( Train #8 ), was diagrammed to carry a Chicago-Meadville sleeper.

Occasionally, this sleeper would be a UP "AMERICAN"-series car.

Looking back through these early AMTRAK-era photos truly makes me nostalgic for the days when there still so much "rolling history" riding the rails.......today, over 40 years later, that same nostalgia has a distinct poignancy to it, as what was once revenue rolling stock has now passed into oblivion, with the exception of those fortunate few in preservation today.....

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2016, 1:52pm by CLASSB » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #126 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 6:38pm »

on Feb 2nd, 2016, 1:49pm, Loewys Flamboyant Locomotive wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde:

Speaking of the UP, back in the early days of the E-L, one of their through trains, the "PACIFIC EXPRESS" ( Train #8 ), was diagrammed to carry a Chicago-Meadville sleeper.

Occasionally, this sleeper would be a UP "AMERICAN"-series car.

Looking back through these early AMTRAK-era photos truly makes me nostalgic for the days when there still so much "rolling history" riding the rails.......today, over 40 years later, that same nostalgia has a distinct poignancy to it, as what was once revenue rolling stock has now passed into oblivion, with the exception of those fortunate few in preservation today.....

"L.F.L."

Yes, never really thought I'd look back to early AMTRAK with a degree of fondness, not when I thought it had destroyed so much. Now - well, it saved a lot, too and I find I miss the variety. And am happy that there is still what we have. Even if i'd like to see things like Tejas to Denver, restoration of the Texas Chief, the return of the Texas Special and other things I remember from my youth.

Dallas to Houston faster than a car and a choice of silver (Burlington & Rock Island) or red, orange and black (Sunbeam) to do it. And air conditioned comfort (few cars had AC in those days). Ah well, guess I'm getting old when I look back and see things like that.

Former Member

« Reply #127 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:52pm »

Clyde:

I still recall thinking that, when they first hit AMTRAK's rails, that the ALP-44's and AEM-7's had a distinct "Euro" look that seemed quite exotic......I cannot believe now how many years have gone by since these electrics were still regarded as "the new kids on the block"..

Still remember my surprise and delight when I found a dome car in the consist of the eastbound BROADWAY I boarded at Union Station, back in 1986.

That moonlit night up in the dome....watching the signals flash by under a full moon.......man, what an experience...my one and only dome ride, and a ride I will certainly cherish in my memories as long as I'm still alive and kicking......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:54pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #128 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:59pm »

Living in NEC territory my entire life, I always regarded these engines as "exotic"; again, here is a "Heritage Era" AMTRAK photo (Chicago, 1975) recalling a time too many of us took for granted.....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk231abp.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2016, 10:59pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #129 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 11:08pm »

Grit......grime.....in the shadows of a fading remnant of the SANTA FE of yore (Chicago, 1980).......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk438aga.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 2nd, 2016, 11:08pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #130 on: Feb 2nd, 2016, 11:14pm »

"ALL ABOARD AMTRAK!" (Chicago, 1975).......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk537ags.jpg

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #131 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 4:30pm »

on Feb 1st, 2016, 3:44pm, L. F. LOREE 1403 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Clyde:

Given this, I was surprised that ANY GG-1's were ever repainted in a new AMTRAK scheme......and, how appropriate, sadly, when two G's, freshly painted in at somber black, double-headed the RFK funeral train, back in June of 1968 (G's #'s 4901 and #4903 were in charge of the 21-car funeral consist)

My mother, myself, and several neighbors viewed this train as it emerged from the Bergen Portals in North Bergen, NJ.

A VERY somber train, indeed.....as well as a somber moment in American history.

That drab black coat became even more somber if possible), by the time the last handful of G's were operating for the NJDOT, operating between NY and South Amboy, NJ (North Jersey Coast line, ex-NY&LB)

With the only "adornments" being miniscule NJDOT lettering (at least their numbers were fairly large), the most somber time in the history of the G's had arrived......the time of their twilight.

I still miss those big engines today......

"L.F.L."

*See this link for the G's which hauled the RFK funeral train in 1968, as well as a detailed account of rail-related incidents on that somber day):

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/GG1/funeral.php

(courtesy: steamlocomotive.com)

One of the RFK Funeral Train GG1s is in the RR Museum at Plano (late from Fair park - it was traded for the Museum's Mohawk that had been cosmetically altered to look like a T&P 900 (there is a sad and IMO somewhat sordid story there).

Former Member

« Reply #132 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 4:43pm »

Clyde:

Appreciate this info......I had no idea that either of the RFK funeral train G's had survived.

I would have loved to have seen that engine on display at the Smithsonian (had it been feasible) or at the RR Museum of Pennsylvania.

I do recall going aboard the PRR business car that carried the late Senator's body back in 1968, when it was on exhibit at one of the old Hoboken Terminal Festivals, many years ago.........

"L.F.L."

Former Member

« Reply #133 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:29pm »

A timeless early-era AMTRAK "Heritage" image from 1974; here we see a repainted dome-obs bringing up the rear of this train speeding through Glenview, Illinois......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk-trn009-ddc.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:32pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #134 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:34pm »

Interior of ex-NP dome car, 1976.......

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk-domint-csa.jpg

Former Member

« Reply #135 on: Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:40pm »

AMTRAK SW-1 #743 on duty at Chicago; note cars still painted for the N&W in the background.....

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk743dsa.jpg

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2016, 5:42pm by CLASSB » Logged
Former Member

« Reply #136 on: Feb 4th, 2016, 4:53pm »

.....look at how many of us (yours truly included) took TurboLiners, E-60's, and "Heritage" baggage cars for granted.......time flies much too fast for my tastes, especially when your hair turns gray, and you near your sixth decade on this spinning globe of crowded humanity......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2016, 4:54pm by CLASSB » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #137 on: Feb 4th, 2016, 8:50pm »

Never saw a Turboliner in service (either variety), and only saw a few domes during their time (only dome I was ever in on a moving train was SILVER PENTHOUSE on the Lone Star in 1975, until we up-graded to dome seats on the Grand Canyon Railroad a few years ago - recommend it, both the GCRR and their domes).

Former Member

« Reply #138 on: Feb 4th, 2016, 8:55pm »

on Feb 4th, 2016, 8:50pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Never saw a Turboliner in service (either variety), and only saw a few domes during their time (only dome I was ever in on a moving train was SILVER PENTHOUSE on the Lone Star in 1975, until we up-graded to dome seats on the Grand Canyon Railroad a few years ago - recommend it, both the GCRR and their domes).

Clyde:

That dome I rode out of Chicago back in '86 was the only AMTRAK dome I ever got to see "up close and personal".

The TurboLiners I had a few fleeting glimpses of, many years ago.

I was quite excited when AMTRAK began carrying express cars; for me, it was as throwback to the REA days of the 60's; today, like the G's, E-60's, domes, and "Heritage" cars, the express cars have themselves become a part of Amtrak's history......

"L.F.L."

« Last Edit: Feb 4th, 2016, 8:57pm by CLASSB » Logged
L. F. Lincoln
Former Member

« Reply #139 on: Feb 5th, 2016, 1:56pm »

In this 1975 photo, we see an ex-B&O E-8 (#206) hauling a train at 21st St., clattering through the complex ganglia of trackage.

Note all cars are wearing the new AMTRAK scheme..............

http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/amtk/amtk206dca.jpg

(courtesy: fallenflags.org0

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2016, 1:57pm by CLASSB » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »