Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 10:11am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Veterans Unit
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Varnish
   Amtrak Discussion
(Moderators: NYC_Subway_Fan, BNSF_1088, MidwestRailfan)
   Veterans Unit
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Veterans Unit  (Read 149 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Veterans Unit
  Amtrak_42_Veterans_Unit_on_Lake_Shore_Limited_small.jpg - 117938 Bytes
« on: Aug 24th, 2013, 3:28pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Not much on here about this unit. Amtrak unveiled locomotive #42 on 6/26/13 at Union Station in Washington DC in a special paint scheme that honors our nation's veterans. I caught it leading unit #90 on Train #48 the Lake Shore Limited eastbound through Buffalo, NY near the Buffalo-Depew station on 8/13/13 at 0939Hrs.
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Amtrak/Amtrak_42_Veterans_Unit_on_Lake_Shore_Limited_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2013, 8:52pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Veterans Unit

« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2013, 10:11pm »

Hadn't heard about that one.  need to see a view from the side to decide how "honored" I feel (as a veteran).

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Aug 25th, 2013, 6:42am »

on Aug 24th, 2013, 10:11pm, ClydeDET wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hadn't heard about that one.  need to see a view from the side to decide how "honored" I feel (as a veteran).
Try this link to some other photos: your favorite search engine for more photos.
CHESSIEMIKE

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2013, 8:51pm by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 25th, 2013, 6:26pm »

Satisfactory. Must confess i sometimes get tired of all the "Thank you for your service", which sometimes (often, really) seems rather perfunctory. Fashionable instead of honestly felt.

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2013, 6:28pm by ClydeDET » Logged
Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Aug 31st, 2013, 6:05am »

This is a very nice gesture in honour of the veterans.
The montage of photographs is very interesting, but what has the image of the naked girl sunbaking on a pleasure boat got to do with running trains?

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2013, 6:06am by Les_Shepherd » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Aug 31st, 2013, 8:43pm »

on Aug 31st, 2013, 6:05am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
This is a very nice gesture in honour of the veterans.
The montage of photographs is very interesting, but what has the image of the naked girl sunbaking on a pleasure boat got to do with running trains?

What does the girl have to do with running trains? Nothing i can think of, but she certainly isn't unattractive, and from down under as well, i think (looks to be a New Zealand origin picture, so a Kiwi, perhaps?).

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Aug 31st, 2013, 8:49pm »

Sorry about that. I just did a Google search and posted the link without looking through it. I should know better.
CHESSIEMIKE

Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 1st, 2013, 3:18am »

There is nothing to be sorry for. Both the montage and the variety therein were very good. It is a pity that you have taken them down. In this country such a photograph would be of no concern. We even use many words on television & radio which, I believe because of what we call 'wowsers', would not be used in the US.  

Clyde, why do you think she is from the southern hemisphere? We have the highest incidence of skin cancers in all of its forms, of any country in the world. Even the most vacuous girls would not lay in the sun like that. They would at least cover themselves in a good coat of a broad spectrum sunscreen.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 9:08pm »

Les, there was a ghost on the picture as it came up on my screen that said something like "New Zealand.net", leading me to believe/suspect it might be from there. Where i know there is a lot of sailboating.

We know a bit about solar exposure leading to skin cancer in my part of the world (Texas). And off the topic a bit, i have to apologize for the inhospitable act of some Dallas resident who stole your camera a few years ago. That isn't what most Texans do. Sadly, our big cities include too many of the wrong sort.

Les_Shepherd
Historian
  Cowra.jpg - 151655 Bytes
« Reply #9 on: Sep 8th, 2013, 6:51am »

One thing that we do much better than you in America is Veterans Memorials.

The image was scanned from this months issue of our local (national) railfan magazine, Railway Digest. It refers to a medium sized country town in the central west of New South Wales.  There are memorials like this the length and breadth of the nation.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Amtrak/Cowra.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013, 6:52am by Les_Shepherd » Logged

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Sep 20th, 2013, 9:49pm »

Now that is the sort of gesture i like to see, Les.

South Australia Broad Gauge is what - five feet? Or 5 foot, six inches?

Les_Shepherd
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Sep 21st, 2013, 7:43am »

The South Australian broad gauge is/was 5'3"; the same as Victoria. There is not much of it left.
When the line to Victoria & Melbourne was converted to standard gauge the Riverland branches were closed. A visit there a couple of years ago revealed some relics and evidence of the rights of way but in several towns the land has been alienated to other uses. The line north to Port Pirie was also converted to standard gauge to join the east-west line between Sydney and Perth.
Adelaide has always had an inferiority complex because the suburban network was not electrified. I always believed that this was misplaced and they had an excellent service provided by diesel railcars. Electrification is now underway and as part of the work the sleepers (ties) are being replaced with dual gauage concrete ones. This is to allow for future conversion to standard gauge. The first 2 lines should be open under electric traction with 6/12 months.

On the subject of verterans; you should pay us a visit and be in Sydney for April 25th. This is a  national holiday. The memorial services, parades etc start at 4.30am with dawn services. US service men & women are always well represented, particularly by the Marines attached to the Sydney Consulate. Whenever there is a US ship in port there is always a substantial rank from the ship in the Parade which starts at 9.00am.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Sep 24th, 2013, 9:47pm »

on Sep 21st, 2013, 7:43am, Les_Shepherd wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The South Australian broad gauge is/was 5'3"; the same as Victoria. There is not much of it left.
When the line to Victoria & Melbourne was converted to standard gauge the Riverland branches were closed. A visit there a couple of years ago revealed some relics and evidence of the rights of way but in several towns the land has been alienated to other uses. The line north to Port Pirie was also converted to standard gauge to join the east-west line between Sydney and Perth.
Adelaide has always had an inferiority complex because the suburban network was not electrified. I always believed that this was misplaced and they had an excellent service provided by diesel railcars. Electrification is now underway and as part of the work the sleepers (ties) are being replaced with dual gauage concrete ones. This is to allow for future conversion to standard gauge. The first 2 lines should be open under electric traction with 6/12 months.

On the subject of verterans; you should pay us a visit and be in Sydney for April 25th. This is a  national holiday. The memorial services, parades etc start at 4.30am with dawn services. US service men & women are always well represented, particularly by the Marines attached to the Sydney Consulate. Whenever there is a US ship in port there is always a substantial rank from the ship in the Parade which starts at 9.00am.

Would that i could, Les. Visit for the Memorial, i mean. I was much impressed by the Memorial in Sydney when I was on my R&R in 1969 - May IIRC.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »