Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 18th, 2017, 9:16am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

New Amtrak Routes
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   New Amtrak Routes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: New Amtrak Routes  (Read 152 times)
Capitollimited
Chaser
New Amtrak Routes

« on: Jun 11th, 2014, 6:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I was talking with a friend of mine the other day and we were discussing the possible Los Angeles area to Las Vegas trains. We both have lived in Las Vegas and have driven the Interstate to LA and the swarms of cars going 20-30 miles over the speed  limit on Fridays and Sundays. e both feel that this is an idea who time has come. We eventually got around to the Desert Wind and then other Amtrak trains that are deceased (North Coast Limited, National Limited and the Portland train (old age hits again) and the Chicago Florida train.  

Besides making some trains daily (Sunset and Cardinal) what are other routes that would seem to make sense for Amtrak service?  

We thought that a Minneapolis-KC with connections to the Zephyr would make sense. Extending the Heartland Flyer to KC was also given a nod as financially supportable.

I like the idea of a Cincinnati - Atlanta - Jacksonville train that might also have through cars from Chicago via the Cardinal.

Anyways, I'd like to hear from any others as to their thoughts and routes.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: New Amtrak Routes

« Reply #1 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 6:33pm »

Main problem with new trains (other than getting the freight railroads on board for them) would be rolling stock, seems to me. But given those "how do we do it" questions answered, I would suggest the Texas Zephyr revived (D-FW to Denver) might make sense, and would approve of the Heartland Flyer extended to KC.

A Dallas-Shreveport gambler's train has been suggested and might work. And of course the daily Sunset, maybe with a through sleeper to DC or even NYC via the Crescent as has been done in the past.

I can think of a number of others, either new or revived.

Oh - that Portland train you mentioned was the Portland Rose, i believe.

« Last Edit: Jun 14th, 2014, 7:56pm by ClydeDET » Logged
train48
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 6:33pm »

I's suggest a revival of the Ohio State Express- keeping the route thru Dayton & Columbus & connecting with the Empire Service to Buffalo.

train48
Railfan

« Reply #3 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 6:58pm »

Amtrak's FB page posed the same question recently. Quite a few good suggestions were presented.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jun 14th, 2014, 10:31pm »

on Jun 14th, 2014, 6:58pm, train48 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Amtrak's FB page posed the same question recently. Quite a few good suggestions were presented.

Since i don't (and won't) do Facebook - what were some of the routes suggested?

train48
Railfan

« Reply #5 on: Jun 15th, 2014, 9:44am »

on Jun 14th, 2014, 10:31pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Since i don't (and won't) do Facebook - what were some of the routes suggested?

Most of the suggestions from FB are the same ones here- resume the Utah - L.A. run -as well as Utah- Portland route. Some suggested re- opening the Sunset Ltd. from N.O. to Fla. again. Many wanted daily frequency to the bi- daily trains too.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Jun 15th, 2014, 7:30pm »

We are at the point where few trains can be added without huge investments.  It might be possible to add a second train to an existing route without breaking the bank, but on a currently unserved route?  That horse has long since left the barn.  The facilities are all gone and there would be much needed to get the track speed and capacity up.  Adding an extension to one of the New York to Buffalo trains to form another New York to Chicago train bight be fairly practical without breaking the bank.  A second New York to Atlanta might also be reasonably doable without adding much in the way of track.

But then if we look at something like Ft Worth - Dallas - Houston, which should have fairly good ridership, in order to get back to the 1950's four hour run time much would need to be doing.  First, access to a Houston station.  Which one and where?  Second a lot of track work.  I have recently seen a trackchart dated with the last few years.  Still a lot of 90 lb/yd rail, ABS, and a 40 mph speed limit.  Think of it:  When they were running the Rockets on this line, they were running 80 to 90 mph on 90 lb jointed rail.  That would be considered near insane today.  We would be looking at a near complete rail replacement plus ties and ballast.  By the time we do all that we might as well go the one small step further and fix it up for a 110 or 125 mph speed limit.  The new track material would be the same regardless of whether you go for 79 or 125.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Jun 16th, 2014, 5:48pm »

on Jun 15th, 2014, 7:30pm, George_Harris wrote:       (Click here for original message)
We are at the point where few trains can be added without huge investments.  It might be possible to add a second train to an existing route without breaking the bank, but on a currently unserved route?  That horse has long since left the barn.  The facilities are all gone and there would be much needed to get the track speed and capacity up.  Adding an extension to one of the New York to Buffalo trains to form another New York to Chicago train bight be fairly practical without breaking the bank.  A second New York to Atlanta might also be reasonably doable without adding much in the way of track.

But then if we look at something like Ft Worth - Dallas - Houston, which should have fairly good ridership, in order to get back to the 1950's four hour run time much would need to be doing.  First, access to a Houston station.  Which one and where?  Second a lot of track work.  I have recently seen a trackchart dated with the last few years.  Still a lot of 90 lb/yd rail, ABS, and a 40 mph speed limit.  Think of it:  When they were running the Rockets on this line, they were running 80 to 90 mph on 90 lb jointed rail.  That would be considered near insane today.  We would be looking at a near complete rail replacement plus ties and ballast.  By the time we do all that we might as well go the one small step further and fix it up for a 110 or 125 mph speed limit.  The new track material would be the same regardless of whether you go for 79 or 125.

Much of the ex-SP (now UP) line is up-dated, but getting from (roughly) Hempstead to downtown would be a matter of pretty slow urban running I think, whatever you did from D-FW to there. Last time they ran on that route (the Houston Section of the Inter-American, I think, before they renamed it Eagle, was around six or seven hours instead of the faster schedule under steam in 1937, or diesel until 1955. That  might be a better choice (if speed could be obtained) as it would serve two towns with substantial college populations and it just MIGHT be possible to attract them. I'd expect use of the current AMTRAK station on Washington Street, which ain't  in the most desirable part of Houston - I wouldn't leave my car parked there, for example, for sure not over-night.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »